Looking to build to replace my store bought lenovo

I am looking to do a build in the next few months. I have done most of the research into what will meet my needs. That being said it will be will be my first build and i would like other opinions before i go a head and start buying . My main

concerns are compatibility of all the parts together and  the power supply. I am not sure what kind of wattage output I'll need so when i put  together the shopping list i went over kill.

I will be using the machine for a lot of content creation: photography and movie creations through adobe creative cloud, a fair amount of 3D modeling/rendering (Architectural realism) through Maya and audio mixing (songs). Games will

definitely be played on it as well but are not the main use of the system. 

any feedback on this build will be appreciated and i will thank you all in advance for your input.

Parts List will be attached as I just made a shopping cart list on Memory Express's website. HOWEVER i do have a two choices for Motherboards (They are as follow)

Asus Sabertooth X99 $449.99  and the Asus X99-Pro $469.99.

Saber_tooth_3300.JPG

DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMN MAN I WANT THAT!!!!! 

1 minute ago, derek110110 said:

Asus X99-Pro $469.99.

GET THAT BRUH

CEO of DevTech Studios. OS X fanboy, Windows User. Bob Marley. 

looks pretty decent. not sure which of those two motherboards to choose though, someone else will have to answer.

what region do you live in? those prices seem really high (im in US)

Gaming - Ryzen 5800X3D | 64GB 3200mhz  MSI 6900 XT Mini-ITX SFF Build

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

holy shit

It's perfect

Snorlax: i7 5820k @4.5ghz, Asus X99 Pro, 32gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666, Cryorig R1 Ultimate, Samsung 850 evo 500gb, Asus GTX 1080 ROG Strix, Corsair RM850x, NZXT H440, Hue+

Smallsnor: Huawei Matebook X

Canon AE-1 w/ 50mm f/1.8 lens

Pentax KM w/ 55mm f/1.8 SMC lens

Zenit-E w/ 58mm f/2 Helios lens

Panasonic G7 with 14-42mm f/3.5 lens

Polaroid Spectra System

3 minutes ago, suchamoneypit said:

looks pretty decent. not sure which of those two motherboards to choose though, someone else will have to answer.

what region do you live in? those prices seem really high (im in US)

lol yeah prices are high (I'm in Canada) not sure if there is anywhere else to buy form here for better prices. everywhere seems to be within the same range. But if anyone does know of a good Canadian retailer that might be able to save a guy a few bucks then im all ears

3 minutes ago, derek110110 said:

lol yeah prices are high (I'm in Canada) not sure if there is anywhere else to buy form here for better prices. everywhere seems to be within the same range. But if anyone does know of a good Canadian retailer that might be able to save a guy a few bucks then im all ears

Use ca.pcpartpicker.com to find the best prices. And buy windows through the reddit softwareswap to save on the OS. 

I've had good experiences ordering parts from NCIX, Directcanada, and Newegg. 

Main Rig: CPU i7-4790k / MOBO Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) / RAM 16GB HyperX Fury 1866 MHz / CPU COOLER Dark Rock 3 / GPU Asus GTX 1070 Strix  / CASE Evolv ATX Tempered Glass / SSD Crucial MX200 250GB / HDD  WD Black 1TB + WD Blue 3TB / PSU EVGA 750G2 / DISPLAYS 2x Dell U2414h / KEYBOARD Corsair K70 RGB Cherry MX Brown / MOUSE Logitech G602 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 / i7-6700HQ, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, GTX 960m, 1080P Display

Cheap Windows/Office Keys

Built it for less http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/FvQgD3

EVGA Is a very good brand and P2 series is great.

Very good case

Hybrid gpu will stay cooler

Make sure to buy the protection thing from Kinguin,

If you get scammed they will refund you

Reliable $550 Starter PC (http://pcpartpicker.com/p/KGgpZL) *Just waiting for someone to need help with there ram so I can make a downloadmoreram.com joke*

28 minutes ago, FuriousGamer said:

Built it for less http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/FvQgD3

EVGA Is a very good brand and P2 series is great.

Very good case

Hybrid gpu will stay cooler

Make sure to buy the protection thing from Kinguin,

If you get scammed they will refund you

Sweet, thanks man. That saves a fair amount right there.

Why not get a case that will house an inexpensive optical drive instead of getting an external unit? I believe a Define R5 Black with window would work out to about the same cost.

Either motherboard is very good. I am not a fan of the "armor" on the Sabertooth, but they are excellent motherboards.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

Just now, brob said:

Why not get a case that will house an inexpensive optical drive instead of getting an external unit? I believe a Define R5 Black with window would work out to about the same cost.

Either motherboard is very good. I am not a fan of the "armor" on the Sabertooth, but they are excellent motherboards.

Yeah i do agree and the case is still likely to change. I may even do an all white build if i settle on the x99-pro (seeing as its white). I do like the look of white builds with hard-line

liquid cooling, but the hard-line would have come down the road for sure based on budget. Anyway if i get a case with a bay for an internal i will go that rout definitely. However if i have go external just because of a certain case that's fine by me too.

Nice build. However this is what I would change/reccomend: 

• both motherboards are good. Also look at the x99A. Any of them will suit your needs just fine
  • CPU is fine as well. 
  • Same for the ram 
  • the case is good but unless you go custom loop or if you prefer a quiet system to a larger window. 
  • Good graphics card but maybe wait for the next gen of graphics cars to come out as they are right around the corner. Also check out the R9 Fury if you want to cut costs a bit
  • Please do not get a closed loop AIO liquid cooler. I have had very bad experiences with them dying, leaking, occasionally stopping and being loud. If you want watercooling then go for an enthusiast grade AIO like the EKWB predator. Yes it is a bit more but it is undoubtably quieter, easier to fix and better at cooling. Another option is to get a full custom loop. EKWB and Alphacool make good 'custom loop in a box' kits that come with everything that you need. If you go down this road then cdisregard what I said about switching to the define r5. Even a good air cooler is not a bad option. Ones to have a look at that will preform as well as the h100i are the Noctua NHD14 and NHD15, the BeQuiet! Dark Rock 3 and Dark Rock Pro 3 and the CoolerMaster MasterAir Maker 8. That last one would be my pick if you care about asthetics however the nhd15 is probably marginally better at cooling. 
  • That power supply is fine. Great n fact. You could step down the wattage a bit if you want to save money. You could get away with a 550w but I reccomend the 750w so you have a nice amount of room for expansion. Hell the fans won't even kick in half the time. Also have a look at getting a lower wattage but higher quality supply. Seasonics Fanless models are good, if a bit low wattage or maybe the HXi series from corsair. Both have a 80plus platinum rating. 
  • Storage. Huh. My reccomendation is to get a slightly larger SSD, maybe the 500gb 850 evo and get a large hard drive seeing as you are doing content creation kind of stuff. Maybe a 1-4tb WD black or even a few in raid 1 
  • it is a choice but you could get a nice and cheap grey market Windows copy off kinguin. I have used it a heap and it has work fine for me. Saves money... 
  • You are spending a lot on a high end system and not much on peripherals. I reccomed getting a mechanical keyboard and a nicer mouse. I would check out the Azio MGK1 keyboard and the Logitech G502 or MX Master depending on hat you want. 
  • Monitor, speakers and heaphphones? 

Hope i helped. Tell me what you think :)

*oh and I saw some people saying you should get a case with 5.25" bays and get a internal optical drive. Don't. Just get the external one man...

I'm here to help people and have fun. Feel free to chat! 

i5 6500

Asus Z170-AR 

Saphhire Nitro 380X

Hyper X Fury Black 16gb (2x8gb) 2133

IT WILL DESTROY WORLDS!!! DON'T LET IT NEAR US, IT'S TOO OP!!!11!11!!

5 minutes ago, BurblingBarbacoa said:

Nice build. However this is what I would change/reccomend: 

• both motherboards are good. Also look at the x99A. Any of them will suit your needs just fine
  • CPU is fine as well. 
  • Same for the ram 
  • the case is good but unless you go custom loop or if you prefer a quiet system to a larger window. 
  • Good graphics card but maybe wait for the next gen of graphics cars to come out as they are right around the corner. Also check out the R9 Fury if you want to cut costs a bit
  • Please do not get a closed loop AIO liquid cooler. I have had very bad experiences with them dying, leaking, occasionally stopping and being loud. If you want watercooling then go for an enthusiast grade AIO like the EKWB predator. Yes it is a bit more but it is undoubtably quieter, easier to fix and better at cooling. Another option is to get a full custom loop. EKWB and Alphacool make good 'custom loop in a box' kits that come with everything that you need. If you go down this road then cdisregard what I said about switching to the define r5. Even a good air cooler is not a bad option. Ones to have a look at that will preform as well as the h100i are the Noctua NHD14 and NHD15, the BeQuiet! Dark Rock 3 and Dark Rock Pro 3 and the CoolerMaster MasterAir Maker 8. That last one would be my pick if you care about asthetics however the nhd15 is probably marginally better at cooling. 
  • That power supply is fine. Great n fact. You could step down the wattage a bit if you want to save money. You could get away with a 550w but I reccomend the 750w so you have a nice amount of room for expansion. Hell the fans won't even kick in half the time. Also have a look at getting a lower wattage but higher quality supply. Seasonics Fanless models are good, if a bit low wattage or maybe the HXi series from corsair. Both have a 80plus platinum rating. 
  • Storage. Huh. My reccomendation is to get a slightly larger SSD, maybe the 500gb 850 evo and get a large hard drive seeing as you are doing content creation kind of stuff. Maybe a 1-4tb WD black or even a few in raid 1 
  • it is a choice but you could get a nice and cheap grey market Windows copy off kinguin. I have used it a heap and it has work fine for me. Saves money... 
  • You are spending a lot on a high end system and not much on peripherals. I reccomed getting a mechanical keyboard and a nicer mouse. I would check out the Azio MGK1 keyboard and the Logitech G502 or MX Master depending on hat you want. 
  • Monitor, speakers and heaphphones? 

Hope i helped. Tell me what you think :)

This is great. Im going to look into a custom loop right off the bat and for ease of my first build maybe even a good air cooler. Also than you for the info on my power supply ill most likely tune that down to a 750 watt unit.  As far as this kinguin I'm liking the large amount of mentions i have heard from here and youtube (seems ligit lol). As for peripherals I was mostly focusing on getting a system built so i can get out of my store leased PC.

I have just leased my lenovo (deffinetly over paying) as a means to keep working because my other 5 year old system just dose not cut it anymore (HP Laptop) as my work load is getting much more demanding ... long story short I cheaped out on peripherals based on my budget and i would much rather upgrade mice keyboard etc later over upgrading the system.

7 minutes ago, derek110110 said:

This is great. Im going to look into a custom loop right off the bat and for ease of my first build maybe even a good air cooler. Also than you for the info on my power supply ill most likely tune that down to a 750 watt unit.  As far as this kinguin I'm liking the large amount of mentions i have heard from here and youtube (seems ligit lol). As for peripherals I was mostly focusing on getting a system built so i can get out of my store leased PC.

I have just leased my lenovo (deffinetly over paying) as a means to keep working because my other 5 year old system just dose not cut it anymore (HP Laptop) as my work load is getting much more demanding ... long story short I cheaped out on peripherals based on my budget and i would much rather upgrade mice keyboard etc later over upgrading the system.

• Cool. I'll include a link for what I think is the best air cooler, AIO and the best custom loop kit. Just please don't get a closed loop cooler. 
  • Yep. 750w is fine 
  • kinguin seems more or less legitimate to me. It's worked for me fine. 
  • Ok. I understand. Take a look at the keyboard and mouse that I mentioned when you can afford it. 

Air cooler: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103208

AIO: https://www.ekwb.com/shop/aio

Kit: https://www.ekwb.com/shop/kits/performance-series

I'm here to help people and have fun. Feel free to chat! 

i5 6500

Asus Z170-AR 

Saphhire Nitro 380X

Hyper X Fury Black 16gb (2x8gb) 2133

Thanks everyone for the help thus far. With the revise of the system and even with settling on the x99 pro i seem to have saved a fair bit. I will be using kinguin for a copy of

windows to save a fair chunk. As well as changing the ram up saved me $100. I'll be going air cooling until i go to a custom loop. So adding on $528.80 for: a case ($160),

Windows professional ($40) and of course tax ($328.80) I come in at $231.16 less so hell yeah!

Here is the new parts list. I just put it together on memory express again, so based on what i saw with the previous list i should be able to save even more with

PCPartsPicker.com.

Let me know what you all think and thanks for the input.

Asus_Pro_White_Build.PNG