8400 x 1050 Build Question

RyuuTenshi

Hey guys,

I'm not that new here but this is the first time I have ever posted. thanks for your advise in advance.

I am currently running 5 screens at a resolution of 8400 x 1050, using a 2600k OC'ed to 4.6ghz on water. 2 GTX 680's in SLI and 8gb Kingston hyperx ram. Using a Corsair force SSD and a ASUS Maximus 4 Extreme Mobo.

I play a range of games at this resolution but lately its getting rather sad. I have to upgrade. now here is my question either way I will be running 2 Cards in SLI. but what would be suitable? here is my current Parts list.

Asus Rampage 5 Extreme

i7 5820k

32gb Corsair Dominator platinum ram

Samsung Pro SSD M2

EVGA 1600w gold PSU

Full Water cooling setup using EK blocks and pumps.

Here are My choices for Cards.

2 x GTX908ti's

or

2 x GTX980's maybe

or

3 x GTX 980's

Now pricing isn't too big of an issue, but I do want to play the games below at full graphics at 8400 x 1050 no compromise.

Wow (of course)

Battlefield 4

Call of duty BO3 and 2

The new Need for speed when it comes out.

my fav game Crysis 3

What is your advice????

Youd be best off with 2 or 3 980Ti's.

Mind if I ask to see a picture of this monitor setup? Seems pretty intense :o 

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

well ill say this... I have a system pretty much exactly like that, but i have 4 monitors. 3 2560x1440 for my main monitors and a 1080p tv up top. so.... I get around 15-60 fps depending on the game in 7680x1440 resolution which is 3 1440p monitors. 

Tombraider you can forget about, though i get 60fps at 1440p. I have 1 980ti atm. so at the bare least im gonna recommend 2 980tis to have a decent experience fps wise though your gaming at 1050.... which is weird

Tsubasa (The 7680x1440 beast): CPU: Intel i7 8086k | Cooler: Fully Custom Rigid Loop MOBO: Asus Z370-I ITX | GPU: Nvidia Titan Xp Star Wars | RAM: 32Gb 2x16gb Gskill Trident Z RGB | SSD: Samsung 1TB 970 Evo Nvme, 2TB Micron Sata SSD | Case: Fractal Design Nano S | PSU: Corsair SF600 With Full custom cables  

5 minutes ago, RyuuTenshi said:

Buy new displays before you do anything else, go 12K, and wait for the new GPUs coming in a few months to buy a top end GPU you're going to get much more for your money

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8L1cz1Hr6Hs

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

I will post one when I get home. it is very intense but I wouldn't have it any other way. looks amazing and you see so much more. also very good training for your peripheral vision lol

I wasn't really looking at going 3 Ti's as I cant justify 3k just on cards. 2k is going to be enough haha. would buy another later on if I absolutely have to.

Just now, RyuuTenshi said:

I will post one when I get home. it is very intense but I wouldn't have it any other way. looks amazing and you see so much more. also very good training for your peripheral vision lol

I wasn't really looking at going 3 Ti's as I cant justify 3k just on cards. 2k is going to be enough haha. would buy another later on if I absolutely have to.

well the only thing that may save you is that your playing at 1050/1080. so i would at the bare min get 2 980tis

Tsubasa (The 7680x1440 beast): CPU: Intel i7 8086k | Cooler: Fully Custom Rigid Loop MOBO: Asus Z370-I ITX | GPU: Nvidia Titan Xp Star Wars | RAM: 32Gb 2x16gb Gskill Trident Z RGB | SSD: Samsung 1TB 970 Evo Nvme, 2TB Micron Sata SSD | Case: Fractal Design Nano S | PSU: Corsair SF600 With Full custom cables  

im using 5 1680 x 1050 screens. hence the resolution. I am looking at 5 Samsung curved screens in around 6 months at 4k. so I do have to take that into account.

1 minute ago, RyuuTenshi said:

im using 5 1680 x 1050 screens. hence the resolution. I am looking at 5 Samsung curved screens in around 6 months at 4k. so I do have to take that into account.

You're going to be better off spending more on your displays now rather than your GPUs.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

wait are you talking about getting 5 4k monitors....

yes I do want to but I fear the amount of GPU power I will need to run 5 monitors at 4k would be insane. so even some really nice 1440 or 1080 screens are also an option.

... there will be no gpu that will run 5 4k monitors even in 2 or may even 3 way sli.... Not even pascal will be enough for that. everyone's overhyping pascal but it will not be a huge jump like everyone expects. you said you dont want to spend 3k on gpus but you want to spend even more than that for 4k monitors. at the very least you will need around 3 titan x just to run triple 4k... so to run 5 4k monitors is dumb and a waste of money.

even at 1440 res 5 monitors is gonna use a hell of alot of power. and will likely take 3 way or more sli of pascal cards

10 minutes ago, RyuuTenshi said:

yes I do want to but I fear the amount of GPU power I will need to run 5 monitors at 4k would be insane. so even some really nice 1440 or 1080 screens are also an option.

Why would you even want 5 4k displays? 3 is going to be more than enough pixels and will already fill up your field of view if you're buying 40" 4k displays

Spoiler

ok so 1080p screens it will be. what I don't get is I am currently running 5 1050 screens now on 2 gtx 680s on medium graphics and still pull 40 - 50 fps. I would have though the 2 980ti's would be a huge increase.

I don't want to go that big. was looking at the less than 30" ones. mine are 22" now. and they are nice. looking at probably the 25" to 28" range. to be honest.  

Just now, RyuuTenshi said:

ok so 1080p screens it will be. what I don't get is I am currently running 5 1050 screens now on 2 gtx 680s on medium graphics and still pull 40 - 50 fps. I would have though the 2 980ti's would be a huge increase.

Invest in displays rather than GPUs, like you can run 1080p on a 4k display without much issue for games, and buying 5 1080p displays isn't going to be much of an upgrade, just invest in 40" 4k displays now, and you'll thank me later, anything else is going to be a bad buy.

Also 2 non X Fury cards are going to be a better buy right now, and you should really just wait for the new GPUs to spend money on the m

Spoiler

why go 5 screens? why not? why buy anything that's over the top? its like a single dude wanting to buy a mustang. all he really needs is a Hyundai. same thing. I have 5 now I like 5 want to keep it at 5. plus the wow factor comes into play well. plus gaming on 5 screens is amazing. if I game on 1 screen now I feel like I have a box on my head.

why go 5 screens? why not? why buy anything that's over the top? its like a single dude wanting to buy a mustang. all he really needs is a Hyundai. same thing. I have 5 now I like 5 want to keep it at 5. plus the wow factor comes into play well. plus gaming on 5 screens is amazing. if I game on 1 screen now I feel like I have a box on my head.

With your budget you could easily buy 3 40" 4k displays, and it's going to be a better experience since you won't have bezels, and in addition you have way more vertical/horizontal pixels compared to 1080p, which isn't wide enough for web browsing

and in addition, 3 large 4k displays is going to have a bajillion more pixels than you'll ever need, and you can upgrade to 5 in about 6 years when GPUs can run 5 4k displays, or replace them with 3 8k displays by then

Spoiler