Good quality wireless headphones/headset with Mac OS X/Linux support?

YiamiYo
Go to solution Solved by Mogwai,

So I guess "good" and "wireless" don't like each other.

After some research, I'm stuck between AKG K240 Studio/MKII and Beyerdynamic DT770/990 250ohms.

It seems the K240's Studio is the same as MKII without the extras. Can anyone confirm that? It's a big difference in price for just that.

Again, my primary goal is comfort. I'll use them for pretty much anything... (Music, movies, games and a bit of noob audio editing/mixing)

My setup is onboard Realtek ALC889 audio and a pair of YST-M15's.

It says "Output Impedance: 900 ohms", so I guess they could drive any of these?

Or maybe a better question would be which ones make Linus sound better? :P

I've used studio K240's before, the MKII version just has better ear pads for added comfort and you get an extra twisted cable. The MKII's were just to replace the Studio's they are both 55ohms and you will get the same quality out of both pretty much. I prefer the look of the studio K240's though :)

The DT770's and 990's are great aswell. The 770's are closed and the 990's are open, so if depends on if you prefer open or closed headphones. My self prefer open so I would go with a pair of 990's. The K240's are great as well, but since you where glasses though the 990/770's would be more comfortable for you.

Brand new 990's just under $150:http://www.ebay.com/itm/Beyerdynamic-DT-990-PRO-Open-Back-Headphones-DT990-Pro-Extended-Warranty-/310738150681?pt=US_DJ_Monitoring_Headphones&hash=item48596fe519

Update: I may have marked this as answered, but the answer is "good" and "wireless" just don't like each other...

Personally I prefer quality over convenience, so I stuck with wired headphones.

Hello,

After 2 years with my first "real" headset it's time for a replacement mainly because it's about to fall apart...

I have a Creative Sound Blaster Tactic3D Sigma Gaming Headset, and even though it lacks build quality, it's pretty comfortable and a hell of a lot better than some crappy $10 headphones I had before that hurt my ears after 5 mins...

I'm a Corsair fanboy, but I don't let my "fanboyism" control me...I just love the build quality and looks of their products.

Corsair Vengeance 2000/2100 look awesome, but I'm not sure if it works with Linux or Mac OS X. Has anyone tried it?

If I can't find anything that mainly has good build quality and it's wireless that works cross platform, I think I'll get the analog Corsair Vengeance 1400.

I'm open for any other suggestion, wireless or analog, as long as it has good build quality and industrial design.

I like analog because I can use it with pretty much anything, but being wireless is also very convenient.

I don't really need a microphone since I use a Zoom H1 via USB and it works great.

I also checked out Sennheiser HD 280 PRO, but reviewers said it lacks a bit in build quality.

But most important: comfort

I use my headset like 14-18 hours a day, so I need something suitable (for some reason I wear it even when I'm not listening to anything, as long as I'm in front of my computer)

As of sound quality, I don't really think my ears can tell the difference, so as long as it's working without any problems, it's fine by me.

Almost forgot: My budget is around $100-$150.

Thanks,

YiamiYo

Do you need a headset or headphone? If you were wanting a headphone I would go with Sennheiser's RS160's, great budget wireless headphones. They are just pushing your budget at $155, but they are fantastic for the money.

http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-160-Digital-Wireless-Headphones/dp/B002SOU2Y0

IF you want to read some reviews here's a start:

http://www.whathifi.com/review/sennheiser-rs-160

I don't need a microphone so either is fine.

The RS160 are indeed great, but reviews say they aren't comfortable in the long run.

I also don't think you can use them while charging which is a must for me.

Otherwise, I like this type with the external transmitter and the regular 3.5mm audio jack.

The RS160 are indeed great, but reviews say they aren't comfortable in the long run.

I also don't think you can use them while charging which is a must for me.

Otherwise, I like this type with the external transmitter and the regular 3.5mm audio jack.

You can run them off batteries as well :)

*Edit: They last a full 24 hours of a pair of fully charged batteries, great for portable use as well 

Do you need a headset or headphone? 

me_gusta_by_projectendo-d2z3rku.jpg

I only wish I knew a thing or two about wireless headphones.

Wireless has buzzing at times. I have turtlebeach x4s from a long time ago and that was the worst thing I could say about them.

i5 4670k | Sapphire 7950 | Kingston 120GB SSD | Seagate 1TB | G.Skill Ripjaw X Series 8GB

PB238Q | Steelseries Sensei | Ducky DK9087 | Qck Heavy

Build Log: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/44902-from-imac-to-my-own-creation/

Wireless has buzzing at times. I have turtlebeach x4s from a long time ago and that was the worst thing I could say about them.

There is a big quality leap from going from a pair of turtlebeaches to something like a pair of RS160's.

Actual headphones are much better than "gaming headsets".

I've never heard of anyone getting buzzing from their RS160's.

There is a big quality leap from going from a pair of turtlebeaches to something like a pair of RS160's.

Actual headphones are much better than "gaming headsets".

I've never heard of anyone getting buzzing from their RS160's.

It was more of a warning to him. I think I'd go for a wired pair personally but more power to ya OP.

i5 4670k | Sapphire 7950 | Kingston 120GB SSD | Seagate 1TB | G.Skill Ripjaw X Series 8GB

Build Log: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/44902-from-imac-to-my-own-creation/

It was more of a warning to him. I think I'd go for a wired pair personally but more power to ya OP.

Alright, I wouldn't personally get a wireless headphone, but he's the buying :)

inb4 voltage not power hue hue hue

Totes not helping OP #feelsbadman

inb4 voltage not power hue hue hue

Totes not helping OP #feelsbadman

I wish I could help, I don't know much about headsets, even less about wireless ones lol.

Alright, I wouldn't personally get a wireless headphone, but he's the buying :)

I don't really mind being it wired, if I can't find the same quality/comfort in a wireless one at my budget.

If it can handle falls, it's fine :P

I don't really mind being it wired, if I can't find the same quality/comfort in a wireless one at my budget.

If it can handle falls, it's fine :P

If you are willing to go wired some more options are ATH-M50, HD 558, MDR-XB500, AKG K240, so on and so on. 

You have a ton of options, you said you want comfort. personally I can attest to the MDR-XB500's being incredibly comfortable. All these though are great options to take a look at.

If you are willing to go wired some more options are ATH-M50, HD 558, MDR-XB500, AKG K240, so on and so on. 

You have a ton of options, you said you want comfort. personally I can attest to the MDR-XB500's being incredibly comfortable. All these though are great options to take a look at.

MDR-XB500 and the likes seem to be "No Longer Available".

I guess I'll have to upgrade my budget to $200.

Maybe I'll try going for HD 558 and find out what Linus is rumbling about :P

Thanks

MDR-XB500 and the likes seem to be "No Longer Available".

I guess I'll have to upgrade my budget to $200.

Maybe I'll try going for HD 558 and find out what Linus is rumbling about :P

Thanks

Other great options are Beyerdynamic's Pro versions of the DT770 and DT990, though I do personally prefer the fit of Sennheiser's HD line.

I live in Greece so shipping and imports from US are kind of any deal breaker.

They cost around 145 euros locally which is about $195.

Check out the AKG 240's they are only $80 

http://www.amazon.com/AKG-240-Semi-Open-Studio-Headphones/dp/B0001ARCFA

*Fun fact for anyone that cares, I just found out today that my favorite musician Jacob Bannon from Converge uses these while in the studio :)

Other great options are Beyerdynamic's Pro versions of the DT770 and DT990, though I do personally prefer the fit of Sennheiser's HD line.

+1 I was going to add the 770's in but they were pushing $150, I wanted to try to stay close as possible. :)

770's are a great choice though 

Too high impedance I think. My amplifier is an old pair of Yamaha YST-M15 speakers :P

Check out the AKG 240's they are only $80 

http://www.amazon.com/AKG-240-Semi-Open-Studio-Headphones/dp/B0001ARCFA

*Fun fact for anyone that cares, I just found out today that my favorite musician Jacob Bannon from Converge uses these while in the studio :)

These look promising. No idea why I skipped them earlier. Reviews are good.

Btw, what's the difference between Studio and MK II?

Don't get wireless anything!!!

I have the senns HDR120's with the TR120 base, I can tell you they are very comfy, BUT:

I am not lying I promise, somewhere in the wireless transmission section the frequency range is not just uneven but is also transposed so that after 8 khz the freq. is transposed down and up again until the input signal reaches 10Khz then from 16Khz on the the input signal is transposed down until it gets to 20Hz instead of 20Khz.  I tell you it's crazy.

The good thing most music has its fundamentals at or below 4Khz and it first harmonic at or below 8Khz so it isn't really noticable, Unless you are like me and tests the freq. response of everything I touch.

So in short, they feel good, sound good to about 7Khz, and have a noticable noise floor. I wouldn't touch wireless again.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Oh, I forgot to mention I wear glasses.

Just something to keep in mind, if you happen to know your suggestion isn't quite comfortable with glasses.

Don't get wireless anything!!!

I have the senns HDR120's with the TR120 base, I can tell you they are very comfy, BUT:

I am not lying I promise, somewhere in the wireless transmission section the frequency range is not just uneven but is also transposed so that after 8 khz the freq. is transposed down and up again until the input signal reaches 10Khz then from 16Khz on the the input signal is transposed down until it gets to 20Hz instead of 20Khz.  I tell you it's crazy.

The good thing most music has its fundamentals at or below 4Khz and it first harmonic at or below 8Khz so it isn't really noticable, Unless you are like me and tests the freq. response of everything I touch.

So in short, they feel good, sound good to about 7Khz, and have a noticable noise floor. I wouldn't touch wireless again.

I don't really like wireless either, I just though I'd try it since it's very convenient and I would finally stop tripping on the cord :P

Too high impedance I think. My amplifier is an old pair of Yamaha YST-M15 speakers :P

These look promising. No idea why I skipped them earlier. Reviews are good.

Btw, what's the difference between Studio and MK II?

The MKII and studios are pretty much the same, except the MKII is more comfortable and has better ear pads, etc. If you want better comfort go for the MKII :)

I don't really like wireless either, I just though I'd try it since it's very convenient and I would finally stop tripping on the cord :P

Man, I do that all the time. But I can't handle the sound of the wireless.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.