Microsoft will remove RC4 cipher support in Microsoft Edge and IE11 on April 12th,2016.

Microsoft will remove RC4 cipher support in Microsoft Edge and IE11 from April

by Pradeep

Source: http://mspoweruser.com/microsoft-will-remove-rc4-cipher-support-microsoft-edge-ie11-april/

2nd Source: https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/srd/2013/11/12/security-advisory-2868725-recommendation-to-disable-rc4/

Last year, Microsoft announced their decision to end the support of the RC4 cipher in Microsoft Edge and Internet Explorer 11 in early 2016. Today, they confirmed that this change will be released as part of April’s cumulative security updates on April 12th, 2016. 

In light of recent research into practical attacks on biases in the RC4 stream cipher, Microsoft is recommending that customers enable TLS1.2 in their services and take steps to retire and deprecate RC4 as used in their TLS implementations. Microsoft recommends TLS1.2 with AES-GCM as a more secure alternative which will provide similar performance.

The quotes and title sum it up pretty much. There is not much more to add.

I suggest reading the 2nd source for details on the cipher and the history behind the decision.

Frankly I am happy to see this move. 

Thoughts?

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Good call 

My Build:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 4770k GPU: GTX 780 Direct CUII Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero SSD: 840 EVO 250GB HDD: 2xSeagate 2 TB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W

Pretty sure it's not supported by chrome or firefox any more already but it's good to see that Microsoft will be dropping it too. 

HTTP/2 203