Best GTX 970 to pair with Intel 6600k and Asus Z170 Pro Gaming

Quelux
3 minutes ago, Quelux said:

I do plan on overclocking my CPU, thus the 6600k, and would also like a small bit of future proofing to get me by for a while. 

that not what this guy was askin. He asked if you intend to OC GPU. IF you want most future proof thing WITHOU OC then r9 390 (unless rads do some disaster with drivers but from what i see they go in good direction to not make this happen ). BUT if you intend to OC GPU and dont care much about resolution (stick to 1080 to be more specific) than 970. 

Thats what i think.

CPU i5 6600k 4,4Ghz , COOLER Dark Rock 3 from BQ, RAM 16 GB of ddr 4 2800MHz from corsair,

PSU EVGA 750 W GOLD G2, MOBO Msi z170A Gaming M3, CASE NZXT H440 Black/Blue,

GPU Geforce GTX 980 Gigabyte G1 Gaming,

STORAGE 1 SSD Samsung 850 Evo 250 GB and 1 HDD 500GB WD, Windows 8.1.

4 minutes ago, Vellinious said:

The 970s have a lot more headroom for overclocking, and end up passing up the 390s.  The 3XX series just aren't very good overclockers.  If you plan on overclocking the GPU, the 970s overclock like a dream and are easy as hell to bios mod for additional power.

If you just want to throw a mild overclock on the GPU, then, for 1080 gaming, again...either the 390 or the 970 will work just fine.

If you go with the 970, go with the Gigabyte, MSI or EVGA cards.  With EVGA, make sure it's the ACX 2.0+ version, and not the ACX 2.0 version.  For the 390, XFX and Sapphire both make excellent GPUs.

I totally agree

CPU: Intel Core i7 Extreme Edition 3960X | Motherboard: Intel DX79SR "Stormville" | RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series DDR3 PC3-12800 (4x 8GB) Quad-Channel | GPU: 2x EVGA GTX 970 FTW 4GB in SLI (I have Many other builds plus 100+ Macs (don't judge me)... Many specs are listed on my profile)

[PC#1] Log: [Link] [PC#2] Log: [Link] F@H stats: [Link]

1 hour ago, Quelux said:

I am looking for advice on the best model GTX 970 to pair with and Intel 6600k CPU and Asus Z170 Pro Gaming motherboard. Thank you in advance. 

used to have a MSI GTX 970 Golden Edition, the best i have ever had :)

1 hour ago, Vellinious said:

The 970s have a lot more headroom for overclocking, and end up passing up the 390s.  The 3XX series just aren't very good overclockers.  If you plan on overclocking the GPU, the 970s overclock like a dream and are easy as hell to bios mod for additional power.

If you just want to throw a mild overclock on the GPU, then, for 1080 gaming, again...either the 390 or the 970 will work just fine.

If you go with the 970, go with the Gigabyte, MSI or EVGA cards.  With EVGA, make sure it's the ACX 2.0+ version, and not the ACX 2.0 version.  For the 390, XFX and Sapphire both make excellent GPUs.

I belive ok going to go with the 390.do you have a favorite/best 390 in your opinion in preferably the lower $300 but upper $300 if necessary? 

Not really....I'm not a fan of the 390s myself.  I overclock, and they're crap for overclocking, so I just never paid much attention to them.  After talking with a few of the other guys that have experience overclocking them, I ended up buying an 8GB 290X for the same money as the 390 and got better performance.  BUT, my card is under water, and the stock coolers on the 3xx series cards are a bit better.  

Like I said....XFX and Sapphire both make really good cards.  The difference in one with a mild overclock is not going to be noticeable to another.  Pick one...

CPU: Ryzen 1600X @ 4.15ghz  MB: ASUS Crosshair VI Mem: 32GB GSkill TridenZ 3200
GPU: 1080 FTW PSU: EVGA SuperNova 1000P2 / EVGA SuperNova 750P2  SSD: 512GB Samsung 950 PRO
HD: 2 x 1TB WD Black in RAID 0  Cooling: Custom cooling loop on CPU and GPU  OS: Windows 10

1 minute ago, Vellinious said:

Not really....I'm not a fan of the 390s myself.  I overclock, and they're crap for overclocking, so I just never paid much attention to them.  After talking with a few of the other guys that have experience overclocking them, I ended up buying an 8GB 290X for the same money as the 390 and got better performance.  BUT, my card is under water, and the stock coolers on the 3xx series cards are a bit better.  

Like I said....XFX and Sapphire both make really good cards.  The difference in one with a mild overclock is not going to be noticeable to another.  Pick one...

What GTX Card do you run, or do you not currently have one? 

I've run ACX 2.0 FTWs, 980 FTWs, and I currently have an XFX 8GB 290X.  All my cards were under water with heavily modified bios versions, though.  For air cooling, I would choose different cards.  I highlighted that above.  ACX 2.0+ for 970, 3xx series cards for AMD

GPU: 1080 FTW PSU: EVGA SuperNova 1000P2 / EVGA SuperNova 750P2  SSD: 512GB Samsung 950 PRO
HD: 2 x 1TB WD Black in RAID 0  Cooling: Custom cooling loop on CPU and GPU  OS: Windows 10

28 minutes ago, Vellinious said:

I've run ACX 2.0 FTWs, 980 FTWs, and I currently have an XFX 8GB 290X.  All my cards were under water with heavily modified bios versions, though.  For air cooling, I would choose different cards.  I highlighted that above.  ACX 2.0+ for 970, 3xx series cards for AMD

What does ACX 2.0+ mean exactly? 

The ACX 2.0+ cards have increased power limits, better VRM and better cooling for the VRM and VRAM.

Asus Strix 970, no worries. Good performer, silent, asus tweak utility is superb.

Youtube Gaming Channel : International Gaming Forum (IGF) : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3kAr9J4RlOjuRVmoBRu5fQ

Intel Core i7 6700k   I   Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 Motherboard   I   Gskill Ripjaws V F4 3000Mhz 16GB RAM   I   Gigabyte Nvidia Geforce GTX 970 G1 Gaming   I   Samsung 850 Evo M.2 SSD

I   Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SATA SSD   I   Seagate 4TB Mechanical HDD   I   Antec H2O 1250 CPU Liquid Cooler   I   NZXT Source 530 Full Tower Chassis   I   Mad Catz Cyborg V7 Gaming Keyboard   

I   Mad Catz M.M.O.T.E Gaming Mouse   I     So Basically, Oculus Ready!

11 hours ago, Vellinious said:

The ACX 2.0+ cards have increased power limits, better VRM and better cooling for the VRM and VRAM.

How about the EVGA GEFORCE GTX 970 FTW+? 

1 hour ago, Chirag Borawake said:

Asus Strix 970, no worries. Good performer, silent, asus tweak utility is superb.

The STRIX 970 aren't very good for overclocking.  They're limited to 1.212v at the VRM, and with only one power connector, they're very power limited.  I'd never suggest the STRIX 970....not even to someone that just wanted to plug and play.

59 minutes ago, Quelux said:

How about the EVGA GEFORCE GTX 970 FTW+? 

The FTW+ is a dual bios card with increased power limit and a really good power phase.  If you plan on overclocking, that's a very good choice for stock cooling.  They don't make blocks for them though, so if you're looking to go to water cooling, that won't work.

31 minutes ago, Vellinious said:

The STRIX 970 aren't very good for overclocking.  They're limited to 1.212v at the VRM, and with only one power connector, they're very power limited.  I'd never suggest the STRIX 970....not even to someone that just wanted to plug and play.

The FTW+ is a dual bios card with increased power limit and a really good power phase.  If you plan on overclocking, that's a very good choice for stock cooling.  They don't make blocks for them though, so if you're looking to go to water cooling, that won't work.

I suggested Strix because it will pair nicely with his Asus motherboard. Otherwise, with respect to overclocking, Gigabyte G1 Gaming edition is totally awesome. I own one of them.

Youtube Gaming Channel : International Gaming Forum (IGF) : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3kAr9J4RlOjuRVmoBRu5fQ

Intel Core i7 6700k   I   Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 Motherboard   I   Gskill Ripjaws V F4 3000Mhz 16GB RAM   I   Gigabyte Nvidia Geforce GTX 970 G1 Gaming   I   Samsung 850 Evo M.2 SSD

I   Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SATA SSD   I   Seagate 4TB Mechanical HDD   I   Antec H2O 1250 CPU Liquid Cooler   I   NZXT Source 530 Full Tower Chassis   I   Mad Catz Cyborg V7 Gaming Keyboard   

I   Mad Catz M.M.O.T.E Gaming Mouse   I     So Basically, Oculus Ready!

I would agree with that.  The G1s are very good cards.

Would you recommend the G1 Gaming over the FTW+?

3 hours ago, Vellinious said:

I would agree with that.  The G1s are very good cards.

Would you recommend the G1 over the FTW+? 

5 hours ago, Vellinious said:

OCN is crawling with 1.275-1.3v bioses for the STRIX with added tdp.   it's not hard locked at the vrm for 1.212.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

21 hours ago, HrutkayMods said:

970: EVGA FTW or SSC

390: I hear the ASUS Strix is pretty nice

Nope. Not ASUS. And not Gigabyte.

Sapphire or MSI.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

3 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

Nope. Not ASUS. And not Gigabyte.

Sapphire or MSI.

When I was on team red I had an XFX (still technically have it) what happened to XFX? aren't they still good?

CPU: Intel Core i7 Extreme Edition 3960X | Motherboard: Intel DX79SR "Stormville" | RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series DDR3 PC3-12800 (4x 8GB) Quad-Channel | GPU: 2x EVGA GTX 970 FTW 4GB in SLI (I have Many other builds plus 100+ Macs (don't judge me)... Many specs are listed on my profile)

Just now, HrutkayMods said:

When I was on team red I had an XFX (still technically have it) what happened to XFX? aren't they still good?

They're right behind Sapphire and MSI, along with PowerColor following XFX. Asus and Gigabyte are crap though

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

17 minutes ago, Lays said:

OCN is crawling with 1.275-1.3v bioses for the STRIX with added tdp.   it's not hard locked at the vrm for 1.212.

Changing the settings in the bios don't do anything for the STRIX in terms of voltage.  There was a voltage tool that people were using for the STRIX cards (I know it worked on the 980 and 980ti), but....I'm not sure if it even works any more.  It had been posted in Shamino's Lair in the Kingpin forums.  If I recall correctly, it was a modded version of GPU Tweak.

Like changing the voltage settings in the bios on the Classy / KPE....it doesn't do anything.  They stay at 1.212v.  The voltage tool is what you use to change the voltage.

46 minutes ago, Quelux said:

I would put them on even ground with air cooling.  You're at the mercy of the silicon lottery, either way.

18 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

They're right behind Sapphire and MSI, along with PowerColor following XFX. Asus and Gigabyte are crap though

ah gotcha

19 hours ago, Quelux said:

What does ACX 2.0+ mean exactly? 

ACX means Active Cooling Xtreme... 2.0 is for their new 11 blade fan design and refined shroud design... + is the new heatsink design with the 1 copper plate touching the GPU and 3 straight heat pipes connected to that instead of 3 heat pipes with 2 touching the GPU and 1 not really touching.  ACX 2.0+ is an awesome and good looking efficient cooler that you can overclock A LOT with. I have 4 cards with ACX 2.0+ and I love them

49 minutes ago, Quelux said:

The FTW+ is a beast at Overclocking, it is smaller in length and has 1 less fan. the 2 fans are very efficient and cool just as well if not better than the G1. EVGA has the world Overclock title for a reason you know

1 hour ago, HrutkayMods said:

ah gotcha

ACX means Active Cooling Xtreme... 2.0 is for their new 11 blade fan design and refined shroud design... + is the new heatsink design with the 1 copper plate touching the GPU and 3 straight heat pipes connected to that instead of 3 heat pipes with 2 touching the GPU and 1 not really touching.  ACX 2.0+ is an awesome and good looking efficient cooler that you can overclock A LOT with. I have 4 cards with ACX 2.0+ and I love them

The FTW+ is a beast at Overclocking, it is smaller in length and has 1 less fan. the 2 fans are very efficient and cool just as well if not better than the G1. EVGA has the world Overclock title for a reason you know

Which one has the better guide or are easier for overclocking for a first time overclocker?