iPhone 5S Touch ID Requires A Live Finger To Unlock, Won’t Work With One That’s Severed From Body

RedRound2

http://www.redmondpie.com/iphone-5s-touch-id-requires-a-live-finger-to-unlock-wont-work-with-one-thats-severed-from-body/

Touch ID is way advanced then we all think:

1) It doesn't have ugly (those black things with lines which are usually found in laptops)

2)You don't have to swipe your finger, it can identify you from any part of the finger

3)It's very fast, All the hands-on videos show that

4) It only works with skin, as it can sense sub-epidermal cells

5)It's encrypted in the A7 chip. No one could possibly get your fingerprint information out

6)And it won't work with severed finger

I'm sure the guys that broke the fingerprint door which Linus showed all of us will have a hard time getting into the iPhone

I'm sure the guys that broke the fingerprint door which Linus showed all of us will have a hard time getting into the iPhone

youve never seen mythbusters?

Cpu: Intel i7 4770k @4.4 Ghz | Case: Corsair 350D | Motherbord: Z87 Gryphon | Ram: dominator platinum 4X4 1866 | Video Card: SLI GTX 980 Ti | Power Supply: Seasonic 1000 platinum | Monitor: ACER XB270HU | Keyboard: RK-9100 | Mouse: R.A.T. 7 | Headset : HD 8 DJ | Watercooled

im just gonna wait a week or two, it will be broken..

RIG-Processor: Intel core i7 3770k @4.4GHz,Mobo: MSI Z77-G43,GPU:Gigabyte GTX 770, RAM:16 GB G-skill sniper f3,SSD: Corsair Force f3 240gb,HDD: Seagate baracuda 1TB,Cooler:CM Hyper 212 evo, Case: Sharkoon T28 Blue

Peripherals- Monitor: Samsung S24B300, Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow, Mouse: Razer Abyssus, Headphones: Razer Megalodon, Mousepad: Razer Goliathus Alpha, Webcam: Logitech C270,Pad:Logitech F710, Sp: Philips generic ones

#KILLEDMYWIFE #MAKEBOMBS

I do hope that it genuinely is 'unhackable' and that along with the Activation Lock feature makes the phone no more than a brick if it has been stolen.

Even if the fingerprint sensor can be fooled (and lets be honest no petty phone thief in the world will be able to pull your fingerprint off the device and make it usable) I really hope that the Activation Lock cannot be broken, even though I know the jailbreakers will try I hope they realise that it is better for everyone if it remains unbroken.

Only time will tell, I guess it will be an interesting few weeks after the launch.

I wasn't worried about my fingers being cut off anyway

I live in a country where I can afford the phone, not alquaedaland ;).

If it looks for pulse then how do you unlock it with cild fingers in winter that have technicly no exterior pulse and a cold skin? Im pretty sure its easy to fool the 5s sensor, im taking bets on that. Also, its easy to fake a pulse in a cut finger... warmth as well.

It'll also likely just hold a hash value derived from a certain amount of identifiers of the fingerprint, and that can be saved locally and not need to check in with a server (so you can unlock the phone without a network connection - like when airplane mode is turned on).

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

If it looks for pulse then how do you unlock it with cild fingers in winter that have technicly no exterior pulse and a cold skin? Im pretty sure its easy to fool the 5s sensor, im taking bets on that. Also, its easy to fake a pulse in a cut finger... warmth as well.

There is still blood flow through the constricted capillaries even more so in the lower levels of the skin, it will scan those lower levels therefore sense some blood flow.

I can safely say that this will get hacked or someone will find a way to bypass it within a week of this phone being released. Apple underestimates the resourcefulness of the tech community.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

No, all I'm trying to say is that Apple had implemented this feature almost without any flaws. Don't we all remember when android 4.0 introduced the face unlock feature which could easily be bypassed just with the photo of the person. And then after a update the face unlock feature required you to blink, but then that was also easily bypassed using two images.

All I'm saying this is a first innovation from Apple after 3 years, and I'm kinda happy that they did this. Anyway it's not like someone is going to cut your finger just to hack into your iphone

lol. is that really necessary?

Well its not really necessary for all users, but its a much faster way to unlock the phone rather than typing in the passcode screen all the time. And it may be useful for some people who does store their confidential data on the phone which is like the 5% of the iPhone owners

There is still blood flow through the constricted capillaries even more so in the lower levels of the skin, it will scan those lower levels therefore sense some blood flow.

it is hard to detected a flow of liquid if it is constant, unless you do a doppler and if there is no pulse, its technicly not detectable. if the flow is considered perfectly constant of course. and i doubt that the sensor they will put on the button will be very high-end because of three factors: the available place, the price and the available technology. dont quote me on that but i dont think there is a lot of very efficient small form factor fingerprint readers available. and i dont think apple designed their own one.

Really excited to see tests of this fingerprint lock to see if anyone can break this lock.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

This is what I gathered from the article: *marketing!* *marketing"* *no proof* *more marketing*

Come back when it has been extensively tested by the general public as well as experts.

youve never seen mythbusters?

Uhh yeah I think this is probably much better than the 8 year old technology tested on that Mythbusters episode. That ep was from 2006.

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers

Personally, I don't really care how secure it is so long as it works every time and fast. I don't use a pass code on my phone currently because its a pain in the butt to type in every time. Of course I also don't keep any sensitive info on my phone anyway, so I'd just use the fingerprint scanner to keep friends and family from just grabbing my phone and using it.

im just gonna wait a week or two, it will be broken..

If there's a will, there's a way.

what am I going to do with all these fingers I have cut of people in anticipation?   

Seriously, if the new tech is as good as the hype then will that make net banking from your phone safer?

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

i wonder

does every iphone use the same encryption key ?

that would be a nightmare

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.