Restricting a Child's computer access

Hey,

I'm looking for a piece of software which would count how much time is being spent at the PC on one specific user, then lock it once a set limit has been surpassed. Optimally, the software would count the time during which the monitor is on (not sure if/how that would work) so that it counts movies etc. but doesn't count just listening to music. I'm not sure if such a piece of software even exists (I feel like surely it must, but I haven't found anything remoltely similar), so I'd also like to hear about any other software which, while not fitting those exact criteria, still could be used in a similar way.

Thanks in advance.

1 minute ago, sakoki said:

Hey,

I'm looking for a piece of software which would count how much time is being spent at the PC on one specific user, then lock it once a set limit has been surpassed. Optimally, the software would count the time during which the monitor is on (not sure if/how that would work) so that it counts movies etc. but doesn't count just listening to music. I'm not sure if such a piece of software even exists (I feel like surely it must, but I haven't found anything remoltely similar), so I'd also like to hear about any other software which, while not fitting those exact criteria, still could be used in a similar way.

Thanks in advance.

there should be a software to set a time limit allowed on pc but it probably wont stop the timer when the screen is turned off

alternate solution:

why not just listen to music from your phone? plug the 3.5mm jack in and you're golden xD

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

It depends which operating system you are using. There is no need for a software, if you're using windows, because all you need to do I go onto the child's PC account, go onto the control panel. Then look around that, there is an option to make the account parent secured where you can monitor everything the child is doing including time on the PC and the apps they go on, and the time they are on the apps.

8 minutes ago, sakoki said:

Hey,

Thanks in advance.

yes i even downloaded one, but not because i would have wanted to restrict my pc use, but the use the other tools in it. i don't remember what its called but you are able to find those tools easily by googling. also, can't you just tell your kid not to be on computer that much, and if he doesn't respect those rules you beat him with a stick and don't allow him on computer anymore? also what is this, world strictest parents or what? don't you trust your kid?

@Neuromanic @mikat As far as I'm aware, this only lets you limit at what time of the day the PC can be used, not for how long (so it could be set to allow usage from 2 - 5 pm, but not for 3 hours max any time of the day), significantly limiting its usefulness. I've tried this in the past but was hoping to find a better tool, thanks anyway.

@ben dover kid It's my little brother, not my son. But yes, of course I've spoken to him about it, but it doesn't seem to help much. Yesterday, he spent 11 hours in-game, then proceeded to skip school today, so I suspect you won't find limiting his PC usage too strict. Seeing how much he plays, no, I do not trust him to spend less time at the PC without software to assist in the process, though I still find "beating him with a stick" to be wildly unreasonable. You are of course welcome to give further advice on raising kids, but frankly, I'd appreciate it much more if you happened to remember the name of the software.

10 hours ago, sakoki said:

@Neuromanic @mikat As far as I'm aware, this only lets you limit at what time of the day the PC can be used, not for how long (so it could be set to allow usage from 2 - 5 pm, but not for 3 hours max any time of the day), significantly limiting its usefulness. I've tried this in the past but was hoping to find a better tool, thanks anyway.

@ben dover kid It's my little brother, not my son. But yes, of course I've spoken to him about it, but it doesn't seem to help much. Yesterday, he spent 11 hours in-game, then proceeded to skip school today, so I suspect you won't find limiting his PC usage too strict. Seeing how much he plays, no, I do not trust him to spend less time at the PC without software to assist in the process, though I still find "beating him with a stick" to be wildly unreasonable. You are of course welcome to give further advice on raising kids, but frankly, I'd appreciate it much more if you happened to remember the name of the software.

wow jesus christ 11 hours and skips school?im not even mad, thats amazing! but lets be real here i didn't know that this was this serious. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/set-child-limits how about do as they tell over there? 

11 hours ago, sakoki said:

http://listoffreeware.com/list-of-best-free-parental-control-software/ theres some freeware that you might find useful. also some parenting tips: don't fuck up with a kid in a first place like that. what is that little piece of shit going to do with his life? i know that im a darn computer addict but i do my homework and important stuff before wasting the rest of my time in computer, so tired that im unable to do anything else. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/15/2016 at 7:50 AM, sakoki said:

Hey,

Thanks in advance.

http://www1.k9webprotection.com/ This software is for free. Another one is called Net nanny and cost a little more but it has a online control panel. They both have control panels but K9 has one built in and not online and net nanny you can change your kids privilege from anywhere.