What do you think about the G3258

On 2016-03-15 at 11:48 PM, Wolfire said:

Hi, im on a budget build and there is a cpu that hit me, the Pentium G3258 unlocked cpu, so i want you guys to tell me what you think about it, im planning to overclock it to the maximum that it can go. Is the overclock will compensate for the 2 core missing that it would have on an i5? Im planning to do moderate gaming at 2 k, i got an R9 390 from msi, and also, will it severly bottleneck the gpu.

the R9 390 is way too mean of a GPU for that little chip...even if you overclock the shnit out of it it will not give you the experience you want from it unless you play not very demanding games...in which case the R9 390 would not be justified...for modern AAA titles it's really a budget entry level option and should be considered as such...therefore should be paired with lower end GPU to play games on low/medium settings...something along the lines of a GTX 760/950 or radeon R9 270/370 would be more appropriate for it. What you need to max out your R9 390 would be a minimum of a core i5 and ideally, an unlocked core i7 as crazy as this might sound AMD DX11 GPU drivers are very inefficient when it comes to managing CPU resources and in drawcalls heavy scenes (when lots of stuff is going on for example) it can be pretty harsh even on the best CPU's out there...my advice here: get the best CPU you can afford...at least a skylake core i3-6100 knowing full well that it's still a bit underpowered for it...or an i5-6400/6500 would be better.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR