R9 390 or GTX 970

FreddyHunt

R9 390 for sure, unless you need nvidia specific features :P

// irenebb-pc v5 // [] Intel i5-9400F [] Radeon VII Lisa Su Edition [] 24GB Crucial Ballistix [] Acer ED323QUR (1440p/144hz) []

R9 390 beats the gtx 970 in many games and has double the memory. 

maybe take a look at 1 of the other 1000 threads on this topic? Or at least give a bit more detail here.

Main Rig: CPU i7-4790k / MOBO Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) / RAM 16GB HyperX Fury 1866 MHz / CPU COOLER Dark Rock 3 / GPU Asus GTX 1070 Strix  / CASE Evolv ATX Tempered Glass / SSD Crucial MX200 250GB / HDD  WD Black 1TB + WD Blue 3TB / PSU EVGA 750G2 / DISPLAYS 2x Dell U2414h / KEYBOARD Corsair K70 RGB Cherry MX Brown / MOUSE Logitech G602 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 / i7-6700HQ, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, GTX 960m, 1080P Display

Cheap Windows/Office Keys

for what exactly?

- 390 has better bang for the buck, more vram, the amd ecosystem (freesync and the like)

- 970 has lower energy usage (not much, but for some it really matters), the nvidia ecosystem (g-sync, shield, specific driver features - if you need them you know them)

thats kinda the rough draft. while some go straight for performance per dollar (which isnt that bad of an insight into GPUs) some people -like me- have already earned back the price difference on their 970 after a year because stupid power costs, and need some very specific nvidia driver features to keep their displays working normally.

Assuming you don't need nvidia's proprietary stuff, which I guess you don't or you wouldn't be considering a 390, get a 390.

reason for 970:

- nvidia features (Shield, Shadowplay, Gamestream co-op)

- more energy efficient

reason for 390:

- slightly more performance in games than 970

- slightly cheaper than 970

- have more vram (for resolutions higher than 1080p, this is a major point)

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

9 minutes ago, Matt100HP said:

Assuming you don't need nvidia's proprietary stuff, which I guess you don't or you wouldn't be considering a 390, get a 390.

basicly that, unless he lives in an area where electricity is more expensive than diesel.

1 minute ago, manikyath said:

basicly that, unless he lives in an area where electricity is more expensive than diesel.

I'm going to assume the most people who have £250+ to spend on a GPU aren't exactly poor. 

That said, you are right, the 390 does drink the old eletricity juice at a greater rate than the 970. However, some of that cost can be recouped by not needing the heating on as much in whatever room your PC is in. 

3 minutes ago, Matt100HP said:

I'm going to assume the most people who have £250+ to spend on a GPU aren't exactly poor. 

That said, you are right, the 390 does drink the old eletricity juice at a greater rate than the 970. However, some of that cost can be recouped by not needing the heating on as much in whatever room your PC is in. 

well, i'll put it like this:

for me its cheaper to have a gas generator in the basement than to be hooked up to the power grid, and since i cant afford a gas generator its better for me to go for the slightly more expensive part, and have it pay the difference back over the next few months. (and after that start to be "profitable")

EDIT: oh, and i have gas heating, which yeah.. kinda dont want to swap that with something electric :P

also consider the power usage if you opt to crossfire/sli

but 390 is the better card for gaming

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

For 1080 gaming?  Either card will serve your purpose very well.  For resolutions higher than 1080?  I'd go with the 390.  That said, I wouldn't use a single 970 / 390 for 1440 gaming anyway, but.....that's specific to the user's needs and expectations.

CPU: Ryzen 1600X @ 4.15ghz  MB: ASUS Crosshair VI Mem: 32GB GSkill TridenZ 3200
GPU: 1080 FTW PSU: EVGA SuperNova 1000P2 / EVGA SuperNova 750P2  SSD: 512GB Samsung 950 PRO
HD: 2 x 1TB WD Black in RAID 0  Cooling: Custom cooling loop on CPU and GPU  OS: Windows 10