Does your RAM speed impact any performance while gaming?

Hey guys,

i have a question. Does RAM speed impact your performance while gaming? I want to get this RAM:

RAM

Is that going to impact any performance or should i go with a higher speed RAM?

Edit: Black and red goes with my olour sceme btw.

RAM speed hardly even make a difference at all xD, don't worry about it.

Hope this helps :P

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x 4.9Ghz PBO    SSDs: 250GB 850 Pro           STEAM: KezzaMcFezza
GPU: GTX 1070 Strix                                     250GB 970 Pro           MOBO: MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus

HDD: 1TB WD Black Drive                             500GB 860 Evo          MOUSE: Logitech G502

RAM speed dosent matter 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

The higher the Speed with RAM sometimes gives diminishing returns for what you pay for it. That Ram I use and is really good. If money is no problem get the faster Ram.

Yes, it actually can make a fair difference in some CPU limited games.

1 minute ago, danrey84 said:

The higher the Speed with RAM sometimes gives diminishing returns for what you pay for it. That Ram I use and is really good. If money is no problem get the faster Ram.

wot ram u use? :o

In gaming RAM does increase your frame rate depending what speed it is. But its like maybe 2-5 Fps. So u have to say is it worth all that extra money for that return. The answer IMO is no.

from 1600-->4000MHz you'll see a like 3 FPS difference 

other than that no, it doesn't. Its only worth it in renders. 

@Ronnie76 is right.... What you will get for spending the extra on say 3400Mhz DDR4 compared to say 2666Mhz DDR4 is small. Yes there will be a difference depending which titles you run but its not worth how much extra you will pay. IMO

10 minutes ago, 17Roman1998 said:

Hey guys,

i have a question. Does RAM speed impact your performance while gaming? I want to get this RAM:

RAM

Is that going to impact any performance or should i go with a higher speed RAM?

Edit: Black and red goes with my olour sceme btw.

yes it does.

read this thread for more info:

Also, check out this:

Everyone who tells you faster RAM doesnt help is FULL OF SHIT and should shut up

3 minutes ago, Ronnie76 said:

from 1600-->4000MHz you'll see a like 3 FPS difference 

other than that no, it doesn't. Its only worth it in renders. 

you'd see 3-5 FPS going from 1600 to 2133.

The price difference between the cheapest 1600 2x4GB kit and cheapest 2133 2x4GB kit is 7 USD....

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/crucial-memory-ct2kit51264ba160bj

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/mushkin-memory-997181f

Cheapest 2x4GB 2400MHz kit

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/gskill-memory-f32400c11d8gxm

9 USD more....

that is 9 USD more, for 5-10% more performance.

3 minutes ago, Prysin said:

you'd see 3-5 FPS going from 1600 to 2133.

depending on titles and performance and you also forgot about the diminishing return factor. CPU bound titles will make use of the RAM more, GPU bound, not as much.

Just now, Prysin said:

yes it does.

read this thread for more info:

Also, check out this:

Everyone who tells you faster RAM doesnt help is FULL OF SHIT and should shut up

This is a quality demonstration on how RAM can help. If money is never a consideration then always get the highest but if you are on a budget then 2666MHz will more than suffice but if u have literally all the money in the world get the fastest.  

2 minutes ago, Ronnie76 said:

depending on titles and performance and you also forgot about the diminishing return factor. CPU bound titles will make use of the RAM more, GPU bound, not as much.

i got a 1600MHz kit, a 1866MHz Kit and a 2400MHz kit...

given the current prices of parts (see edit in my previous post) it is NOT worth getting slower RAM if your mobo supports faster RAM. People spend way more then 10 bucks on ridiculous shit like brand preferences or color schemes, things that has ZERO impact on performance in any way. So investing 10 bucks more into faster RAM is definetively worth it.

@Prysin He is getting DDR4 Ram which starts at 2133Mhz all of the above you have shown are DDR3

4 minutes ago, Prysin said:

i got a 1600MHz kit, a 1866MHz Kit and a 2400MHz kit...

given the current prices of parts (see edit in my previous post) it is NOT worth getting slower RAM if your mobo supports faster RAM. People spend way more then 10 bucks on ridiculous shit like brand preferences or color schemes. So investing 10 bucks more into faster RAM is definetively worth it.

Where did I ever say its not worth it to spend the extra money?

For fucks sake I'm spending $100 on a 4000MHz 8GB kit of RAM 

I never said it wasn't worth it. If you don't have the money you cant get it, if you have the money you can. But is it worth pouring $20 more into a high speed kit or a low speed that you OVERCLOCK to higher speeds, I personally, overclocked my RAM to 2666MHz back when I had a single 8GB kit, Did I see a performance increase? Yes, but minor,a few FPS not worth spending $5-10 extra dollars on. If your on a budget, its not worth it. 

Just now, danrey84 said:

@Prysin He is getting DDR4 Ram which starts at 2133Mhz all of the above you have shown are DDR3

Nop, @MageTank's thread is DDR4. Digital Foundrys video is DDR4 + DDR3 (6100 is skylake with DDR4, 4130 is Haswell with DDR3)

anyway, cheapest 2133 2x4GB DDR4 kit

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/gskill-memory-f42133c15d8gnt

Cheapest 2666 2x4GB DDR4 kit

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/gskill-memory-f42666c18d8grs

Cheapest 3200 2x4GB DDR4 kit

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/team-memory-tdprd48g3200hc16adc0

So.... 13 USD between 2133 and 3200MHz RAM....

that is outrageously cheap way to get much better performance

Just now, Ronnie76 said:

Where did I ever say its not worth it to spend the extra money?

For fucks sake I'm spending $100 on a 4000MHz 8GB kit of RAM 

I never said it wasn't worth it. If you don't have the money you cant get it, if you have the money you can. But is it worth pouring $20 more into a high speed kit or a low speed that you OVERCLOCK to higher speeds, I personally, overclocked my RAM to 2666MHz back when I had a single 8GB kit, Did I see a performance increase? Yes, but minor,a few FPS not worth spending $5-10 extra dollars on. If your on a budget, its not worth it. 

not everyone is OK or even remotely comfortable OR have the time to OC RAM.

There is also the fact that OP hasnt said if he/she has a Z170 board, which is the only way to get RAM to run at higher speeds since Intel are dicks and locked RAM speed on their lower end boards.

As I said if money is no object then always get the highest speed you can afford. SIMPLES

7 minutes ago, Prysin said:

not everyone is OK or even remotely comfortable OR have the time to OC RAM.

There is also the fact that OP hasnt said if he/she has a Z170 board, which is the only way to get RAM to run at higher speeds since Intel are dicks and locked RAM speed on their lower end boards.

I literally don't get why people think overclocking is so scary

if you have common sense its virtually impossible to fuck up a piece of hardware, if you fuck up, clear CMOS and don't touch it.