Dell’s Skylake XPS 13, Precision workstations now come with Ubuntu preinstalled

LittleCarrot
14 hours ago, LittleCarrot said:

I feel this is a step in the right direction in getting Linux out there.

how much are you willing to bet people will put windows on it, legitimately or not xD

30 minutes ago, zMeul said:

how much are you willing to bet people will put windows on it, legitimately or not xD

Little to none? Or isn't there an equilivant windows machine?

Please avoid feeding the argumentative narcissistic academic monkey.

"the last 20 percent – going from demo to production-worthy algorithm – is both hard and is time-consuming. The last 20 percent is what separates the men from the boys" - Mobileye CEO

Just now, Tomsen said:

what?!

people can put Ubuntu on anything they want

there is absolutely no reason for this machine to exist other than Canonical paying Dell to make one

3 minutes ago, Tomsen said:

If it is cheaper, then I could see a lot of people who can get Windows licences from their work or college cheap or free buying it and putting their own Windows on it.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

3 minutes ago, zMeul said:

what?!

there is absolutely no reason for this machine to exist other than Canonical paying Dell to make one

Looking at how microsoft have been working to try to laptops to windows, making it more complicated to change OS.

Like how microsoft is paying laptop manufactures to make it more complicated to change os?

1 minute ago, Fetzie said:

If it is cheaper, then I could see a lot of people who can get Windows licences from their work or college cheap for free buying it and putting their own Windows on it.

It is a fraction of the price. Very much doubt it.

In that case, why not buy a laptop without preinstalled OS?

"the last 20 percent – going from demo to production-worthy algorithm – is both hard and is time-consuming. The last 20 percent is what separates the men from the boys" - Mobileye CEO

2 minutes ago, Tomsen said:

Looking at how microsoft have been working to try to laptops to windows, making it more complicated to change OS.

Like how microsoft is paying laptop manufactures to make it more complicated to change os?

and again, what makes you think DELL made this out of the goddess of their heart? news flash .. they didn't - the market/need for Linux pre installed machines is so small it's invisible

I'll bet you my right nut Canonical payed a hefty price to DELL for this laptop to exist

as I said, people already have the ability to install Ubuntu on a PC/laptop

16 minutes ago, zMeul said:

what?!

There is absolutely a reason, support. This laptop comes with guarenteed parts and support from Dell on issues. Why do you think companies like System76 are still up and running? And why Dell has sold these Ubuntu laptops for years now?  

14 hours ago, tmcclelland455 said:

Yeah... I realize that it's a DEVELOPER thing. But some people can't read for shit. Some examples in this thread come to mind.

Heh, you underestimate the stupidity of some people. Like half the people in my state.

You have to search for this laptop, it won't show up otherwise.

Lord of Helium.

2 minutes ago, Burusutazu said:

Why do you think companies like System76 are still up and running? And why Dell has sold these Ubuntu laptops for years now?  

simple, they're cheaper

as for DELL support, don't make be laugh - I triple double dare you to have a problem with a DELL product

3 minutes ago, zMeul said:

and again, what makes you think DELL made this out of the goddess of their heart? news flash .. they didn't - the market/need for Linux pre installed machines is so small it's invisible

I'll bet you my right nut Canonical payed a hefty price to DELL for this laptop to exist

I never said they made it out of the goddess of their heart. Also, it might small in comparison with Windows, but that doesn't mean it isn't there, and there isn't a need for it.

Sure, they paid dell, but that is the current status quo of PC business. You don't think Microsoft have supplemented OEMs with plenty of cash? Most likely, they amount of money Microsoft have spend greatly towers canonicals spending.

You are repeating yourself, and not providing an argument for my reply. As I said, Microsoft has been increasingly trying to lock PCs to windows OS. You think that is a coincidence?

Just now, zMeul said:

simple, they're cheaper

as for DELL support, don't make be laugh - I triple double dare you to have a problem with a DELL product

I have before, and I have never had a problem with their support.  Getting support in general is not painful if you go into it with the right mindset and a bit of patience. 

Lord of Helium.

9 minutes ago, Tomsen said:

You are repeating yourself, and not providing an argument for my reply. As I said, Microsoft has been increasingly trying to lock PCs to windows OS. You think that is a coincidence?

ponying up money to DELL doesn't fix the issue

Canonical and the whole GNU community would've been a lot better with raising awareness of Secure Boot, what it does and what does it mean when this option will vanish from BIOS/UEFI

did you know that Canonical buys signed keys from MS?! that allows them to work if Secure Boot is enabled ....

also news flash: Secure Boot toggle was mandatory, since quite recently it's at the OEM's whim if they allow the user to disable it

37 minutes ago, zMeul said:

They do have a deal I think Canonical does the support for the Ubuntu parts, don't forget that Dell wants to sell enterprise stuff and servers so they probably already have a solid business relationship and they occasionally go "Let's do a bit of a consumer push too"

-------

Current Rig

-------

1 hour ago, Burusutazu said:

You have to search for this laptop, it won't show up otherwise.

Again, don't doubt how incredibly stupid some people can be.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

1 hour ago, tmcclelland455 said:

Again, don't doubt how incredibly stupid some people can be.

Well if they search for Ubuntu and buy the laptop thats their problem, not Dell's

Lord of Helium.

2 hours ago, zMeul said:

ponying up money to DELL doesn't fix the issue

Canonical and the whole GNU community would've been a lot better with raising awareness of Secure Boot, what it does and what does it mean when this option will vanish from BIOS/UEFI

did you know that Canonical buys signed keys from MS?! that allows them to work if Secure Boot is enabled ...

It doesn't fix it alone, but that is because there isn't a single solution to such an issue. You are not going to get any further, without spending some money convincing OEMs to include your OS.

Kind of hard to raise awareness in the bigger and wider communities, as most individuals wouldn't even understand the message. People with a more technical mindset, most likely already know this issue.

That makes it all better. The big and establish player is forcing the smaller players to pay up, to even get their OS to boot. That is shady business, to try limit new competition.

11 minutes ago, Tomsen said:

That makes it all better. The big and establish player is forcing the smaller players to pay up, to even get their OS to boot. That is shady business, to try limit new competition.

the truth is Canonical doesn't give a flying fuck about the GNU community, otherwise they wouldn't've payed

instead they would've used all the resources at their disposal and give people the information they needed

paying up makes them accomplices and hurts the GNU community; what about those distros that can't pony up to MS or OEMs .. fuck them, right?

they paid up and now OEMs an MS know they can put the screws even tighter

people that care about Ubuntu, that want Ubuntu on their machines, already can install it without issues

they don't need a "special" OEM built laptop to do so 

---

I remember a picture taken at the Canonical booth at some tech conference - packed full of people

next year .. barely a handful

1 hour ago, zMeul said:

the truth is Canonical doesn't give a flying fuck about the GNU community, otherwise they wouldn't've payed

instead they would've used all the resources at their disposal and give people the information they needed

paying up makes them accomplices and hurts the GNU community; what about those distros that can't pony up to MS or OEMs .. fuck them, right?

they paid up and now OEMs an MS know they can put the screws even tighter

people that care about Ubuntu, that want Ubuntu on their machines, already can install it without issues

they don't need a "special" OEM built laptop to do so 

---

I remember a picture taken at the Canonical booth at some tech conference - packed full of people

next year .. barely a handful

I'm sorry, but I can't follow your logic. They are paying to have system with ubuntu preinstalled, in the act of trying to attach new and current linux users.

You don't see the issue. The only ones who will ever see that information will already be linux users. So much for getting new users to your OS.

Are you serious? It makes them accomplices? You are twisting things so hard. Microsoft implemented a system to limit OS, and the only way to get your product out, is basically paying. Yeah, what about distro that can't or wont pay? They will be excluded. Microsoft is abusing their marketshare in that segment to keep smaller players out. The clear solution would get to remove the limitation, but do you think microsoft would agree to that? Why would they?

What about people with no prior experience with ubuntu? What about support?

I like how you keep arguing that ubuntu should not have a laptop with preinstalled ubuntu. Why is that?

Pictures can be deceptive, and people who generally visit tech conferences is generally technical minded.

3 minutes ago, Tomsen said:

I'm sorry, but I can't follow your logic. They are paying to have system with ubuntu preinstalled, in the act of trying to attach new and current linux users.

absolutely not true

people would rather pirate Windows than try Linux, and Linux is free

Are you serious?

guess what?! 

yay Canonical, good job ... effin' morons

1 minute ago, zMeul said:

absolutely not true

people would rather pirate Windows than try Linux, and Linux is free

guess what?! 

yay Canonical, good job ... fuking morons

I'm not going to argue any further if you keep moving the goalpost, to something almost completely unrelated to my arguments.

Sure, some will. Some might want to try something new. 

Guess what?!

That just further my point, that trying to use the media against microsoft isn't going to be effective.

I don't think you are in any position to call them that. They know a whole lot more about what they are getting into, than someone like you.

Just now, Tomsen said:

I don't think you are in any position to call them that. They know a whole lot more about what they are getting into, than someone like you.

no in the position?! I'm sorry ... who do I need to be to see the truth and call it exactly how it is?

do you remember this?

yes, my friend .. Canonical is torpedoing the GNU community

Who is Canonical

"In the middle of every difficulty lies opportunity."
- Albert Einstein

4 minutes ago, zMeul said:

no in the position?! I'm sorry ... who do I need to be to see the truth and call it exactly how it is?

do you remember this?

yes, my friend .. Canonical is torpedoing the GNU community

You clearly are not. You need to be someone with atleast some common sense, which you clearly are lacking. Do you really believe you see the "truth", the truth have many faces, and can easily be deceptive. You are known to insert your own and false bias in many post, to further your agenda. To be honest, I'm stunned how someone like you are still able to report on news, but I guess LTT needs all the content it can get.

Also arguing with you is very troublesome, as you clearly can't follow the direction of arguments, and keep trying to move the goalpost (most likely because you can't provide an argument on the statement).

I'm stopping to argue with you, as there clearly aren't any good outcome. 

Just now, Tomsen said:

You clearly are not. You need to be someone with atleast some common sense, which you clearly are lacking. Do you really believe you see the "truth", the truth have many faces, and can easily be deceptive. You are known to insert your own and false bias in many post, to further your agenda. To be honest, I'm stunned how someone like you are still able to report on news, but I guess LTT needs all the content it can get.

Also arguing with you is very troublesome, as you clearly can't follow the direction of arguments, and keep trying to move the goalpost (most likely because you can't provide an argument on the statement).

oh .. I'm fabricating news now xD

might be interested that I called, yet again, a ban in sourcing from WCCFTech

7 minutes ago, Tomsen said:

Who is Canonical?

"In the middle of every difficulty lies opportunity."
- Albert Einstein