best 2024 free antivirus?

so i was trying to use kaspersky, but i accidently selected wrong region and now says my trial is not good for where i am, despite trying to change to proper region. and saw can onyl use the paid version of kaspersky now. is there any other good free antivirus for 2024 that is reliable that helps find viruses without lots false positives? how much better is the kasperspy paid vs free when your just using the anti virus features?    are there even still any decent free anti virus (windows defender finds 100% false positives and 0% true viruses)

10 minutes ago, Nightmare-Rex said:

so i was trying to use kaspersky, but i accidently selected wrong region and now says my trial is not good for where i am, despite trying to change to proper region. and saw can onyl use the paid version of kaspersky now. is there any other good free antivirus for 2024 that is reliable that helps find viruses without lots false positives? how much better is the kasperspy paid vs free when your just using the anti virus features?    are there even still any decent free anti virus (windows defender finds 100% false positives and 0% true viruses)

Windows Defender 🙂

System : AMD R9  7950X3D CPU/ Asus ROG STRIX X670E-E board/ 2x32GB G-Skill Trident Z Neo 6000CL30 RAM ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 cooler (with 2xArctic P12 Max fans) /  2TB WD SN850 NVme + 2TB Crucial T500  NVme  + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD / Corsair RM850x PSU

Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

32 minutes ago, Nightmare-Rex said:

so i was trying to use kaspersky, but i accidently selected wrong region and now says my trial is not good for where i am, despite trying to change to proper region

If that was trully the case then you could easily just make another free account (using a different e-mail) and not "accidentally" select the wrong region.

What happened more likely is:
- You intentionally picked a region which has free version available, and then Kasperky refused to activate because it detected a mismatch from where you really are and what the licence is for.
- Or you let it auto-pick, only later to find out your region doesn't have the free version.

That restriction can be circumvented btw, as to how... I can not say because LTT forums doesn't allow such discussions.

• Discussion on engaging in hacking or cracking is not allowed, including:
    • Bypassing security features, restrictions, or filters (including parental filters, school restrictions, or workplace monitoring), including on your own device.

As for free suggestions besides Kaspersky, VirusTotal is completely free:
https://www.virustotal.com/gui/home/upload
Obviously it isn't real-time protection, but if you suspect something is shady run it through VirusTotal 1st...
or better yet: don't download executables from random places.

VGhlIHF1aWV0ZXIgeW91IGJlY29tZSwgdGhlIG1vcmUgeW91IGFyZSBhYmxlIHRvIGhlYXIu

^ not a crypto wallet

You can try Dr. Web, it's paid but nowhere as overpriced as Malwarebytes and a solid solution especially now that MB updated their interface for the worse. Works with Mac too, a single license gives you option for phones as well IIRC. 2 Machines, 2 Phones or something. 🙂

Windows Defender+Don't download utter trash.

6 hours ago, PDifolco said:

Windows Defender

this.

Daily Drives 

Windows 11 + Mac Soma + Mint Linux + Ubuntu MATE 

HomeLab

Proxmox + OPNsense + TrueNAS + Zabbix + Debian + win Svr 2022 + win10 + Home Assistant + iventoy + plus other junk  and like 12 dockers! 

Home Network

Unifi  - Express, flex, 8 port POE, Ap's other switches 

6 hours ago, MiszS said:

Using linux

... then install windows defender  😛 

Daily Drives 

Windows 11 + Mac Soma + Mint Linux + Ubuntu MATE 

HomeLab

Proxmox + OPNsense + TrueNAS + Zabbix + Debian + win Svr 2022 + win10 + Home Assistant + iventoy + plus other junk  and like 12 dockers! 

Home Network

Unifi  - Express, flex, 8 port POE, Ap's other switches 

AVG and Avast offer the best free protection and are light on the system.

Ryzen 5 2600X / ASRock Fatal1ty B450 Gaming K4 / G.Skill RIPJAWS V 16GB (2X8) 3000Mhz CL15 / Gigabyte RTX 2060 Super Gaming 8GB OC / Corsair RM650X 2018 / Crucial BX500 240GB / Seagate Barracauda 2TB 7200RPM Cooler Master MasterBox E500L /  ASUS TUF Gaming VG27WQ // Rog Orion / Corsair Harpoon RGB Pro / Cooler Master MasterKeys Lite L / Xbox One Red Sport  Special Edition Controller for Windows

Eset internet security 30 days trial, then wipe your hard drive and repeat the process