Lower than normal FPS in a few games with R9 390

AmbellinaThePrise

Okay, so I just built my computer some 3 days ago, I got the Sapphire Nitro R9 390, and have used it both stock and overclocked to 1115MHz core clock and 1585 mem clock and I'm noticing something a bit off when playing CoD 4 and Modern Warfare 2. My FPS sits around 90 pretty steadily, I don't have a frame limiter turned on, and I don't have Vsync or anything like that turned on anywhere, and other games, like CS:GO(295 FPS), Bad Company 2( 145 FPS) and Rocket League (220 FPS) run totally normally maxed out. But these two games are the exception right now and I don't know if it is something to do with the latest AMD Crimson drivers (16.3) or not. 

I know it's over 75, and as such for my monitor is fine, but it worries me to see it so low when I have seen a friend's GTX 770 get over 300FPS in CoD 4. Also worth noting that memory usage when playing those games is a little over 3 GB, and usually sits around 35% GPU usage.

Thanks, all. 

CPU: i7 7700k @ 4.9GHz Cooling: NZXT Kraken X62 RAM: 16 GB GSkill Trident Z RGB GPU: Sapphire Nitro R9 390 Case:Phanteks Evolv TG

You do know that CoD 4 and MW2 are like 7+ years old right?

You are most likely only getting around 90FPS because the games aren't optimized.

CPU: i5 6600k OCed to 4.5Ghz @ 1.35v, GPU: R9 390 Nitro, Motherboard: Asus z170-A, CPU Cooler: H100i GTX, RAM: HyperX 2x8 16gb DDR4, PSU: Seasonic x650, Storage: 850 EVO 500gb, WD 1tb blue, Case: H440 White/Black

2 minutes ago, Sportiva said:

You are most likely only getting around 90FPS because the games aren't optimized.

No, that's the actual engine cap.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

Those games are old - they use 1 or 2 cores from the CPU, that might be the bottleneck.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

6 minutes ago, Sportiva said:

No, I'm a complete hermit with absolutely no concept of time...

5 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

No, that's the actual engine cap.

If this is the truth, then I wonder how it is I've seen frame rates higher than that. Maybe some tweaks in the game files or something?  Either way that would make me feel rather silly for worrying about it. It just didn't seem right.

CPU: i7 7700k @ 4.9GHz Cooling: NZXT Kraken X62 RAM: 16 GB GSkill Trident Z RGB GPU: Sapphire Nitro R9 390 Case:Phanteks Evolv TG

Just now, AmbellinaThePrise said:

No, I'm a complete hermit with absolutely no concept of time...

If this is the truth, then I wonder how it is I've seen frame rates higher than that. Maybe some tweaks in the game files or something?  Either way that would make me feel rather silly for worrying about it. It just didn't seem right.

I believe the cap applies to multiplayer.

If it doesn't, I think there's a way to remove it as I've hit 144FPS in CoD 4.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

Now my worries are finally laid to rest. Finished installing Fallout 4 and I keep a solid 60 most of the time  besides a few super intense moments with maxed out settings. So I know for certain the issue isn't anything with the card and is just the game. and maybe, if anything, the current AMD drivers and DX9 games.