Intel Motherboard vs Marvell PCIe-x4 for RAID-10?

Gerr

I am building a home server and for my Plex storage(non-boot, video storage only) I have 4x3TB WD Red drives that I plan to put into Raid-10 array for 6TB of redundant storage, then backed up to an external 6TB USB 3.0 drive.

Because I have more than 6 SATA drives in this server, I bought a PCIe x4 4-port RAID card with the Marvell 88SE9230 chipset.  My motherboard uses the Intel Z97 chipset, so it has built-in RAID support.

My question is where should I put the RAID-10 array, on Intel or Marvell?  I know I can install Intel's RST to monitor the RAID array, but does Marvell have some sort of utility that does the same?  Also, which one is faster?  Which one would handle a drive failure better?  Any info would help.

And no, I am NOT buying a hardware RAID card, so don't suggest it!

you can only test it

build the array on the Marvell card, use CrystalDisk Mark and HD Tune to establish a baseline

deconstruct the array and move the disks to on-board RAID, build the array and do the tests - compare

18 minutes ago, Gerr said:

I am building a home server and for my Plex storage(non-boot, video storage only) I have 4x3TB WD Red drives that I plan to put into Raid-10 array for 6TB of redundant storage, then backed up to an external 6TB USB 3.0 drive.

Because I have more than 6 SATA drives in this server, I bought a PCIe x4 4-port RAID card with the Marvell 88SE9230 chipset.  My motherboard uses the Intel Z97 chipset, so it has built-in RAID support.

My question is where should I put the RAID-10 array, on Intel or Marvell?  I know I can install Intel's RST to monitor the RAID array, but does Marvell have some sort of utility that does the same?  Also, which one is faster?  Which one would handle a drive failure better?  Any info would help.

And no, I am NOT buying a hardware RAID card, so don't suggest it!

Are you looking to do RAID 0+1 or 1+0?

Are you wanting to mirror your stripes, or stripe your mirrors?

Id suggest just using software raid 5. There's no reason to use raid 10 in a server. It just wastes a drive. Use zfs if your using freenas or linux.

The Intel RAID doesn't give me an option for multiple RAID-10's, just lets me pick RAID-0, RAID-1, Raid-5, or RAID-10.  Have not tried Marvell yet.

Plus what's the difference between 0+1 and 1+0?

Can't use any RAID that uses parity on the Marvell card.  And I have not heard good things about firmware RAID-5.  Plus my backup is only 6TB, I would have to get a new backup system if I went higher than 6TB in the RAID array.