To LMG

HectiKCookiE

I was just watching the mar 11 2016 wan show archive and you guys were talking about scrapyard wars 4 and the much longer, 

TV show style format, i think this is a great idea waiting a week for a short 10 min video was terrible with the last 3 seasons. I know you try to make your videos around 10 mins long to try and retain views through out the video but im pretty sure for videos like build logs, the work shop and stuff like people would watch and enjoy longer videos. i know that my opinion is just one of the millions of views but hey. also i would love to see Denis have his own show he's hilarious, anything he does will be great! P.S i love all the video you guys make for us, thanks!

PCPP http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Vg96f7 CPU: Intel i7 4790K MoBo: Gigabyte Z97X S.O.C Ram: G.Skill 2x 8gb GPU: 2x AMD R9 290x in CrossFire SoundCard: Creative Sound Blaster z Case: NZXT H440 RED/BLK Storage: 2x Intel 520s 120gb Raid 0 + 2tb Seagate 7200 PSU: EVGA 1000W G2 Fully Modular Display: Samsung UHD 4K 28'' KeyBoard: Corsair K65 RGB Mouse: Cyborg R.A.T 7 Sound: Logitech z506 OS: Windows 10 TP

3 minutes ago, HectiKCookiE said:

I was just watching the mar 11 2016 wan show archive and you guys were talking about scrapyard wars 4 and the much longer, 

TV show style format, i think this is a great idea waiting a week for a short 10 min video was terrible with the last 3 seasons. I know you try to make your videos around 10 mins long to try and retain views through out the video but im pretty sure for videos like build logs, the work shop and stuff like people would watch and enjoy longer videos. i know that my opinion is just one of the millions of views but hey. also i would love to see Denis have his own show he's hilarious, anything he does will be great! P.S i love all the video you guys make for us, thanks!

yeah, i agree, the SYW4 season will be great, but i have one suggestion for LMG:
Fill the time with no interesting products with server stuff :D

@LinusTech @Slick @nicklmg

SYW has never been 10 mins... what?

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

I will definitely enjoy longer episode of SYW and i think the concept of longer videos is awesome.

By the way, whats up with pulling Dennis into the WAN shows lately, he is awesome but clearly very busy.

You should teach him more English, its kinda hard to talk tech if you stumble on your words.

I´m not that much into server stuff but id would be nice see. My interests does seem to evolve with the content LMG are putting out.

Maybe a video about inter connecting everything in your house. I am currently setting up my network with different pcs/Nas server/Printer/Smart TV, could be nice with some tips and tricks. maybe stuff about firewalls soft/hardware (which i know virtually nothing about other than it prevents or allows stuff from doing other stuff) if you set up a server which you want to access from other places than your house.

I am pretty cautious when it come to setting up stuff like than since i don't want people poking in my stuff. so  i haven't done it.

In regards to Scrap Yard Wars...

My personal preference may be a carryover from watching standard television, but I would like to see either of the following scenarios.

1. Scrap Yard Wars episodes are determined using some kind of criteria or narrative that can split the content between 2 but no more than 3 episodes. Basically the current format of the "seasons" there are only 2 challenges in the competition, a Hunt and a Build (testing included). The Hunt episode is focused completely on the hunt and the sourcing of parts and the second Build episode is for the build/testing part of the competition (there can be some carryover from the hunt to the build). The number of episodes is dependant on how interesting the content captured is. Currently it feels more like 2 episodes are divided into multiple parts just to help spread out the content, not because each individual episode is warranted. I guess it would be fine if there was enough happening that could warrant an episode being carried over week to week over with a few to several episodes, but with the current format, that just doesn't seem likely.

2. Ignore how the television model works, Youtube/Vessel is a different paradigm. In this scenario "shorter" episodes work well if presented more often. So a multi-part "season" with several episodes release ever couple/few of days captures and keeps my interest more easily than short-ish episodes over a few weeks.

I understand the desire to split the episodes and spread them as much as possible on the release schedule, but this leads to people losing interest, and I wonder if the analytics support this, regarding a drop in views, etc. I personally find waiting a week between short-ish (kind of the middle ground) episodes spread over a few weeks causes me to lose interest and excitement for the results/epic conclusion. There is just not enough happening in the individual episodes (narratively i guess) to keep me invested. I don't quite binge, but i now wait until the second last episode or even the finale is released before beginning to watch (maybe one a day or every other day) in order to stay interested in the content.

I guess similar approaches can be take with other releases with multi-parts and longer content, but in the end its up to LMG to determine what is best for them.

On 3/11/2016 at 2:00 AM, HectiKCookiE said:

The biggest point of feedback we received on the first three was that many people thought they were too short - we wanted to test the longer format since SYW4 is BY FAR the most packed with content and excitement (in our opinion, guess we can only see if you guys agree once the series is out there).

If the test goes well this time we might look into extending some other content formats, but that is very dependent on what happens here.

Thanks for watching! :)

On 3/11/2016 at 2:04 AM, mikat said:

yeah, i agree, the SYW4 season will be great, but i have one suggestion for LMG:

@LinusTech @Slick @nicklmg

Haha not everyone enjoys the server stuff :P plus we're using this "down-time" as a "pilot season" of sorts - figure out what works now so when the products are coming in fast and furious we know what you guys want to see :)

On 3/11/2016 at 2:43 AM, Groundedbeef said:

I will definitely enjoy longer episode of SYW and i think the concept of longer videos is awesome.

By the way, whats up with pulling Dennis into the WAN shows lately, he is awesome but clearly very busy.

You should teach him more English, its kinda hard to talk tech if you stumble on your words.

I´m not that much into server stuff but id would be nice see. My interests does seem to evolve with the content LMG are putting out.

Maybe a video about inter connecting everything in your house. I am currently setting up my network with different pcs/Nas server/Printer/Smart TV, could be nice with some tips and tricks. maybe stuff about firewalls soft/hardware (which i know virtually nothing about other than it prevents or allows stuff from doing other stuff) if you set up a server which you want to access from other places than your house.

I am pretty cautious when it come to setting up stuff like than since i don't want people poking in my stuff. so  i haven't done it.

Dennis is very fluent in English, he just gets (understandably) a bit flustered when he is pulled onto a show with very little warning. He's an incredibly cool guy, and the audience seems to love him, which is why they keep pulling him in.

And yes, he is very busy, just like everyone else on the team. Bringing Dennis on the WAN Show is one of the most requested actions on that show right now, so we're trying to keep everyone happy without impeding his workflow too much :) 

On 3/11/2016 at 3:30 AM, Ertman said:

In regards to Scrap Yard Wars...

My personal preference may be a carryover from watching standard television, but I would like to see either of the following scenarios.

1. Scrap Yard Wars episodes are determined using some kind of criteria or narrative that can split the content between 2 but no more than 3 episodes. Basically the current format of the "seasons" there are only 2 challenges in the competition, a Hunt and a Build (testing included). The Hunt episode is focused completely on the hunt and the sourcing of parts and the second Build episode is for the build/testing part of the competition (there can be some carryover from the hunt to the build). The number of episodes is dependant on how interesting the content captured is. Currently it feels more like 2 episodes are divided into multiple parts just to help spread out the content, not because each individual episode is warranted. I guess it would be fine if there was enough happening that could warrant an episode being carried over week to week over with a few to several episodes, but with the current format, that just doesn't seem likely.

2. Ignore how the television model works, Youtube/Vessel is a different paradigm. In this scenario "shorter" episodes work well if presented more often. So a multi-part "season" with several episodes release ever couple/few of days captures and keeps my interest more easily than short-ish episodes over a few weeks.

I understand the desire to split the episodes and spread them as much as possible on the release schedule, but this leads to people losing interest, and I wonder if the analytics support this, regarding a drop in views, etc. I personally find waiting a week between short-ish (kind of the middle ground) episodes spread over a few weeks causes me to lose interest and excitement for the results/epic conclusion. There is just not enough happening in the individual episodes (narratively i guess) to keep me invested. I don't quite binge, but i now wait until the second last episode or even the finale is released before beginning to watch (maybe one a day or every other day) in order to stay interested in the content.

I guess similar approaches can be take with other releases with multi-parts and longer content, but in the end its up to LMG to determine what is best for them.

Honestly there is just too much content in the hunt to only warrant one episode (generally speaking). We've evaluated different ways of approaching it, the only way to figure out what works in the real world is to try it - which unfortunately makes experimentation with the series a VERY long process :P 

While YT and Vessel are different than TV, TV is the only real "tried and true basis" for how to create "short-form" video. When testing new models, it's best to start with something that has been proven to work and make adjustments from that model once you establish a feedback cycle (imo at least).

Honestly the one week between episode timing is unavoidable at this time, unless you want us to just wait like 6 weeks and release the whole thing then, just from an editing perspective. While I can understand the desire to binge-watch, releasing a series like SYW over a few days rather than a few weeks is just not a feasible release schedule for us at this time.

13 minutes ago, nicklmg said:

-snip-

Thanks for responding :D
and i'm really looking forward to the 8 gpu server in action :)

but about that not everyone likes server content:

lets say the LTT videos get 300-600 views per video (looks about right from the recent uploads, not including the "viral" videos)

here is my playlist of some of the LTT server videos:

the views are not really that much lower than the average LTT video, and some even have over 1m views (100 TB storinator & 24 SSD server)

so i'd argue that the audience doesn't have a dislike for server stuff :)

44 minutes ago, nicklmg said:

he just gets (understandably) a bit flustered when he is pulled onto a show with very little warning.

I would probably be a bit flustered too, even if i was prepared :D

I understand that YouTube channels try to keep videos fairly short to appease the broader audience (and that makes complete sense) but I would gladly pay (Patreon maybe?) for the longer versions of videos, hell even the unedited versions. I hate when YouTubers trim 30+ minutes of content into a 5-10 minute segment since I regularly watch YouTube in 4-8 hour blocks, not just a video or 6 at a time. This is one of the reasons I've started watching more Twitch playbacks (subbed to @Slick and would sub to @dezeltheintern if he offered the option) just to fill my time.

-KuJoe

Hopefully this means there will be fewer episodes in a shorter time period. I got sick of SYW3 about halfway through. Just felt like you were milking it for as many videos as possible. I often felt that there wasn't much getting done in each episode. Fewer, longer episodes would actually get me to watch all of them, as opposed to just the first few and the last like I did with SYW3.

7 hours ago, KuJoe said:

I understand that YouTube channels try to keep videos fairly short to appease the broader audience (and that makes complete sense) but I would gladly pay (Patreon maybe?) for the longer versions of videos, hell even the unedited versions. I hate when YouTubers trim 30+ minutes of content into a 5-10 minute segment since I regularly watch YouTube in 4-8 hour blocks, not just a video or 6 at a time. This is one of the reasons I've started watching more Twitch playbacks (subbed to @Slick and would sub to @dezeltheintern if he offered the option) just to fill my time.

Honestly most of the unedited videos would be SUPER boring. The parts that get edited out are mostly fiddling with hardware/software trying to figure something out and often making little progress.

6 hours ago, Squirrel724 said:

Hopefully this means there will be fewer episodes in a shorter time period. I got sick of SYW3 about halfway through. Just felt like you were milking it for as many videos as possible. I often felt that there wasn't much getting done in each episode. Fewer, longer episodes would actually get me to watch all of them, as opposed to just the first few and the last like I did with SYW3.

Trying to squeeze it into 3 or 4 ~42 minute episodes. Right now it's looking closer to 4 eps, but no we will not be doing 7 episodes this time around :P

30 minutes ago, nicklmg said:

Honestly most of the unedited videos would be SUPER boring. The parts that get edited out are mostly fiddling with hardware/software trying to figure something out and often making little progress.

Beats sitting in a quiet building for 10 hours by myself, all music and subscription streaming services are blocked at work so I rely on YouTube and Twitch for my sole source of entertainment to keep me sane. It wouldn't be as entertaining as you and Luke playing Click Simulator 2016 (HoTS) but it's better than re-watching old videos I've already seen a dozen times. :)

-KuJoe

1 hour ago, AlexTheRose said:

I know it’s a bit of a daunting proposition to bring the focus off of gaming for your viewers, but as the company grows I think it will become a necessity to bring in more “minority” viewers such as myself. If I’m perfectly honest with you I’m not really that much of a “gamer” – the most GPU power I would ever frequently use would be encapsulated in an R9 380 – but as a subscriber to Linus Tech Tips I would be enthralled in seeing the team delve incredibly deep into the realm of server hardware setup, maintenance/upkeep, and of course the massive numbers you can put in video titles to catch the eyes of watchers :P

Thanks for listening to us @nicklmg. I know server content may not be a huge priority at the moment but as you guys grow I would be really happy to see it become one. :)

Server stuff is definitely on our radar, and we have been focusing on it more and more, we just need to make sure we do it the right way :)

1 hour ago, KuJoe said:

Beats sitting in a quiet building for 10 hours by myself, all music and subscription streaming services are blocked at work so I rely on YouTube and Twitch for my sole source of entertainment to keep me sane. It wouldn't be as entertaining as you and Luke playing Click Simulator 2016 (HoTS) but it's better than re-watching old videos I've already seen a dozen times. :)

Haha totally makes sense. Idunno if that's something we would look into doing at all but we'll keep it in mind!

I'd love to see Dennis involved in more content :D He's hilarious. I'm totally looking forward to SYW4 and Nerd Sports. I subscribed to Vessel because of you guys :) Your videos are great! One Question: When will Nerd Sports be released?

i7 6700k - 32GB DDR4-2133 - GTX 980

Will there be a guest in SYW4?

How about making it really tough, like a 90's retro PC? The socket 7 era, with VooDoo graphics etc....I'd totally watch that!

8 hours ago, nicklmg said:

Trying to squeeze it into 3 or 4 ~42 minute episodes. Right now it's looking closer to 4 eps, but no we will not be doing 7 episodes this time around

I like that plan.

On ‎12‎-‎3‎-‎2016 at 11:04 AM, mikat said:

That would be ABSOLUTELY GREAT, now I start learning more and more about computers (partly because of ltt videos) I start to notice that server/networking crap is WAAAYYY more interesting than only trying to get more fps in games.

Just now, akio123008 said:

That would be ABSOLUTELY GREAT, now I start learning more and more about computers (partly because of ltt videos) I start to notice that server/networking crap is WAAAYYY more interesting than only trying to get more fps in games.

that's what i thought :)