CPU Binning

stan92

How does Intel sort out which cpu is a celeron, pentium, i3, i5 and i7? as they are all from the same wafer?

How does Intel sort out which cpu is a celeron, pentium, i3, i5 and i7? as they are all from the same wafer?

Generealy the cpu cant handle the extra load from cores or hyper threading without a ton of voltage so they just turn those off and call them what they are.

Main Gaming PC - i9 10850k @ 5GHz - EVGA XC Ultra 2080ti with Heatkiller 4 - Asrock Z490 Taichi - Corsair H115i - 32GB GSkill Ripjaws V 3600 CL16 OC'd to 3733 - HX850i - Samsung NVME 256GB SSD - Samsung 3.2TB PCIe 8x Enterprise NVMe - Toshiba 3TB 7200RPM HD - Lian Li Air

Proxmox Server - i7 8700k @ 4.5Ghz - 32GB EVGA 3000 CL15 OC'd to 3200 - Asus Strix Z370-E Gaming - Oracle F80 800GB Enterprise SSD, LSI SAS running 3 4TB and 2 6TB (Both Raid Z0), Samsung 840Pro 120GB - Phanteks Enthoo Pro

Super Server - i9 7980Xe @ 4.5GHz - 64GB 3200MHz Cl16 - Asrock X299 Professional - Nvidia Telsa K20 -Sandisk 512GB Enterprise SATA SSD, 128GB Seagate SATA SSD, 1.5TB WD Green (Over 9 years of power on time) - Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2

Laptop - 2019 Macbook Pro 16" - i7 - 16GB - 512GB - 5500M 8GB - Thermal Pads and Graphite Tape modded

Smart Phones - iPhone X - 64GB, AT&T, iOS 13.3 iPhone 6 : 16gb, AT&T, iOS 12 iPhone 4 : 16gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 7.1.1 Jailbroken. iPhone 3G : 8gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 4.2.1 Jailbroken.

maybe they have robots do that for them. or the latest lga method or something. if i'm right

[spoiler=CORMAC]CPU:Intel celeron 1.6ghz RAM:Kingston 400mhz 1.99gb MOBO:MSI G31TM-P21 GPU:Will add one later on! CASE:local ROUTER D-Link 2750U, D-LINK 2730U MOUSE:HP,DELL,ViP KEYBOARD: v7 SPEAKERS:Creative 245  MONITOR:AOC E970Sw HEADSET: Sony MDRx05s UPS:conex ups avr 500va PSU:idk OD:Samsung super writemaster STORAGE:80 gb seagate+ Seagate 1TB OS:Windows xp sp3 themed to Windows 7 + Linux |Rest all pc in my house will be updated from time-time

COMING SOON

so they test them in some magic way before they go into the box and shipped off? @Hunter259

@ANUPLUCIFERGAMER whats the latest lga mean?

Well at least you didnt make new topics about it.

Asus M5A99X Evo  - AMD FX-8350 - 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1866Mhz - Corsair 120mm Quiet Edition Fans BenQ XL2411Z- EVGA GTX 980 Superclocked Fractal Design Define R4 - Corsair H100i - 2 TB 7200rpm HDD - Samsung 840 Evo 120GB - Corsair RM750w PSU - Logitech G502 Proteus Core - Corsair K70 RGB MX Red - Audio Technica M50x + Modmic 4.0 - LG 23EA63V x2

Spinthat Spinthat Spinthat Spinthat

Desktop: Intel i5-3570K (stock) | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | G.Skill RipJaw 16GB 1600MHz | Samsung 840 120GB | EVGA GTX 680 SC+ 2GB | Fractal Design R4 | Windows 8 Pro (soon to have dual boot Mac OS X)

Retina Macbook Pro : Intel i7-3840QM | 16GB 1600 MHz | 256GB SSD | Nvidia GT 650M 1GB | Mac OS X 10.8.5

Lets say intel makes a bunch of 4770k chips. Say  some of them aren't very stable with hyperthreading and so those becomes i5s. Say some of them are not good with 1 or 2 cores those chips become i3s. then the pentium are cpus that don't handle 1 or 2 cores and hyperthreading and the celerons are like the pentiums, but can't handle as high of a clock speed.

so they test them in some magic way before they go into the box and shipped off? @Hunter259

@ANUPLUCIFERGAMER whats the latest lga mean?

LGA technology of intel. they don't use those pins as AMD still uses it.

[spoiler=CORMAC]CPU:Intel celeron 1.6ghz RAM:Kingston 400mhz 1.99gb MOBO:MSI G31TM-P21 GPU:Will add one later on! CASE:local ROUTER D-Link 2750U, D-LINK 2730U MOUSE:HP,DELL,ViP KEYBOARD: v7 SPEAKERS:Creative 245  MONITOR:AOC E970Sw HEADSET: Sony MDRx05s UPS:conex ups avr 500va PSU:idk OD:Samsung super writemaster STORAGE:80 gb seagate+ Seagate 1TB OS:Windows xp sp3 themed to Windows 7 + Linux |Rest all pc in my house will be updated from time-time

COMING SOON

Generealy the cpu cant handle the extra load from cores or hyper threading without a ton of voltage so they just turn those off and call them what they are.

More specifically, they fuse off the extra stuff that doesn't work.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

LGA technology of intel. they don't use those pins as AMD still uses it.

The pins are in the CPU socket.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

so my 3570k could be nearly as good as a 3770k?

Not necessarily.

could someone elses be nearly as good? or are their bold lines of difference in their testing? does anyone know what is involved in the testing?

What do you mean by "nearly as good" anyways? Performance or overclocking?

I was told that the ones nearest to the center of the wafer are the best of that crop and they just put them aside  for k sku and also different wafers have better characteristics than others so there center CPUs will overclock better than others.

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

@Godlygamer23 purely performance, no overlocking...

@Leonard so there are seperate wafers for celerons, then another for pentium and another for i3, another for i5, and another for i7's? also how big are the wafers? and are they cut into bits?

thankyou @Kirihuna

@Emperor_Piehead so my 3570k could be nearly as good as a 3770k?

or bad as a celeron ? it does have the same ivy core ... are you scared ??

you got what you paid for.so its just as good as any i5 ivy. at stock at least

@s3ns3 , how can i tell how good it is against other i5 3570k's stock?

well ,you can tell by looking at the name. if someone has an i5 3570K at stock,then it will be just as good as yours. because  the cpu is the same.it has the same jigahertz.they run the same cache. same architecture. same model . where am i going with this ?

@Leonard so there are seperate wafers for celerons, then another for pentium and another for i3, another for i5, and another for i7's? also how big are the wafers? and are they cut into bits?

I would thing there are different wafers for different line of CPUs from both vendors and the i3, i5, i7 thing is done on the same wafer but if a CPU is not good as a quad core they just "zap " off two cores and make it a dual core. I have no idea how big the wafers are and yes they are "cut into bits" from the silicon wafer to make each CPU. What i would like to now is how to check if a random CPU is close to the middle of a wafer. If you are really interested about the topic you should check out PCPER website for articles.

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.