help me pick a graphics card

snawaf
Go to solution Solved by SteveGrabowski0,
6 hours ago, snawaf said:

can u link the ram u recommend for me please? and link the gpu too

thank you i love ur replys

MSI and Sapphire are the companies I would buy a 390 from. For memory this 2x8GB Corsair DDR4-3000 set is $15 more expensive than the 2x8GB Kingston DDR4-2133 kit you have in the original post, but I think it's worth it for the gains in minimum framerates.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233863

this is my pc parts i wanna buy a gpu should i buy 

MSI Computer Graphics Cards GTX 960 GAMING 4G     or    MSI R9 380 GAMING 4G Graphics Card

what is the difference and what is better? can the r9 work with an i5 intel cpu?

1) Intel Boxed Core I5-6600K 3.50 GHz, 6 M Processor Cache 6 for LGA 1151 (BX80662I56600K)

2)Kingston HyperX FURY Black 16GB Kit (2x8GB) 2133MHz DDR4 Non-ECC CL14 DIMM Desktop Memory (HX421C14FBK2/16)  

3)MSI Computer ATX DDR4 Motherboard Z170A GAMING M5

4)Corsair Air Series SP120 Quiet Edition Twin Pack Fan

5)(OLD MODEL) Corsair Hydro Series H100i GTX High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler

6) Samsung 850 EVO 250GB 2.5-Inch SATA III Internal SSD (MZ-75E250B/AM)   &  WD Blue 1TB Desktop Hard Disk Drive - 7200 RPM SATA 6 Gb/s 64MB Cache 3.5 Inch - WD10EZEX

7)EVGA SuperNOVA 550 GS 80+ GOLD

10 minutes ago, snawaf said:

this is my pc parts i wanna buy a gpu should i buy 

MSI Computer Graphics Cards GTX 960 GAMING 4G     or    MSI R9 380 GAMING 4G Graphics Card

what is the difference and what is better? can the r9 work with an i5 intel cpu?

You'll find in this forum that most will probably suggest the R9 380.

And yes, it should work with any CPU. Why not? Or are you asking about bottlenecks?

Karamo

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen™ 5 3600 | CPU Cooler: Wraith Stealth | GPU: Gigabgyte AORUS GeForce RTX 2070 Super | Motherboard: MSI B450M Mortar Max | RAM: G.Skill FlareX 2x8GB 3200MHz CL16 | SSD: ADATA XPG SX6000 Pro M.2 256GB | HDD: 1TB 2.5" Western Digital Blue (WD10SPZX) | Case: NZXT H510 | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit |

8 minutes ago, snawaf said:

reason for 960:

- you need shadowplay, gamestream co-op, using nvidia shield

- a tree hugging koala (it uses less power)

- follow up to above, you like green (a fanboy, and you should be ashamed if you are one)

reason for 380:

- slightly higher performance than 960 in most games

- slightly cheaper than a 960

- u like red (a fanboy, and you should be ashamed if you are one)

both gpu will work flawlessly with an intel processor, u can mix any processor with any gpu, no problems there (if you mix ones with similar performance)

well if your case have enough case fans (mine came with FOUR) then you dont need those sp120, unless u wanna push pull on your rad

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

The R9 380 will mop the floor with the GTX 960 with that CPU. With an i3 or lower the 960 is better, but the i5-6600k is a much much stronger CPU that isn't affected nearly as much by AMD DX11 driver overhead. The 380 is a complete no-brainer here if you don't have the money for a 390 or 970.

380 for raw performance... 960 for features.

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero

I would skip the ssd and move my gpu up to an R9 390. Then buy the ssd later. Also you might consider higher speed RAM, it makes a big difference for minimum framerates in some cpu heavy games and often costs barely any more than stock DDR4-2133.

The 380 is a fine card for your budget.

Just please, do NOT buy corsair fans, they're complete shit. They're some of the loudest "premium" fans you can buy. Save your sanity, and your ears, get some phanteks, or cougar fans for roughly the same price.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

The R9 380 has has gotten slightly better benchmark scores and is also a little bit cheaper

22 minutes ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

I would skip the ssd and move my gpu up to an R9 390. Then buy the ssd later. Also you might consider higher speed RAM, it makes a big difference for minimum framerates in some cpu heavy games and often costs barely any more than stock DDR4-2133.

WHY DID I JUST FIND THIS SUGGESTION NOW
I realized that if I put the SSD on hold and bought an R9 390, I wouldve had an R9 390 and an SSD by now.

demmit

Karamo

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen™ 5 3600 | CPU Cooler: Wraith Stealth | GPU: Gigabgyte AORUS GeForce RTX 2070 Super | Motherboard: MSI B450M Mortar Max | RAM: G.Skill FlareX 2x8GB 3200MHz CL16 | SSD: ADATA XPG SX6000 Pro M.2 256GB | HDD: 1TB 2.5" Western Digital Blue (WD10SPZX) | Case: NZXT H510 | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit |

2 minutes ago, Noyu said:

WHY DID I JUST FIND THIS SUGGESTION NOW
I realized that if I put the SSD on hold and bought an R9 390, I wouldve had an R9 390 and an SSD by now.

demmit

personally... after having used an ssd... i dont think i can last even a day without one anymore

so if my new system doesnt have ssd in it in day 1, then might as well not build it up lol

5 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

personally... after having used an ssd... i dont think i can last even a day without one anymore

so if my new system doesnt have ssd in it in day 1, then might as well not build it up lol

point taken. but the R9 390 would be so much better than a 380.

to each his own.

anyways looks like some peoples in my area are willing to buy my R9 380 for 95% of the original price. so weird.

Karamo

Spoiler

7 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

After using a GTX 970 I don't think I could go back to a GPU that doesn't crush games at 1080p. I could give a shit about booting into Windows 10 seconds faster lol.

Just now, SteveGrabowski0 said:

After using a GTX 970 I don't think I could go back to a GPU that doesn't crush games at 1080p. I could give a shit about booting into Windows 10 seconds faster.

thus why save up till you can afford everything :D by then maybe something new have came out and the price of the things u want drops

Just now, Moonzy said:

thus why save up till you can afford everything :D by then maybe something new have came out and the price of the things u want drops

True. Always good to buy at once unless it's for things that don't really age and don't change much in price, like cases, coolers, mechanical hard drives, keyboard & mouse, etc.

6 minutes ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

True. Always good to buy at once unless it's for things that don't really age and don't change much in price, like cases, coolers, mechanical hard drives, keyboard & mouse, etc.

If I saved up till I could afford everything,

I would still be playing with my 4-year old laptop with an i5-2410m + NVidia GT525m. ahahahahaha

BUT, I would already have like something close to 1000$++ as budget. ahahaha

Karamo

Spoiler

3 hours ago, Atmos said:

The 380 is a fine card for your budget.

Just please, do NOT buy corsair fans, they're complete shit. They're some of the loudest "premium" fans you can buy. Save your sanity, and your ears, get some phanteks, or cougar fans for roughly the same price.

what do u recommend?

3 hours ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

The R9 380 is your best bet, as it performs better, specially with that processor.

If I were you though, I'd save up a little more and get an R9 380X, and if you want awesome performance get the R9 390.

28 minutes ago, Hunter-97-G said:

The R9 380 is your best bet, as it performs better, specially with that processor.

If I were you though, I'd save up a little more and get an R9 380X, and if you want awesome performance get the R9 390.

ok 390 or 380x?

what do u recommend?

The slightly more expensive premium fans:

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/noiseblocker-case-fan-nbeloopb122

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/fractal-design-case-fan-fdfanventhp12pwm

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/be-quiet-case-fan-bl062

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/noctua-case-fan-nff12pwm

With the exception of the nf-f12 those are not great for radiators, so as long as you're not slapping them on a rad they'll do great, and be near silent.

The cheaper high quality fans:

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/bitfenix-case-fan-bffspro12025kkrp

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/nzxt-case-fan-rffz140u1

Pick your poison.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

MSI and Sapphire are the companies I would buy a 390 from. For memory this 2x8GB Corsair DDR4-3000 set is $15 more expensive than the 2x8GB Kingston DDR4-2133 kit you have in the original post, but I think it's worth it for the gains in minimum framerates.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233863

On 11/3/2016 at 11:47 AM, snawaf said:

ok 390 or 380x?

The 390 is much better and will be great even at 1440p due to higher mem bandwith and having 8 gigs of it. I'd definitely get the R9 390, but if you are on a budget the 380X will be just fine at whatever games you throw at it.