new zealand faces new "copper tax"

mineblaster

Well this isn't tech related unless you think of the copper plates on coolers. This could mean a price increase in coolers..

Andres "Bluejay" Alejandro Montefusco - The Forums Favorite Bird!!!

Top Clock: 7.889 Ghz Cooled by: Liquid Helium   

#ChocolateRAM #OatmealFans #ScratchItHarder #WorstcardBestoverclocker #CrazySexStories #SchnitzelQuest TS3 SERVER

Well this isn't tech related unless you think of the copper plates on coolers. This could mean a price increase in coolers..

no its charging more to people who dont have a fiber internet connection to boost the sales profit and its only recently become avalable and so not allot of people havent changed yet

no its charging more to people who dont have a fiber internet connection to boost the sales profit and its only recently become avalable and so not allot of people havent changed yet

AAnnnd that's what I get for not reading article. But still, fiber should be everywhere now so it's kinda good/ kinda bad.

#ChocolateRAM #OatmealFans #ScratchItHarder #WorstcardBestoverclocker #CrazySexStories #SchnitzelQuest TS3 SERVER

AAnnnd that's what I get for not reading article. But still, fiber should be everywhere now so it's kinda good/ kinda bad.

It should, but we're all gonna have to face the fact that until people stand up to their ISPs with their bankbooks and refuse to pay extortionate prices for ADSL, DSL, ect then it's not gonna happen... Or someone like Google comes along and takes a giant shit on their monopolies 

Spoiler
Spoiler

"You know I was taught that if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all. You feeling me cocksucker?"

Spoiler

"Ethernet is internet juice. You have to press the internet really hard and you will get it."

Spoiler

"My quantum milk machine brings every boy to all the yards." non futuis et sursum

PC Specs! | I7-950 | 24GB RAM | 10TB Storage | GTX 970 Strix and a 560TI DCUII for Physx | 120GB 840 + 250GB 850 EVO | Asus xonar DGX

Please take a moment to look over the forum CoC here.

The fact it's not common place in the worlds only "superpower" is really sad. As an American, I am deeply ashamed that my country is more obsessed with waging wars than improving their infrastructure to compete with the world. My deepest sympathies to the Kiwi that are getting shafted by this tomfoolery.

panduh 7TT TT

The fact it's not common place in the worlds only "superpower" is really sad. As an American, I am deeply ashamed that my country is more obsessed with waging wars than improving their infrastructure to compete with the world. My deepest sympathies to the Kiwi that are getting shafted by this tomfoolery.

It's not the role of government to bring you faster internet. These are businesses and as long as you keep giving them your money, they will continue to be satisfied shafting you and taking said money while not doing anything.

It's not the role of government to bring you faster internet. These are businesses and as long as you keep giving them your money, they will continue to be satisfied shafting you and taking said money while not doing anything.

True, but it's also the government that's being bribed by corporate lobbyists and this keeps our corrupted ISPs fat and happy. As long as the big boys are being protected, it's hard for a start-up to even go off the ground.

It's also John Key being a little poof and not standing up to America when it comes to Kim dotcom. He's pushing for this GSCB garbage all because Kim dotcom got spied on and he's trying to cover his ass. The whole thing erupted because of America wanting to sue Kim for more money as is expected from American companies.

Google for the love of god buy us some good dedicated Internet lines, join the nz market and liberate us from our shafting in everything tech.

Some would say that it is the job of the government to make sure that those companies entrusted with maintaining infrastructure do a proper job of it.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

the role of the government should be to observe, facilitate, maintain, and check. FOR EVERYONE. obviously war should be a last resort but the usa absolutely adores it, which is why your country spends almost 1 billion in 2 hours on military, whereas mine spends a billion a year.

http://nationalpriorities.org/cost-of/

all of that money could be going to veterans, disabled, homeless, low income, education, infrastructure, environmental protection, housing upgrades for the needy, or just not spending some of it, to lower that 30-40% tax every us. citizen deals with.

i don't think new zealands copper tax really means anything when you look at it like that.

Hardly any of New Zealand has fibre yet. Most are still running on ADSL1/2 or VDSL, fibre roll out wont finish til after 2020, and only 70% of New Zealand is even getting fibre.

Hardly any of New Zealand has fibre yet. Most are still running on ADSL1/2 or VDSL, fibre roll out wont finish til after 2020, and only 70% of New Zealand is even getting fibre.

don't you mean 90% of nz's population that resides within the cities will be getting fiber?

don't you mean 90% of nz's population that resides within the cities will be getting fiber?

There are a few rural Kiwis :P

There are a few rural Kiwis :P

yeah, like 10,000.

honestly. this is a good thing. it will encourage everyone to get fiber, because if you don't, you'll get a nice tax.

same thing with california and eco friendly cars. they tax the non eco friendly, to get people off their lazy ass.

yeah, like 10,000.

honestly. this is a good thing. it will encourage everyone to get fiber, because if you don't, you'll get a nice tax.

same thing with california and eco friendly cars. they tax the non eco friendly, to get people off their lazy ass.

HEY THATS JUST way too true. But still seems like crazy tax ideas are really working well!

HEY THATS JUST way too true. But still seems like crazy tax ideas are really working well!

exactly. AND, with eco products you even get a nice stipend too. i think you get like 8k us back for buying a tesla in california right now, so who's to say they won't do the same with this upcoming fiber network?

hopefully they work faster than google though. i'm 3 blocks away from a fiberhood, and its taken them 3 months to even begin moving my way.

Yeah, I wish Google hits my town but.... *sniff*...

god bless you for living in miami florida. it must be hard.

does brighthouse still have almost daily outages?

god bless you for living in miami florida. it must be hard.

does brighthouse still have almost daily outages?

I don't even know. Right now I have Comcast and even then it glitches for me sometimes. It pretty much sucks over here and I wish it was cold! 

yeah, like 10,000.

Bad example...deluded fools still think the Prius is an "eco" car even though it causes so much environmental damage making those inefficient batteries,

Google is overrated tbh. They only give you 2 options; either get dsl lite like speed for "free" with the one time payment or 60usd a month for 1gbps. The thing is, not everyone wants to shell out $60+ for an internet connection no matter how good a deal for 1gbps it is. If they had a middle plan that was around the 29.99 mark, more or less, then they'd have something. You don't /need/ a 1gbps, you just /want/ it because we're so used to the crappy speeds. Imagine spending around $35 dollars for a 500mbps connection. Why Google doesn't offer real choice is a missed opportunity in my eyes.

Bad example...deluded fools still think the Prius is an "eco" car even though it causes so much environmental damage making those inefficient batteries,

Google is overrated tbh. They only give you 2 options; either get dsl lite like speed for "free" with the one time payment or 60usd a month for 1gbps. The thing is, not everyone wants to shell out $60+ for an internet connection no matter how good a deal for 1gbps it is. If they had a middle plan that was around the 29.99 mark, more or less, then they'd have something. You don't /need/ a 1gbps, you just /want/ it because we're so used to the crappy speeds. Imagine spending around $35 dollars for a 500mbps connection. Why Google doesn't offer real choice is a missed opportunity in my eyes.

Well it's a better option since the US won't get of their lazy arses to catch up with countries like Japan and South Korea.

Well it's a better option since the US won't get of their lazy arses to catch up with countries like Japan and South Korea.

I honestly hate having to use the EA of cable aka Time Warner just because of the lack of choice.

I honestly hate having to use the EA of cable aka Time Warner just because of the lack of choice.

My uncle whom lives in Texas like you has Time Warner and It was decent, mostly cause a lot of servers was right next to us :P but I do see how the EA ISP Squad can really be a pain...

It could be worst, but man...any company that charges a rental fee for the modem is a greedy arse. I actually went out of my way and ordered one off ebay just to not rack up more expenses.