My 6700k is reaching 92°C

Go to solution Solved by DTM450,

Ok its done the problem was that the plastic washers supplied by corsair were 2 mm to short and after replacing them with 4.5mm thick,  9mm2 neoprene rubber squares with holes I can happily say that my temps are perfectly acceptable.

temps.png.bb6841f4052b129f2a7f02ae53f834

Just now, El Diablo said:

But it will solve his problem

Educate yourself.

See my Build here!

Intel 6700k -  Strix GTX 1080Ti - Corsair AX760 - Corsair Dominator 16GB 3000MHz - ASUS Maximus VIII Hero

Seagate Barracuda 1TB -  Samsung 120GB 840 - Samsung 840 EVO 250GB - Corsair H100i - Corsair Air 540 White -

Corsair AF120 - 2x Noctua NF-F12 - 3 x Noctua NF-S12

Dell S2417DG - Dell UH2515H 

7 hours ago, El Diablo said:

And cause anotha one (pst... maybe he's going to need that warranty, hitting these temps constantly, if you know what I mean hehehe)

reminds me of that game...

Super Hot

6 minutes ago, Flowey said:

And cause anotha one (pst... maybe he's going to need that warranty, hitting these temps constantly, if you know what I mean hehehe)

delidding causes problems?

i didnt know of this

what stuf happens if u do a delid

6 hours ago, El Diablo said:

delidding causes problems?

i didnt know of this

what stuf happens if u do a delid

Well u void your warranty, which when running at these temps will definitly shortens the CPU life. Which is why keeping the warranty is good in this situation.

1 minute ago, Flowey said:

Well u void your warranty, which when running at these temps will definitly shortens the CPU life. Which is why keeping the warranty is good in this situation.

Very very true

yea i forgot its a new chip for a moment then

why are these skylakes even getting that high 

and people allways point at amd for heating up africa from their cpu carbon footprint

Just now, El Diablo said:

I'd rather not delid as its only a month old

7 hours ago, El Diablo said:

Very very true

yea i forgot its a new chip for a moment then

why are these skylakes even getting that high 

and people allways point at amd for heating up africa from their cpu carbon footprint

Well MY skylake (i5-6600k), when I run benchmarking software never goes higher then about 55-60 celsius, so I'm guessing he might have had the worst silicon lottery luck for his chip, like,  ever?

Just now, Flowey said:

Well MY skylake (i5-6600k), when I run benchmarking software never goes higher then about 55-60 celsius, so I'm guessing he might have had the worst silicon lottery luck for his chip, like,  ever?

Knowing my luck probably.

I'm going to get more thermal paste and some rubber washers and try and reseating the cooler again

edit

Can't seem to find anywhere with the right sized washers so I'm going to get some neoprene rubber that is 4.5 mm thick to use as a spacer

Edited by DTM450

Delidding doesn't cause problems... Stop listening to linus like he's a fucking god, that delid video was flat out bullshit.

Kraken-bare-die-check.thumb.jpg.ffc25b6fCLU-2nd-try.PNG.796765ea3acc16727c28807d

Spoiler

Chernobyl

AMD FX8350 @ 5GHz | Asus Sabretooth 990FX R2 | 16GB HyperX Savage @1950mhz CL9 | 120GB Kingston SSDNow

EK AMD LTX CSQ | XSPC D5 Dual Bay | Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 240mm & Coolgate Triple HD360

Spoiler

Kraken

Intel i5 4670K Bare Die 4.9GHz | ASUS Maximus VII Ranger Z97 | 16GB HyperX Savage 2400MHz | Samsung EVO 250GB

EK Supremecy EVO & EK-MOSFET M7G  | Dual 360mm Rads | Primochill CTR Phase II w/D5 | MSI GTX970 1670MHz/8000MHz

Graphic Design Student & Overall Nerd

Rather than tear your near new CPU to pieces in the hope it'll help (which it may), likely breaking it and voiding your warranty in the process, check your airflow, check your paste application/cooler seating, and if that doesn't help, RMA that chip and get yourself a new one. Oh, are you OC'ed? If so, you may want to check your voltages just in case.

Laptop: Asus GA502DU

RAM: 16GB DDR4 | CPU: Ryzen 3750H | GPU: GTX 1660ti

Just now, Rangaman42 said:

Rather than tear your near new CPU to pieces in the hope it'll help (which it may), likely breaking it and voiding your warranty in the process, check your airflow, check your paste application/cooler seating, and if that doesn't help, RMA that chip and get yourself a new one. Oh, are you OC'ed? If so, you may want to check your voltages just in case.

Airflow won't fix that mate, Also we don't use razors anymore because only ignorant idiots do that.

Spoiler

Chernobyl

AMD FX8350 @ 5GHz | Asus Sabretooth 990FX R2 | 16GB HyperX Savage @1950mhz CL9 | 120GB Kingston SSDNow

EK AMD LTX CSQ | XSPC D5 Dual Bay | Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 240mm & Coolgate Triple HD360

Spoiler

Kraken

Intel i5 4670K Bare Die 4.9GHz | ASUS Maximus VII Ranger Z97 | 16GB HyperX Savage 2400MHz | Samsung EVO 250GB

EK Supremecy EVO & EK-MOSFET M7G  | Dual 360mm Rads | Primochill CTR Phase II w/D5 | MSI GTX970 1670MHz/8000MHz

20 hours ago, DTM450 said:

OK after reseating the cooler and running an export/encode, Asus Ai suite is saying my temps are around the 78-80 degree mark while HWMonitor says it's in the 80 - 90 mark

Aaaand stop right there.

The CPU Temperature, this software is telling you, is NOT the CPU-Core Temperature. It's another Temperature sensor on the CPU, like near the heat spreader.

Anyway.... Deinstall this piece of Crap shit Software. Ai Suite is Bad. It kills your settings, is Buggy as Hell, kills other sensor-Tools that are actually good (HWMonitor), and can even make your system less stable.

Plus, on MY PC, it got me +30 Watt consumption during Idle. Just like that.

Deinstall it, Load Optimized settings in your UEFI, and then start over from Zero.

Core Clock should be 4.0 Ghz i guess.. But what's the "Core Voltage"? (NOT VID Voltage) You should optimize it with Undervolting. 4.0 Ghz should be stable with 1.13 - 1.15 Volt, maybe 1.18 volt if the Chip isnt thaaat good.

92° on Cores is NOT good. Something is Wrong. Delidding will NOT solve the Problem, so dont do something that stupid, even more if you don't OC.

If nothing helps... Get rid of that Corsair Hydro shit, and get a good Cooler (Air...).

Only the Top high end flagship models in the All-In-One Watercoolers are "okay" (at a similar Level than a Noctua NH D15, in terms of Cooling performance at a certain Noise level).

The cheaper ones are actually utterly Garbage +1. They are LOUD, because the Fan needs a high pressure for the little baby-Radiator, and the cooling Performance is not better, than that of a half-priced Air cooler.

However.... Even a H60 should be able to keep the 6700k at 65-75°C during full Load (CORE temperature) when using Auto settings in Bios/UEFI, and also Fan settings.

Maybe your Pump is broken or something like that. 

Even with the Intel Boxed Cooler you shouldn't hit 92° on your Cores, without Overclocking...

Edit: Guys, pls stop recommending some Bullshit like delidding.

This will not solve the Problem, since the Cooling Performance is Not where it should be. Something there is the Problem.

You dont have to delid a CPU, just to not have it overheat without any Overclock >_>"

My 40€ Thermalright Macho keeps it at 68°C @ 4.5 Ghz. In inrealistic scenarios like Prime95 or RealBench.

Just now, Benji_w said:

Airflow won't fix that mate, Also we don't use razors anymore because only ignorant idiots do that.

I'm just saying its really not a good idea unless you really know what you're doing, you don't care about warranty, and you somehow need that extra couple degrees. It makes sense that you did it, as FX CPUs are older and likely out of warranty, and 5GHz needs some damn good cooling. If he mucks up the delid somehow, its game over for him. If its within warranty, why not RMA it? I'm all for doing it yourself, I tend to do any work on my car myself, but if it was within warranty? Why not let someone else deal with it, for free, with a guarantee you'll have something working afterwards?

I'm just saying its really not a good idea unless you really know what you're doing, you don't care about warranty, and you somehow need that extra couple degrees. It makes sense that you did it, as FX CPUs are older and likely out of warranty, and 5GHz needs some damn good cooling. If he mucks up the delid somehow, its game over for him. If its within warranty, why not RMA it? I'm all for doing it yourself, I tend to do any work on my car myself, but if it was within warranty? Why not let someone else deal with it, for free, with a guarantee you'll have something working afterwards?

You can't delid an FX CPU with that tool, FX cpu's are soldered the only way to delid an FX is to use a blow torch. The images I provided are my 4670k with a straight waterblock on the die. It's very difficult to fuck up delidding a CPU, literally anyone can do it using a wide array of delid tools or even putting the chip in a Vice. Intel keep fucking up their IHS TIM so people like me throw the IHS away because it's fucking pointless.

Spoiler

Chernobyl

Spoiler

Kraken

Just now, Benji_w said:

You can't delid an FX CPU with that tool, FX cpu's are soldered the only way to delid an FX is to use a blow torch. The images I provided are my 4670k with a straight waterblock on the die. It's very difficult to fuck up delidding a CPU, literally anyone can do it using a wide array of delid tools or even putting the chip in a Vice. Intel keep fucking up their IHS TIM so people like me throw the IHS away because it's fucking pointless.

Again, why? When you can just get a new chip, why throw away your warranty in the hopes it fixes your problem? What if his chip suffers from another issue 3 months from now, but he tore it apart and can't get a replacement? It just doesn't make sense unless you don't have a warranty?

Again, why? When you can just get a new chip, why throw away your warranty in the hopes it fixes your problem? What if his chip suffers from another issue 3 months from now, but he tore it apart and can't get a replacement? It just doesn't make sense unless you don't have a warranty?

New chip, new problem because they all use the same poor TIM. For about £10 and a delid tool I managed to drop my temp by 40c underload which was 92c @ 1.215v The last image I posted was 60c at 1.3v... I'm sure you can do the math but hey you've got a warranty, keep swaping chips over and over. I don't understand you're concern about taking a glued on lid off a cpu which slides off with little force for a better thermally performing CPU than a stock one? 

Stock overheating CPU VS One that stays cool with a little elbow grease... wow it's so obvious which is better...

Spoiler

Chernobyl

Spoiler

Kraken

22 hours ago, DTM450 said:

Hahaha no normally it runs at 36 degrees when I'm exporting video it reaches 92°

This right here tells me that your cooler isn't mounted properly. I had the same thing happen with one of the used CPUs I received. At idle it would have pretty good temps but as soon as I put any kind of load on it she would skyrocket to 90*.

4.5mm is kind of thick for a spacer, can't you find anything thinner? It might work if the mounting screws for your cooler are long enough to reach.

Intel Xeon 1650 V0 (4.4GHz @1.4V), ASRock X79 Extreme6, 32GB of HyperX 1866, Sapphire Nitro+ 5700XT, Silverstone Redline (black) RL05BB-W, Crucial MX500 500GB SSD, TeamGroup GX2 512GB SSD, WD AV-25 1TB 2.5" HDD with generic Chinese 120GB SSD as cache, x2 Seagate 2TB SSHD(RAID 0) with generic Chinese 240GB SSD as cache, SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 850, x2 Acer H236HL, Acer V277U be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4, Logitech K120, Tecknet "Gaming" mouse, Creative Inspire T2900, HyperX Cloud Flight Wireless headset, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

1 minute ago, Benji_w said:

New chip, new problem because they all use the same poor TIM. For about £10 and a delid tool I managed to drop my temp by 40c underload which was 92c @ 1.215v The last image I posted was 60c at 1.3v... I'm sure you can do the math but hey you've got a warranty, keep swaping chips over and over. I don't understand you're concern about taking a glued on lid off a cpu which slides off with little force for a better thermally performing CPU than a stock one? 

Stock overheating CPU VS One that stays cool with a little elbow grease... wow it's so obvious which is better...

I personally would be okay doing it, but not everyone is. If Intel messed up my TIM, which they definitely do, I'd go back and say hey, you fucked up, fix it or replace it. The other big concern if future issues. Say the memory controller shat itself? You'd need to RMA it, or buy a new one. Not all the chips have crap temps, and delidding it will certainly help in many cases, but you lose a lot of security in the process. At the end of the day, to each his own. That's all I'll be saying on it, but you do you.

I personally would be okay doing it, but not everyone is. If Intel messed up my TIM, which they definitely do, I'd go back and say hey, you fucked up, fix it or replace it. The other big concern if future issues. Say the memory controller shat itself? You'd need to RMA it, or buy a new one. Not all the chips have crap temps, and delidding it will certainly help in many cases, but you lose a lot of security in the process. At the end of the day, to each his own. That's all I'll be saying on it, but you do you.

Glue the lid back on with black silicone sealant, they won't even know.

I don't condone this but the whole RMA a chip shit is pointless unless it's actually faulty.

Spoiler

Chernobyl

Spoiler

Kraken

7 minutes ago, Benji_w said:

Welcome back, I see you are once again substituting your subjective opinion for objective fact and attacking someone who has an opinion different from yours. Good times.

I find it a very far stretch that you managed to drop the temps by a whole 40* simply by removing a heat load, my suspicion is reinforced by the fact that you were hitting 92* in the first place which probably means you were doing something very wrong especially at only 1.2V.

You mentioned that you got 60* at 1.3V, my friend has a 4790k at the same core voltage with an H100i and gets 64* under max load. Such an improvement that you've made though, good job.

Intel Xeon 1650 V0 (4.4GHz @1.4V), ASRock X79 Extreme6, 32GB of HyperX 1866, Sapphire Nitro+ 5700XT, Silverstone Redline (black) RL05BB-W, Crucial MX500 500GB SSD, TeamGroup GX2 512GB SSD, WD AV-25 1TB 2.5" HDD with generic Chinese 120GB SSD as cache, x2 Seagate 2TB SSHD(RAID 0) with generic Chinese 240GB SSD as cache, SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 850, x2 Acer H236HL, Acer V277U be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4, Logitech K120, Tecknet "Gaming" mouse, Creative Inspire T2900, HyperX Cloud Flight Wireless headset, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

Just now, DragonTamer1 said:

Welcome back, I see you are once again substituting your subjective opinion for objective fact and attacking someone who has an opinion different from yours. Good times.

I find it a very far stretch that you managed to drop the temps by a whole 40* simply by removing a heat load, my suspicion is reinforced by the fact that you were hitting 92* in the first place which probably means you were doing something very wrong especially at only 1.2V.

You mentioned that you got 60* at 1.3V, my friend has a 4790k at the same core voltage with an H100i and gets 64* under max load. Such an improvement that you've made though, good job.

The temps at 1.2v where pre delid, and I know how to apply TIM thanks for your subjective opinion on my skills. I've been building PCs and tuning them up for a good while now. And thanks, not sure if you're being sarcastic or not but thanks anyway. 

Spoiler

Chernobyl

Spoiler

Kraken

The Corsair H60 is best for lower end CPU's that put out less heat. You should consider upgrading to something like an H100/H110 and make sure you're using your own thermal paste. These AIO coolers come with their own thermal paste but it's not as good as something like arctic silver.

Hope this helps.

1 minute ago, Joshe343 said:

The Corsair H60 is best for lower end CPU's that put out less heat. You should consider upgrading to something like an H100/H110 and make sure you're using your own thermal paste. These AIO coolers come with their own thermal paste but it's not as good as something like arctic silver.

Hope this helps.

MX-4 is easy to use and performs just as well, would recommend that over AS, my experience with it wasn't a good one and temps where not great.

Spoiler

Chernobyl

Spoiler

Kraken

10 minutes ago, Rangaman42 said:

its not OC'ed but I'm about to add a spacer behind the cooler bracket to see if that fixes it