Ethernet cables

SnoopyThePilot

So...my new build will be in a room too far from the router to get a decent speed using wifi, so I figured I'll just connect it using an Ethernet cable. However, I got a little lost on all the different categories and types and such, would appreciate if someone could point me in the right direction or straighten me out a bit. 

Side note: my guesstimate is the cable will have to be at least 100 feet long, in case that matters. Will confirm actual length required later today if I can. 

How about a powerline adapters ? save you the hassle of running a cable allows you to stil get good speeds, also add another plug and you can now hardline any computer inthe house as long as you have a power outlet close by. also make sure that the cables are Cat 5e or Cat 6, 

500Mb Powerline Adapters

1200Mb Powerline Adapters

this is what I would do if i could not run a ethernet drop in each place I needed it. 

Also these come in all different speeds, pick what works best for you 

CPUIntel i5-6600k - Mobo - MSI Z170A M3 Gaming - RAM - 16GB G.SKILL DDR4 2133 -  GPU - MSI R9 380 4GB    

CASE - Corsair Cube 540  CPU COOLER - Hyper 212 EVO - PSU - EVGA 1050w 

As long as it has an RJ45 connector on both ends you'll be fine. I'm willing to be that most cables out there use Cat5e, which is the bog standard for networks with gigabit port speeds these days. Cat6 up really only makes a difference if you're pushing higher than gigabit down a single cable.

Hope this helps

Push-To-Talk is a wonderful thing.

5 minutes ago, SnoopyThePilot said:

So...my new build will be in a room too far from the router to get a decent speed using wifi, so I figured I'll just connect it using an Ethernet cable. However, I got a little lost on all the different categories and types and such, would appreciate if someone could point me in the right direction or straighten me out a bit. 

Side note: my guesstimate is the cable will have to be at least 100 feet long, in case that matters. Will confirm actual length required later today if I can. 

CAT 5E is capable of gigabit connection and will work for  most setups if your not going for something like 10Gbps connections, if it's not much more I would suggest to setup up to CAT 6 for the extra durability if this cable is going to be moved around a lot, but it gives the same gigabit connection.

since your going to be using a Router to PC or Router to Patch Pannel to PC, you'll need a straight through configuration.

1 hour ago, W-L said:

CAT 5E is capable of gigabit connection and will work for  most setups if your not going for something like 10Gbps connections, if it's not much more I would suggest to setup up to CAT 6 for the extra durability if this cable is going to be moved around a lot, but it gives the same gigabit connection.

Cat 6a* :)

26 minutes ago, mikat said:

Cat 6a* :)

I meant CAT 6 not CAT 6a, the difference between CAT 6 and CAT 5e I'm referring to is extra insulation or physical size of the cable making it a little more durable rather than the 10 gigabit connections.

1 hour ago, W-L said:

I meant CAT 6 not CAT 6a, the difference between CAT 6 and CAT 5e I'm referring to is extra insulation or physical size of the cable making it a little more durable rather than the 10 gigabit connections.

oww haha, thought you were talking about 10 GbE, for future proofing :)

Random thing I wanted to share:

Every cat 5e UTP can run 100meters and be amplified ONCE!! by a regular switch to run another 100meters. The distortion of the i/o signal after 100meters is already significant.

The quality of the cable matters. One electrician I've spoken with, swore by only using Pirelli UTP (like the tires) He showed me footage of ip-cameras connected with a 200m UTP... (his words)

Cat5e = 1Gbs 

Cat6 = 10Gbs (english wiki says 1Gbs, lol poor Wiki) this is where the 250MHz of the cable reduces the capabilty of that 10Gbs to a length of max 50meters.

Cat6a = 10Gbs / 500MHz, up to 100meters

Wow, I'm always overwhelmed by how many responses I get here, and fast!

8 hours ago, Bacon8tor said:

How about a powerline adapters ? save you the hassle of running a cable allows you to stil get good speeds, also add another plug and you can now hardline any computer inthe house as long as you have a power outlet close by. also make sure that the cables are Cat 5e or Cat 6, 

500Mb Powerline Adapters

this is what I would do if i could not run a ethernet drop in each place I needed it. 

Thought about powerline adapters, but decided against it. Thanks though!

8 hours ago, Steinway said:

As long as it has an RJ45 connector on both ends you'll be fine. I'm willing to be that most cables out there use Cat5e, which is the bog standard for networks with gigabit port speeds these days. Cat6 up really only makes a difference if you're pushing higher than gigabit down a single cable.

Hope this helps

I'm happy with 30mbps here haha, won't even think of gigabit xD RJ45...will keep in mind!

8 hours ago, W-L said:

Not going to move a lot. Matter of fact, it will be plugged into more or less stationary desktop, then routed alongside the wall, inside, outside under...I'm not going to bore you with more details :P  Suppose CAT 5E it is then.

8 hours ago, kevink817 said:

Cat-5e is rated up to 330ft (100m) for a gigabit connection, thats what I'd recommend.

100m...definitely long enough. Thanks again!

8 hours ago, leonard_sun said:

since your going to be using a Router to PC or Router to Patch Pannel to PC, you'll need a straight through configuration.

If by straight through you mean PC --> Ethernet Cable --> Router, then yes, that's the setup. One direct cable from PC to router.

8 hours ago, mikat said:

Gee that selection...Neat, will check them out!

4 hours ago, Belgiangurista said:

Random thing I wanted to share:

Every cat 5e UTP can run 100meters and be amplified ONCE!! by a regular switch to run another 100meters. The distortion of the i/o signal after 100meters is already significant.

The quality of the cable matters. One electrician I've spoken with, swore by only using Pirelli UTP (like the tires) He showed me footage of ip-cameras connected with a 200m UTP... (his words)

Cat5e = 1Gbs 

Cat6 = 10Gbs (english wiki says 1Gbs, lol poor Wiki) this is where the 250MHz of the cable reduces the capabilty of that 10Gbs to a length of max 50meters.

Cat6a = 10Gbs / 500MHz, up to 100meters

Thank you, thank you. I won't be needing more than 50, much less 100 haha.

Thank you all again! Highly appreciated.

17 hours ago, Bacon8tor said:

500Mb Powerline Adapters

Only other thing to consider with this is some times the electric lines are not all on the same fuse box.