Is it worth upgrading from an I5 4690k to an i7 4790k?

Hello,

this is something going in my mind for a lot of time already, I own an i5 4690K overclocked to 4.2ghz

I was wondering what would be the gain on the i7 4790K (without overclocking) so basically almost same frequency but with 4 additional threads, would be the gain substancial? seeing last video of luke and as the performance were 30%-40% less when using both cores at the same times, i would say i could win around 10-15%.

The concern I have is that when I'm streaming on twitch and playing high CPU demanding game (for example battlefront) my CPU reach 100% load really quickly, which is a concern if i want to browse some webpage at the same time.

I was considering waiting for the new broadwell E to come out and get an hexacore (similar to i7 5830k, but the new version on 14nm), and I think is what i should do.

But would actually would like to know what do you think of getting the 4790k and how much would it perform better then my i5

first post here, be kind, my english won't be perfect as it's not my main language, I apologize for that.

Yann

I would wait, especially If you don't plan on overclock the 4790k even further. Broadwell-E will give you a much bigger multitasking performance increase when it does come out.

The hyperthreading or additional threads will help a lot in games in the 4790K. However if you have the money and your build is not that good you should upgrade to the 4790K now.

Ryzen 7 3700X / 16GB RAM / Optane SSD / GTX 1650 / Solus Linux

2 hours ago, NunoLava1998 said:

The hyperthreading or additional threads will help a lot in games in the 4790K. However if you have the money and your build is not that good you should upgrade to the 4790K now.

Well that's not actually true. Most games can't utilize more than 4 threads at a time anyway. I would advise that OP just overclock your i5 further for the time being and wait until you really start seeing evidence of a CPU bottleneck.

i7-4790k @ 4.7GHz, 16GB DDR3 @1866MHz, MSI Gaming X 8G GTX 1080@2060MHz, 500GB SSD, 2TB Raid 0 HDD, 240GB Raid 0 SSD, EVGA SuperNOVA 850W PSU, Fractal Design Define R5 Windowed

welcome to the Linus Tech Tips forums!

@Formenis kinda depends on what 'cha doing to need more threads. gaming? productivity? web crawling?

having the extra 40% do do what with would not be beneficial to swap if just emailing or using the interwebs.

more information is needed

5 hours ago, airdeano said:

welcome to the Linus Tech Tips forums!

@Formenis kinda depends on what 'cha doing to need more threads. gaming? productivity? web crawling?

having the extra 40% do do what with would not be beneficial to swap if just emailing or using the interwebs.

more information is needed

basically I want to be able to play my game, and stream without impacting performance of the game, and be able to watch some youtube video at the same time (for example playing music) and all of that having a reasonable usage of the CPU so that nothing would fell like "lagging"

to note is that I have a 144hz 1440p (g-sync) monitor , as a main monitor that is "draining" much more CPU than my previous 60hz 1080 p (i'm saying the frequency as I can go higher on FPS and i intend to do so, playing at 120fps is really much more comfortable than playing at 60 in my opinion, at least in terms of feelings)

not sure what other information you "need" :D