No trolls please! - Nvidia vs AMD (Opinions/Facts)

sof006

Okay so I made a thread post in this section the other day regarding whether I should get the GTX 980Ti or another kind of AMD graphics card vs Nvidias own.

A lot of you said to wait for Polaris/Pascal... Thing is, I don't want to buy into a new architecture and experience problems first hand and end up being disappointed and I also don't want to wait as I am an impatient person. Essentially what I want is for people on this forum who have first hand used Nvidia and AMD cards and not only ever one manufacturer. Reason for me asking this is because I have used AMD and Nvidia cards and have experienced plenty problems with AMD cards. Now I want to be able to look at an AMD card and say "Yes, purchasing this card is a good idea". I recently tried to move away from Nvidia and upgrade to the R9 Nano but much to my dismay I had problems in doing so... Frame rates dipped, stuttered... The graphics card made horrible coil whine... was loud and hot. So I returned it and got my money back.... I am now again sitting on the fence on whether to chance it yet again and purchase another AMD card. 

This time round I have a bit more money to spend on a nice graphics card instead of purchasing within my usual price range. I have around £500 to play with in order to upgrade... Now I know a lot of you will say that I am going to shoot myself in the foot if I purchase a current gen card, which might be the case but its a risk I am willing to take considering this architecture has a lot of maturing to do vs the new unreleased architecture. 

A lot of you will probably read this and say "TL:DR" but if some of you who have used both Nvidia and AMD could read this and comment then I would be very grateful.

But please, don't flame each other. I want good honest answers, no bias answers!

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

I had a 7850 before upgrading to a 980Ti and had a GTX 460 prior to that so I have some experience going back and forth.  While I have never had a problem with AMD cards really with drivers or anything like some people have but the Nano I think really is a card that is better off being water cooled.  Some of the other higher end AMD cards would probably be better for you than the R9 Nano.  That being said, I have a 980 Ti and absolutely would recommend it but is a little over your budget.

R9 5900X | 32 GB DDR4 3600 | ASUS Crosshair VIII DarkHero | EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 | 2x 1TB WD Black SN850 | Lian Li O11D-XL | Corsair AX1200i

3 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

980Ti > Fury X > Reference 980Ti > Fury >(= if not thermal throttling) Fury Nano (>= if not thermal throttling) 980 >= 390X > 390 >= 970 > 380X > 380 > 960 > 950 > 370 > 750Ti

I don't think I made many mistakes.

I would say reference 980 ti > fury x. Just take reference out of there as a whole. Otherwise pretty damn good, although let's remember that it all depends on the game.

Just now, Mattyp92 said:

I had a 7850 before upgrading to a 980Ti and had a GTX 460 prior to that so I have some experience going back and forth.  While I have never had a problem with AMD cards really with drivers or anything like some people have but the Nano I think really is a card that is better off being water cooled.  Some of the other higher end AMD cards would probably be better for you than the R9 Nano.  That being said, I have a 980 Ti and absolutely would recommend it but is a little over your budget.

I have absolutely no problems going slightly over budget, thats what having a little extra cash is for after all. Am I right? I just want to make sure I get my monies worth and not buy something that i'd be a tad upset with.

System Specs:

4 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

980Ti > Fury X > Reference 980Ti > Fury >(= if not thermal throttling) Fury Nano (>= if not thermal throttling) 980 >= 390X > 390 >= 970 > 380X > 380 > 960 > 950 > 370 > 750Ti

I don't think I made many mistakes.

this is a good honest list

1 minute ago, JoeyDM said:

I would say reference 980 ti > fury x. Otherwise pretty damn good, although let's remember that it all depends on the game.

What? The quote you quoted doesn't even support what you said... Ref 980 Ti is behind the Fury X, just like you quote already says it is..

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

Just now, sof006 said:

I have absolutely no problems going slightly over budget, thats what having a little extra cash is for after all. Am I right? I just want to make sure I get my monies worth and not buy something that i'd be a tad upset with.

The 980 Ti is top of the line and while the Fury (and 980) are better performance/dollar I would say the 980 Ti with an aftermarket cooler (or water cooled) can overclock like a beast and out perform any other card in most games (Titan X not included but the extra $400 does not even close to warrant the extra 2-4 fps)

R9 5900X | 32 GB DDR4 3600 | ASUS Crosshair VIII DarkHero | EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 | 2x 1TB WD Black SN850 | Lian Li O11D-XL | Corsair AX1200i

1 minute ago, Prysin said:

this is a good honest list

I am inclined to agree with the list as well but then comes the whole Direct X12 business and other malarkey... What is the likely hood i'd regret getting a 980 Ti for DirectX 12 titles? 

System Specs:

Just now, Samfisher said:

What? The quote you quoted doesn't even support what you said... Ref 980 Ti is behind the Fury X, just like you quote already says it is..

Read again. I'm suggesting this:

980Ti > Fury X  > Fury >(= if not thermal throttling) Fury Nano (>= if not thermal throttling) 980 >= 390X > 390 >= 970 > 380X > 380 > 960 > 950 > 370 > 750Ti

Removing reference 980 ti as a whole. It's still better than the fury x, at least in my testing.

1 minute ago, sof006 said:

I am inclined to agree with the list as well but then comes the whole Direct X12 business and other malarkey... What is the likely hood i'd regret getting a 980 Ti for DirectX 12 titles? 

not much to regret.

at worst, you'd have the second best option.

you'd still get damn good performance.

Thing is, in the Fury X/980Ti range, it is hard to go wrong. Either product is solid. Although looking at historic data, AMD cards tend to stay relevant for longer then their Nvidia counterparts. So who knows how the Fury X matches up with the 980Ti in 2 years time?

Just now, Prysin said:

not much to regret.

at worst, you'd have the second best option.

you'd still get damn good performance.

Thing is, in the Fury X/980Ti range, it is hard to go wrong. Either product is solid. Although looking at historic data, AMD cards tend to stay relevant for longer then their Nvidia counterparts. So who knows how the Fury X matches up with the 980Ti in 2 years time?

Haha, if only I could time travel! This is such a hard decision. I really like Nvidia and I really like AMD but I have been disappointed by AMD in the past but then I suppose I have also been disappointed by Nvidia.

System Specs:

6 minutes ago, sof006 said:

The 980 Ti supports DX 12 and after a few driver updates actually show it beating the Fury X in DX12.  NVidia also as of today supports the Vulkan API.  If there is one thing NVidia for sure has over AMD it is more frequent and better overall driver support.  Again not that I have had problems in particular with my 7850 when I had it but I did still have to wait longer for a couple game ready drivers.

Edit:  I know AMD has supported Vulkan from the start but that really is now something that both support.

You haven't been able to have this conversation for over a decade, fanboyism utterly destroys the ability to ask. The only thing you can do is look at the objective review data put out by the sites, however flawed and that is what you have. People can't talk freely about this topic in any forum around the world because you just get ad hominen attacks and the thread gets locked.

Take a look at 100+ games on gamegpu.ru and watch the digital foundry videos is my advice.

1 minute ago, Mattyp92 said:

The 980 Ti supports DX 12 and after a few driver updates actually show it beating the Fury X in DX12.  NVidia also as of today supports the Vulkan API.  If there is one thing NVidia for sure has over AMD it is more frequent and better overall driver support.  Again not that I have had problems in particular with my 7850 when I had it but I did still have to wait longer for a couple game ready drivers.

I have also had this experience with AMD. Is there any benchmarks showing the improved performance in DX12?

System Specs:

Just now, sof006 said:

I have also had this experience with AMD. Is there any benchmarks showing the improved performance in DX12?

not really

every other driver release they change places. Last time they did benches AMD was back in the lead. Before that Nvidia caught up. Before that AMD...

ATM there is no real DX12 games out, just BETA or ALPHA games.

Just now, sof006 said:

http://techfrag.com/2015/10/16/new-driver-helps-nvidia-beat-amd-in-ashes-of-the-singularity-dx12-benchmark/

1 minute ago, BrightCandle said:

You haven't been able to have this conversation for over a decade, fanboyism utterly destroys the ability to ask. The only thing you can do is look at the objective review data put out by the sites, however flawed and that is what you have. People can't talk freely about this topic in any forum around the world because you just get ad hominen attacks and the thread gets locked.

Take a look at 100+ games on gamegpu.ru and watch the digital foundry videos is my advice.

I know... but so far so good. The thread is pretty clean. If I see any fanboy antics I will just end up blocking them. I have no hesitation when it comes to it.

System Specs:

2 minutes ago, Prysin said:

""By Gohar Anwar on October 16, 2015""

and i counter with: (by Daniel Williams & Ryan Smith on February 24, 2016 1:00 PM EST)
http://anandtech.com/show/10067/ashes-of-the-singularity-revisited-beta/3

I stand corrected, the only other ones I saw were from August so that is why I picked the one I did.  Granted I didn't look too hard but still my bad.  If anything that proves your last point that it is too early to tell.  Both perform pretty damn well though.

2 minutes ago, Prysin said:

""By Gohar Anwar on October 16, 2015""

and i counter with: (by Daniel Williams & Ryan Smith on February 24, 2016 1:00 PM EST)
http://anandtech.com/show/10067/ashes-of-the-singularity-revisited-beta/3

Whats your 295X2 like? I know the card is very expensive. But comparing it to, say for example... Two 980 Ti's. Which is better? Actual facts.

I'd expect the 295X2 but curious. I could easily Google it but id end up finding mixed information... like my previous Google searches.

System Specs:

2 minutes ago, sof006 said:

Whats your 295X2 like? I know the card is very expensive. But comparing it to, say for example... Two 980 Ti's. Which is better? Actual facts.

I'd expect the 295X2 but curious. I could easily Google it but id end up finding mixed information... like my previous Google searches.

The higher the resolution, the better the 295X does compared to the 980 Ti in SLI

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Gigabyte/GTX_980_Ti_G1_Gaming/10.html

Just now, sof006 said:

2x 980Tis would beat a 295x2 easily.

my 295x2 is about 15-20% faster then a 980Ti.... So naturally, 2x 980Ti would wreck my card by a good margin.

The downside of the 295x2 is that you need a damn good PSU, that has to meet VERY specific needs. If not you risk your PC catching fire. Like seriously, ive done thermal imaging of my computer under stresstest loads. in all honesty, you need the beefier hardware to handle this card. Dont bother buying one.

Also, a 295x2 is generally around 550-650 USD. I paid 575 USD for mine.

1 minute ago, Mattyp92 said:

The higher the resolution, the better the 295X does compared to the 980 Ti in SLI

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Gigabyte/GTX_980_Ti_G1_Gaming/10.html

thats only a single 980 TI

here, this is 295x2 vs 980 SLI

now... 980 SLI wins out quite a bit.

add 20% more power for each GPU and a 980Ti SLI setup should be AT LEAST 40% faster then my 295x2.

5 hours ago, Prysin said:

thats only a single 980 TI

here, this is 295x2 vs 980 SLI

now... 980 SLI wins out quite a bit.

add 20% more power for each GPU and a 980Ti SLI setup should be AT LEAST 40% faster then my 295x2.

Good catch, I searched for SLI vs 295x and that is what came up and I misread it.  My bad.

5 hours ago, valdyrgramr said:

Yes, but design it wouldn't be the same thing.  Wasn't the last dual solution on a single pcb the 690?  After that we got the titans and gimped titan tis.  Nvidia wins the single card solution, but in the dual on one pcb that goes to AMD.  Also, doesn't' a 290x crossfire score slightly higher than a 295x2 as well?

2 SLI'ed 680s beat the 690 too, two separate PCBs always out perform 2 GPUs on a single PCB due to heat and power limitations.