Difference between a $1000 3D printer and a $350 3D printer?

I was looking at something like a M3D or an Ultramaker Original. What's the actual difference in performance?

it mostly comes down to accuracy, and ease of use. (ease of use takes engineering, which costs money)

I'd be willing to bet a $350 printer doesn't come assembled too. 

print resolution and print size

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

5 minutes ago, DaltonM said:

I'd be willing to bet a $350 printer doesn't come assembled too. 

I'm fine with that 

7 minutes ago, manikyath said:

it mostly comes down to accuracy, and ease of use. (ease of use takes engineering, which costs money)

What do you mean by accuracy? Are you talking about when that plastic stringy material is accidentally made?

Just now, Johnmakuta said:

What do you mean by accuracy? Are you talking about when that plastic stringy material is accidentally made?

That can usually be fixed by adjusting retraction.

One of the issues I had with my 280$ printer is that the gantry sagged, and needed constant attention to keep it calibrated.

With my new printer in my signature, the issue is completely gone. The frame is much sturdier, the parts are to a much higher tolerance, and plenty of other things

1 hour ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

Performance will likely be similar but the accuracy and reliability of the ultimaker will kick ass

How do you measure performance if not by accuracy? 

A lot of times it's print quality, mechanical quality, and build volume. I can guarantee you will have much fewer issues and much more success with an ultimaker original. Once I got the settings figured out on mine, it prints with almost 100% success rate.

ASU

with a $350 printer, you are going to have to spend alot of time constantly calibrating it and checking on it, whereas a ultimaker is generally pretty reliable.

Most people with $350 printers have a success rate of 50% with their prints or lower! An Ultimaker is going to be better.

Intel i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H, Gigabyte GTX 770 4GB Windforce, 16GB G.Skill - NT 1600MHz, 250GB Samsung Evo SSD, 2x 1TB Seagate HDD, Corsair H100i CPU cooler w/Noctua Fans, 4x SP120, Fractal Design Define R4, LG W224T, Func MS-3, Apple Numeric Keyboard

-   BBR4 Hackintosh   - Server Rig

9 minutes ago, tommy-b-10 said:

with a $350 printer, you are going to have to spend alot of time constantly calibrating it and checking on it, whereas a ultimaker is generally pretty reliable.

Most people with $350 printers have a success rate of 50% with their prints or lower! An Ultimaker is going to be better.

You're totally right. Honestly those looking for a printer cheaper than what printrbot offer would be better off building a reprap or doing what @iamdarkyoshi did and hope for the best. But with all the calibration, hardware issues (the thing that plagued my prusa i3 build), and just random bull shit that all 3D printers have to offer, it's much easier just to have someone build it for you or make a nice kit for you. #ultimakermasterrace

ASU

21 hours ago, Hackentosher said:

You're totally right. Honestly those looking for a printer cheaper than what printrbot offer would be better off building a reprap or doing what @iamdarkyoshi did and hope for the best. But with all the calibration, hardware issues (the thing that plagued my prusa i3 build), and just random bull shit that all 3D printers have to offer, it's much easier just to have someone build it for you or make a nice kit for you. #ultimakermasterrace

Exactly, I built my i3 rework a year ago, and I still havent managed to get it working 100% yet, every 2nd print or so fails or the hot end gets clogged. I would have much rather end saved for the year and got a more expensive one haha. Isn't worth the time!

Intel i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H, Gigabyte GTX 770 4GB Windforce, 16GB G.Skill - NT 1600MHz, 250GB Samsung Evo SSD, 2x 1TB Seagate HDD, Corsair H100i CPU cooler w/Noctua Fans, 4x SP120, Fractal Design Define R4, LG W224T, Func MS-3, Apple Numeric Keyboard

-   BBR4 Hackintosh   - Server Rig

5 hours ago, tommy-b-10 said:

Exactly, I built my i3 rework a year ago, and I still havent managed to get it working 100% yet, every 2nd print or so fails or the hot end gets clogged. I would have much rather end saved for the year and got a more expensive one haha. Isn't worth the time!

I often get issues with filament jams, try lowering your temperature 2-5 degrees after your first layer.

ASU

max printing size, speed, accuracy, component durability

I'm still waiting for @iamdarkyoshi to release the plans for his DIY 3D printer so I can start working on mine :D

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

2 hours ago, revsilverspine said:

I'm still waiting for @iamdarkyoshi to release the plans for his DIY 3D printer so I can start working on mine :D

Yah sorry I have been busy :P

On 3/9/2016 at 2:30 AM, revsilverspine said:

Why not just build a less janky Prusa i3? Also Ultimaker releases all the plans for their printers.

ASU

I own a Velleman K8200. It's finnicky at first but once you get it going it kicks ass. It comes as a kit so how well it performs is somewhat up to you but I have mine running pretty well. I did put some steel wire on to brace the frame to stop vibrations from being transmitted to the gantry at high print speeds, but the gantry itself is quite robust. This makes it so that it can not only be used for 3D printing, but you could easily affix a rotary tool to it and have a CNC mill. It also has a heated bed, which is handy. I believe you could find it for as little as 450 euros nowadays although I paid about 550 at the time.

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.