USB Microphone or AMP + mic

pix-
Go to solution Solved by Donk Quixote,

I would not recommend the Yeti. I say either get a USB mic in the $50 range (my CAD U37 has served me well) or spend $150 and get an audio interface with an XLR mic (watch this video for more info).  My logic is the reason you would spend $100 on the Yeti vs $50 is because of quality.  But if you really cared about quality it's best to get an audio interface.  Plus some audio interfaces (like the Scarlett 2i2) are capable of powering headphones like the HD598 and K712, more so than most motherboards.  So you get a capable headphone amp at the same time.

But really I would get that other Genius mic first.  It's probably close to what you have now before it broke so it most likely works for you.

Hello guys,

I have a 15 years old desktop Genius microphone and it broke :P. I fixed by doing an open heart surgery, but it doesn't work well anymore. I use the microphone for teamspeak/discord/mumble/skype while i play video games with some of my friends. I spend like 1 hour per day, almost every day, so i need a new one. The thing is that i can buy other 3eur microphone wich is the same with the one i have now, but seems that this era died, since everyone recomends microphones like Blue. 

Now, i read that those microphones who record good are not on 3.5mm jack anymore, that they are usb or connected to AMP. What do you guys recomend me for a good quality ? 

A standard 3.5mm, USB one or AMP + mic ? Why i add AMP into this discussion ? Because i have 2 pair of headphones connected to standard soundcard from motherboard (asus maximus vii hero), dt770 80ohm and hd598. Id like, sometimes, a higher volume, so i dont mind buying an amp + headphones if is at a good price, but i can take an usb or 3.5mm jack headphones for now and i will stick with AMP other time. 

I dont have a budget for this, i can go with it til blue yeti, but i read some reviews and it catches mouse clicks + keyboard clicks (i have mx brown). I know there are others variants, like AT2020 or modmic4, but on some reviews, i heard a little noise on modmic4 if you dont have a dedicated soundcard or a dac, so i am in a somehow difficult situation in finding the best solution.

Please help me choosing the best option without throwing a lot of money on this.

Im sorry for my english, is a bit rusty.

pix!

The best mic would be the Blue Snowball. It is only $50 and uses USB. It has a very short range so you have to be right up next to the mic for it to hear you. I would recommend getting a pop filter for it because with the mic being so close, there is a lot of feedback that a pop filter would eliminate.  

New: PCPartPicker part list

Old:Intel® Core2 Quad CPU Q8400 @ 2.66GHz, GIGABYTE GA-EP43T-UD3L, 4 GB Elixir PC3 ddr3-1333,  ASUS RADEON R7 260X, Thermaltake M9, 1TB HDD, GreatWall GW550SEL 550 WATT, BENQ GW2255, Hyper T4, Samson SR950 Headphones, fiio ek10.

@Mikeak172 I've read that blue snowball has the same issues like blue yeti, with catching the mouse clicks and keyboard ? 

@Slyhawk Wont be this bad if i dont have a dedicated sound card or dac ? I saw on youtube some videos and they are saying that is static noise.

Thank you for trying to help, but do you read the first message ? You didnt told me anything new, just 2 microphones i knew about. Any of you have this and use without a soundcard and doesnt catch room noise or static noise ?

Is linustechtips gotdamnit, not reddit.

5 minutes ago, pix- said:

@Mikeak172 I've read that blue snowball has the same issues like blue yeti, with catching the mouse clicks and keyboard ? 

@Slyhawk Wont be this bad if i dont have a dedicated sound card or dac ? I saw on youtube some videos and they are saying that is static noise.

Thank you for trying to help, but do you read the first message ? You didnt told me anything new, just 2 microphones i knew about. Any of you have this and use without a soundcard and doesnt catch room noise or static noise ?

Is linustechtips gotdamnit, not reddit.

well sound cards are useless now since motherboard audio is good enough, but if your mobo cant drive your headphones get a dac depending on how much your willing to spend you could get a fiio ek10 for cheap or pay something more for a schiit stack. about the mic im not too sure if an amp would help with static noise.

New: PCPartPicker part list

Old:Intel® Core2 Quad CPU Q8400 @ 2.66GHz, GIGABYTE GA-EP43T-UD3L, 4 GB Elixir PC3 ddr3-1333,  ASUS RADEON R7 260X, Thermaltake M9, 1TB HDD, GreatWall GW550SEL 550 WATT, BENQ GW2255, Hyper T4, Samson SR950 Headphones, fiio ek10.

I would not recommend the Yeti. I say either get a USB mic in the $50 range (my CAD U37 has served me well) or spend $150 and get an audio interface with an XLR mic (watch this video for more info).  My logic is the reason you would spend $100 on the Yeti vs $50 is because of quality.  But if you really cared about quality it's best to get an audio interface.  Plus some audio interfaces (like the Scarlett 2i2) are capable of powering headphones like the HD598 and K712, more so than most motherboards.  So you get a capable headphone amp at the same time.

But really I would get that other Genius mic first.  It's probably close to what you have now before it broke so it most likely works for you.