How much security software do I need for school WiFi?

Camsung

My school's WiFi network is public, which means that anyone can connect to it, but internet access is only granted once you sign in with your school account via the browser. How safe is such a network (visible with no password to connect, but password is required to get internet access), and what security software do I need. At home I am connected via Ethernet directly to my modem, so I only use Avast Antivirus since I am on a trusted network and only my family members use the network. however, at school there are loads of people who use the wireless network, so would I need a better antivirus or even a full internet security suite? Do I need to run an on-demand scanner like Malware Bytes every week?

Your school doesn't require a password? Something is seriously wrong here.

Even if it's through the browser, you can still connect just not to the internet right? So anyone has access to the LAN.

Desktop: Intel i5-3570K (stock) | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | G.Skill RipJaw 16GB 1600MHz | Samsung 840 120GB | EVGA GTX 680 SC+ 2GB | Fractal Design R4 | Windows 8 Pro (soon to have dual boot Mac OS X)

Retina Macbook Pro : Intel i7-3840QM | 16GB 1600 MHz | 256GB SSD | Nvidia GT 650M 1GB | Mac OS X 10.8.5

I just have Microsoft security essentials and I have a similar school network.

Desk: monitors 3x Asus VE248h(eyefinity), Keyboard Cm Strom Trigger(mx red), Mouse Corsair m65, Headset Audio Technica ATH-M50

Black Friday 2013 Build: i7 4770k, Gigabyte Z87X UD5H, 16gb Corsair, Msi R9 290, Corsair Axi 760, Corsair 750D, 2x intel 530 240gb ssd, 2x Seagate 400gb

Older Machine amd x640, msi 760g mobo, 8gb gskillz, Sapphire 6870, Corsair hx650, Cooler master haf 922, ocz agility 3 120gb ssd || HTPC: i7 3770k, shuttle xpc z77, 16gb gskillz, Asus GTX 650 ti, intel 120gb msata ssd

Also, you probably just need Malware Bytes + MSE / Microsoft Defender

Desktop: Intel i5-3570K (stock) | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | G.Skill RipJaw 16GB 1600MHz | Samsung 840 120GB | EVGA GTX 680 SC+ 2GB | Fractal Design R4 | Windows 8 Pro (soon to have dual boot Mac OS X)

Retina Macbook Pro : Intel i7-3840QM | 16GB 1600 MHz | 256GB SSD | Nvidia GT 650M 1GB | Mac OS X 10.8.5

Is Avast Antivirus + Windows 8 enough?

You should note that any HTTP sites that you go on whilst on a public network is transmitted in plain text therefore everyone can see passwords etc.  Therefore i would recommend a VPN (you may be able to bypass the captive portal  by setting the VPN to port 53) as this will encrypt your traffic to the end point which could be your home network. Unfortunately i have the same problem in college with them using open WIFI although i can't get my head around why.

In Windows, be sure not tell to make your computer visible on the network.

- Windows 8 alone should be enough (Security Essentials is already included)

The only difference in the security, is that instead of having a student thtry and hack your computer from distance, you can have anyone connected to the network. But, it point can be mute, depending on how the router works. Do you connect to the router itself sandboxed from everyone, and that grant you access when you login, or not. If you are sandboxed (which I kinda hope you are), then it's like if you needed a password to login to the network from Windows.

I am no security expert.

If you don't mind paying for software, Avast has their SecureLine software.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Do you have access to other network resources if you don't sign in? If not, I'm guessing you'll be fine. Either way, you should have some kinda antivirus/firewall etc no matter what, and those can usually be set to a public network profile.

I would add a firewall like Comodo Firewall in order to monitor incoming and outgoing connections and to block random incoming and outgoing connections.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

I would add a firewall like Comodo Firewall in order to monitor incoming and outgoing connections and to block random incoming and outgoing connections.

And you can stop all network activity through the software, in case anything bad occurs.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

SO are passwords you enter (For example on Facebook or Hotmail) visible to anyone in the network since it is public?

SO are passwords you enter (For example on Facebook or Hotmail) visible to anyone in the network since it is public?

If they have the necessary hardware to intercept the signals, and the website isn't encrypted at login, yes. On websites like Facebook, the login page may not be encrypted by default(can't remember). But I can definitely tell you that by default, navigation around Facebook is not encrypted. Also, I'd like to add that logging into the forum is not encrypted. So therefore, if you come onto LTT on a public network, anyone can intercept the signals(provided they have the required hardware) and gain your password.

Just run your favorite AV + MBAM and you're fine.

Not quite. SIgnals that are sent out that aren't encrypted will not be encrypted by traditional anti-virus software. If he logs in to LTT while on a public network, anyone with the necessary hardware will be able to intercept the signals and gain his password.

Not quite. SIgnals that are sent out that aren't encrypted will not be encrypted by traditional anti-virus software. If he logs in to LTT while on a public network, anyone with the necessary hardware will be able to intercept the signals and gain his password.

www.vpnium.com

www.securitykiss.com

www.hotspotshield.com (Support linus)

www.proxpn.com

www.vpnium.com

www.securitykiss.com

www.hotspotshield.com (Support linus)

www.proxpn.com

I know he can use those, but if he didn't....That's what my statements were towards.

I know he can use those, but if he didn't....That's what my statements were towards.

Are those activities allowed? I'm not sure what the person needs. Probably a BackTrack OS.

Wait, so anyone can see my passwords even if I'm using an Antivirus? Should I reinstall Norton Internet Security then? I thought I didn't need it but maybe I do.

Your school doesn't require a password? Something is seriously wrong here.

Even if it's through the browser, you can still connect just not to the internet right? So anyone has access to the LAN.

read the post again

he DOES require a password

same with my school, you use your username and password through the browser

unless you have serious hackers at your school trying to steal confidential government information, you shouldn't worry about it

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

read the post again

he DOES require a password

same with my school, you use your username and password through the browser

unless you have serious hackers at your school trying to steal confidential government information, you shouldn't worry about it

"My school's WiFi network is public, which means that anyone can connect to it, but internet access is only granted once you sign in with your school account via the browser."

You can still get on the LAN. And if you go to a big university, there is always someone who can do something that you don't know about.

What LAN? the wireless router sandboxes the connection... you can't see other users.

That's weird, because on my school's internet is shows all the computers...

Wait, so anyone can see my passwords even if I'm using an Antivirus?

If the connection is not encrypted and you're not using a VPN.