H115i Running Too Hot

I thought my temps were fine but with comparing to other people I'm running way to hot. I'm using an overclocked 5280K with idle temps at 40C and Intel XTU stress test temps at around 74C. I'm running this at performance mode as well. Temps seem to fluctuates between 67 and 74.

Can I get some help?

what are the ambient temps like in the room?

Gaming - Ryzen 5800X3D | 64GB 3200mhz  MSI 6900 XT Mini-ITX SFF Build

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

I have my 5820k overclocked to 4.3ghz at 1.225v on an NZXT Kraken x61, and my idle temsp are mid-40s with load temps as high as low 80s.

1 minute ago, suchamoneypit said:

what are the ambient temps like in the room?

Right now it's 18C

3 minutes ago, NavXIII said:

I thought my temps were fine but with comparing to other people I'm running way to hot. I'm using an overclocked 5280K with idle temps at 40C and Intel XTU stress test temps at around 74C. I'm running this at performance mode as well. Temps seem to fluctuates between 67 and 74.
Can I get some help?

Those are quite warm, I would try remounting high idle temps are almost always caused by poor mounting pressure. Be sure to tighten the bolt down and give it a quarter turn with a screw driver to snug things up. 

If your still experiencing high temps you may want to consider the washer mod, i've seen it work quite a lot of times with great success:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1465656/concerns-about-newly-installed-corsair-h100i

1 minute ago, W-L said:

Those are quite warm, I would try remounting high idle temps are almost always caused by poor mounting pressure. Be sure to tighten the bolt down and give it a quarter turn with a screw driver to snug things up. 

If your still experiencing high temps you may want to consider the washer mod, i've seen it work quite a lot of times with great success:

I'm not going to argue that it might be a mounting issue, but I have similar, if not worse temps than he does. I've re-mounted my cooler and radiator, cleaned everything, and re-applied thermal paste. (As well as going from Arctic Silver to IC Diamond.) I'm just going to chock it up to the 5820k being a very hot chip, where the silicon lottery plays a larger role than on something like a Skylake chip.

6 minutes ago, W-L said:

I checked to see if the front was loose and it's on there pretty tight. The X99 sockets already come with a backplate that's compatible with the cooler. I don't think it comes off since I don't see any screws on it.

Already remounted and that didn't seem to make a difference. Also check out the pictures below.

IMG_1922.JPG

IMG_1924.JPG

IMG_1923.JPG

Just now, NavXIII said:

-SNIP-

10 minutes ago, NonaHexa said:

-SNIP-

Good point this is on X99 and it doesn't have backplates and do get a bit hotter as NonaHexa mentions. I would see if it's possible to tighten it down a bit more with a screw driver than just hand tightening to see if it applies a bit more pressure.

4 minutes ago, W-L said:

Good point this is on X99 and it doesn't have backplates and do get a bit hotter as NonaHexa mentions. I would see if it's possible to tighten it down a bit more with a screw driver than just hand tightening to see if it applies a bit more pressure.

I used a screw driver to tighten as much as I can. When I first built this rig a few weeks ago I had some boot problems. I didn't note the CPU temps (could've been 25C or something) before taking off the mobo and showing it to them. They gave it back with some new thermal paste on it.

28 minutes ago, NavXIII said:

I used a screw driver to tighten as much as I can. When I first built this rig a few weeks ago I had some boot problems. I didn't note the CPU temps (could've been 25C or something) before taking off the mobo and showing it to them. They gave it back with some new thermal paste on it.

That sounds really good temps for idle, what happened to the previous unit?

1 minute ago, W-L said:

That sounds really good temps for idle, what happened to the previous unit?

Nothing. Apparently I put the ram in the wrong slots because I followed what the manual said which was wrong. The markings on the mobo (which I didn't notice until the tech guy pointed it out) indicated the correct positions. Since I wiped the thermal paste off the CPU he put some new one on. Don't know brand, but I think it might be worse than the pre-applied one that came with the cooler.

2 minutes ago, NavXIII said:

Nothing. Apparently I put the ram in the wrong slots because I followed what the manual said which was wrong. The markings on the mobo (which I didn't notice until the tech guy pointed it out) indicated the correct positions. Since I wiped the thermal paste off the CPU he put some new one on. Don't know brand, but I think it might be worse than the pre-applied one that came with the cooler.

The difference between pasts aren't that much usually a few degrees, but some good stuff out there is MX-4, Thermal Grizzly, and Gelid Extreme. If it's arctic silver 5 that stuff is good also but does require a curing time of 200 hours where temps can drop about 5C from initial install. 

6 minutes ago, W-L said:

The difference between pasts aren't that much usually a few degrees, but some good stuff out there is MX-4, Thermal Grizzly, and Gelid Extreme. If it's arctic silver 5 that stuff is good also but does require a curing time of 200 hours where temps can drop about 5C from initial install. 

Well then what could possibly explain such high temps? If a lot of people with the same cooler and CPU get the same temps then I can live with it. But if it's just me I'd like to know why.

1 minute ago, NavXIII said:

Well then what could possibly explain such high temps? If a lot of people with the same cooler and CPU get the same temps then I can live with it. But if it's just me I'd like to know why.

Are you overclocking your CPU btw that would be one reason why it's hotter, if not it's usually linked back to mounting, or possibly not enough pressure in this case.

How high is your overclocking, and with what voltage.

If you're doing 4.6GHz and 1.35v, the load temp is fine. Although the idle temp seems a bit high.

One more thing. Look at the core temp(average of the six cores), not the package temp. The package temp is always higher than the core temp. But what matter is the core temp.

7 minutes ago, Deli said:

What cooler do you have? There is no such thing as H115i. I can see in the picture it's a Corsair Asetek unit. But which one? Also, how high is your overclocking, and with what voltage.

If you're doing 4.6GHz and 1.35v, the load temp is fine. Although the idle temp seems a bit high.

One more thing. Look at the core temp(average of the six cores), not the package temp. The package temp is always higher than the core temp. But what matter is the core temp.

I think the H110i GTX was renamed to H115i. Google it, it's a real thing. I'm overclocking up to 1.3V and 4.5ghz. 1.35 with 4.6ghz goes to as high as 83C, which is not good. I keep it at 4.5 and 1.3V until I can figure out if I could get it cooler. Also the core average is about high 60s 4.5 and 1.3V. 

1 hour ago, NavXIII said:

I think the H110i GTX was renamed to H115i. Google it, it's a real thing. I'm overclocking up to 1.3V and 4.5ghz. 1.35 with 4.6ghz goes to as high as 83C, which is not good. I keep it at 4.5 and 1.3V until I can figure out if I could get it cooler. Also the core average is about high 60s 4.5 and 1.3V. 

Just Google already. Why the hell Corsair keeps renaming their AIO coolers with minimum changes.

Your temp is fine. Anyone boosts they can run 4.8GHz at 60's C must have a very good chip. My CPU also running at 4.5GHz, 1.295v at very high 60's under AIDA 64. And very high 70's C at 4.625Ghz(I use 125MHz BC). Bear in mind I have 2x 240mm rad in my loop just for the CPU. So, I'd say your CPU temp is OK.

5820K has six cores, which pumps out a lot more heat than the four cores counterparts.

1 hour ago, Deli said:

Just Google already. Why the hell Corsair keeps renaming their AIO coolers with minimum changes.

Your temp is fine. Anyone boosts they can run 4.8GHz at 60's C must have a very good chip. My CPU also running at 4.5GHz, 1.295v at very high 60's under AIDA 64. And very high 70's C at 4.625Ghz(I use 125MHz BC). Bear in mind I have 2x 240mm rad in my loop just for the CPU. So, I'd say your CPU temp is OK.

5820K has six cores, which pumps out a lot more heat than the four cores counterparts.

I can go up to 4.6 on 1.35V and maybe more on 1.3V. I think I ended up with a good chip but temps seem like the main bottleneck. My last resort is to try a new thermal paste and check to see if I used the right size stand offs because it came with multiple different ones.