To SSD or not to SSD

steezemageeze

I've been thinking about this for a while, and wanted some second opinions. My old laptop has a 160GB Hitatchi HDD in it that is overheating (At the moment, it is sitting at 47C while my CPU is 28C), slow, and at times, sounds terrible. I really want to just stick a 120GB SSD in it, but a few things are holding me back. I'm pretty sure my laptop is outfitted with a SATA II port, so I worry that the speed increase would be negligible, in which case I should probably just go for mass storage and grab a new HDD. Also, I'll be getting a new laptop when I go to college in two years, so I feel that upgrading this POS is a dumb idea. The last thing is that I just got Manjaro to the point where I'm satisfied with it, but I figure I can just clone the old drive and be fine, so that's not really important. What are your thoughts?

EDIT: this probably should've gone in storage solutions, but I wasn't paying attention. I'll let the mods decide

A Guide For Getting Started With Linux

My first rig:   CPU: AMD Athlon X4 860k Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper T4 MoBo: Gigabyte GA-F2A88XM-DH3 Video Card: EVGA GTX 750 Ti Superclocked RAM: 8GB Kingston HyperX Fury White 1866MHz Storage: WD Blue 1TB PSU: EVGA 100-W1-0500-KR Case: Rosewill SRM-01

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

The sata 2 port will limit the SSD speeds to about under 300 mbps however, think about this. You can later use the SSD on your new laptop in a couple years. If you really want to improve performance and you use your laptop often enough, then I would do it. The SSD will still boost boot time and programs while running cooler i believe.

Main Gaming and Streaming PC: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Vinsinity/saved/TjwVnQ

Ultrabook and College Laptop:

Spoiler

XPS 13 9350:

i5-6200U

8GB RAM

Samsung PM951 250GB M.2 Solid State Drive

Workstation Laptop:

Spoiler

Sager NP8672 (P670SG):

i7-4720HQ

32GB (4 x 8GB) CORSAIR Vengeance Performance

Samsung 850 EVO 250GB M.2 Solid State Drive (Boot Drive)

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 Solid State Drive (Video Drive)

Crucial MX100 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Secondary SDD Storage)

Western Digital (Blue or Black) 1TB 2.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (Storage Drive)

GeForce GTX 980M 4G

I put a SanDisk Extreme SSD in a SATA II laptop, and then transferred it to a SATA III laptop a few years later. I noticed no difference in speed, in all honesty. Reads and writes were still always limited by some other factor; USB drive speeds, HDD speeds, download speeds etc. 

Just go for it, though beware that in future ever using a computer with a HDD as the OS drive will irritate the hell out of you. 

7 minutes ago, steezemageeze said:

I've been thinking about this for a while, and wanted some second opinions. My old laptop has a 160GB Hitatchi HDD in it that is overheating (At the moment, it is sitting at 47C while my CPU is 28C), slow, and at times, sounds terrible. I really want to just stick a 120GB SSD in it, but a few things are holding me back. I'm pretty sure my laptop is outfitted with a SATA II port, so I worry that the speed increase would be negligible, in which case I should probably just go for mass storage and grab a new HDD. Also, I'll be getting a new laptop when I go to college in two years, so I feel that upgrading this POS is a dumb idea. The last thing is that I just got Manjaro to the point where I'm satisfied with it, but I figure I can just clone the old drive and be fine, so that's not really important. What are your thoughts?

EDIT: this probably should've gone in storage solutions, but I wasn't paying attention. I'll let the mods decide

The speed increase is still going to be enormous, even held back by SATA II limits. Also, access time is still going to be just as fast as it is on a SATA III interface, so you'll definitely see an enormous improvement there.

PNY just launched their new value-oriented CS1311 SSD- you can snag a 120GB variant for $39 and a 240GB variant for $59. I hear they perform incredibly well for the price, share specs with much higher-end SSDs, and they've got PNY's manufacturer reputation behind them.

EDIT: the price for the 240GB SSD went up to $79- they seem to be selling out fast. Here's a Best Buy link instead.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/pny-cs1311-240gb-internal-sata-iii-solid-state-drive/4825701.p?id=bb4825701&ref=199&loc=8BacdVP0GFs&acampID=1&siteID=8BacdVP0GFs-f2TOaivQe_UTYIK74M5fXw

7 minutes ago, Matt100HP said:

I put a SanDisk Extreme SSD in a SATA II laptop, and then transferred it to a SATA III laptop a few years later. I noticed no difference in speed, in all honesty. Reads and writes were still always limited by some other factor; USB drive speeds, HDD speeds, download speeds etc. 

Just go for it, though beware that in future ever using a computer with a HDD as the OS drive will irritate the hell out of you. 

Same with my laptop's 240GB OCZ ARC 100, although its bottlenecked by its CPU more than anything.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

14 minutes ago, steezemageeze said:

Keep in mind too. SSD's dont have moving parts. Thats why they are great for any mobile computer. You dont have to worry about read/write heads grinding on your platter. Plus like stated above, you can use this in your next laptop when you decided to upgrade. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Alright, I guess I'm sold. I have two questions though. One, would I have any trouble cloning my 160GB drive to a 120GB drive? Two, would the SSD save power or use more? I feel like it'd save power because nothing is moving, but I don't know. This thing gets two hours max with TLP enabled and 50% brightness. I'd really hate to lose battery life.

A Guide For Getting Started With Linux

My first rig:   CPU: AMD Athlon X4 860k Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper T4 MoBo: Gigabyte GA-F2A88XM-DH3 Video Card: EVGA GTX 750 Ti Superclocked RAM: 8GB Kingston HyperX Fury White 1866MHz Storage: WD Blue 1TB PSU: EVGA 100-W1-0500-KR Case: Rosewill SRM-01