AMD fanboys.

k1ng_alex
1 hour ago, JoePro87 said:

Random side note...I wonder how much I could overclock my 8300...

<<<will admit he doesn't know what he's doing. :)

It depends on what motherboard you have, the cooler, the power supply and the age of the chip, those made well before AMD started binning for the FX 9570 and 9590 can get very close to 5GHz if not higher a lot more than ones made after AMD started binning (fun fact, AMD sold the FX 9590 for $999 originally when you could take a cheap 8320 or 8350 and have it hit or surpass 5GHz).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

On 3/5/2016 at 9:42 AM, Dionyz said:

You can clearly see the difference when playing Vindictus (Free 2 Play). I have 2 computers one of them FX 8350, and the other i7 4790k. The AMD has major hic ups/ studdering. The 4790k is very smooth, and is stable. It's most likely from the hyper threading.

Vindictus will bottleneck any CPU. It's unheard of hosting 8 man raid and getting 60 FPS. It's an old game also, but the best of any MMO's out there, since they all seem to miss the DODGE mechanic. An actual combat game.

You haven't played Planetside 2 then.

Even my 4670k sometimes isn't enough D:

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

18 minutes ago, Nineshadow said:

You haven't played Planetside 2 then.

Even my 4670k sometimes isn't enough D:

Or blade and soul or Tera or GW2 etc etc

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

49 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

It depends on what motherboard you have, the cooler, the power supply and the age of the chip, those made well before AMD started binning for the FX 9570 and 9590 can get very close to 5GHz if not higher a lot more than ones made after AMD started binning (fun fact, AMD sold the FX 9590 for $999 originally when you could take a cheap 8320 or 8350 and have it hit or surpass 5GHz).

I wish I knew how to check how old it is. I bought it last year, as part of a prebuilt rig, if that tells you anything. As far as the mobo and power supply, I have the Asus M5A97, and my PSU is the Corsair RM850i. It is air cooled, though. Stock cooler.

Screenaninator: Sapphire Radeon R9 390 Nitro

Procrastinator: AMD FX-8300

Stickaminator: 16GB Crucial Vengance DDR3

Powermathingy: Corsair RM850i

attachamajiggy: Asus M5A97 R2.0 f

Remembrerthing: 240 GB Crucial SSD, 2TB Toshiba HDD

2 hours ago, JoePro87 said:

I wish I knew how to check how old it is. I bought it last year, as part of a prebuilt rig, if that tells you anything. As far as the mobo and power supply, I have the Asus M5A97, and my PSU is the Corsair RM850i. It is air cooled, though. Stock cooler.

Looking at the base clock speed of the FX 8350 (4GHz, works with the stock cooler if you can handle the noise), if you can adjust it without changing the turbo, set it to 4GHz, other wise just disable turbo then set the multipler to 22 while starting with the voltage at 1.45V and slowly reducing it until its either stable or unstable. TBH while that is far from the worst motherboard you could be using with an FX 83** and in normal circumstances you'd have no problems overclocking, that stock cooler will really be the limiting factor

PMSL

5 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

Looking at the base clock speed of the FX 8350 (4GHz, works with the stock cooler if you can handle the noise), if you can adjust it without changing the turbo, set it to 4GHz, other wise just disable turbo then set the multipler to 22 while starting with the voltage at 1.45V and slowly reducing it until its either stable or unstable. TBH while that is far from the worst motherboard you could be using with an FX 83** and in normal circumstances you'd have no problems overclocking, that stock cooler will really be the limiting factor

Thank you. :)

Screenaninator: Sapphire Radeon R9 390 Nitro

Procrastinator: AMD FX-8300

Stickaminator: 16GB Crucial Vengance DDR3

Powermathingy: Corsair RM850i

attachamajiggy: Asus M5A97 R2.0 f

Remembrerthing: 240 GB Crucial SSD, 2TB Toshiba HDD

14 hours ago, Pohernori said:

Or blade and soul or Tera or GW2 etc etc

GW2 just dies when trying to activate SSAA. That game is heavily CPU dependant in the busier player regions - back with my I7 980 I got a 10 FPS+ increase from the low 20s to 30s between stock speed and max OC.

Linus is my fetish.

6 hours ago, JoePro87 said:

Thank you. :)

Not sure how far the 8300 will go, the 8350 will hit 5ghz but produces more heat than a 9590 does as it needs more voltage than a 9590 does at the same clock speeds. I need 1.6v for 5ghz on my 8350 and mine is a voltage whore.

Spoiler

Chernobyl

AMD FX8350 @ 5GHz | Asus Sabretooth 990FX R2 | 16GB HyperX Savage @1950mhz CL9 | 120GB Kingston SSDNow

EK AMD LTX CSQ | XSPC D5 Dual Bay | Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 240mm & Coolgate Triple HD360

Spoiler

Kraken

Intel i5 4670K Bare Die 4.9GHz | ASUS Maximus VII Ranger Z97 | 16GB HyperX Savage 2400MHz | Samsung EVO 250GB

EK Supremecy EVO & EK-MOSFET M7G  | Dual 360mm Rads | Primochill CTR Phase II w/D5 | MSI GTX970 1670MHz/8000MHz

Graphic Design Student & Overall Nerd

I currently use an AMD 9590FX It is great but needs a insane cooler so I ended up using a custom loop and it uses WAY too much power but it's great :) 

2 minutes ago, XTREMExFTW said:

I currently use an AMD 9590FX It is great but needs a insane cooler so I ended up using a custom loop and it uses WAY too much power but it's great :) 

I can only tame my 5ghz with custom loop, even my motherboard is watercooled because it needed the heat taken away.

Spoiler

Chernobyl

AMD FX8350 @ 5GHz | Asus Sabretooth 990FX R2 | 16GB HyperX Savage @1950mhz CL9 | 120GB Kingston SSDNow

EK AMD LTX CSQ | XSPC D5 Dual Bay | Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 240mm & Coolgate Triple HD360

Spoiler

Kraken

Intel i5 4670K Bare Die 4.9GHz | ASUS Maximus VII Ranger Z97 | 16GB HyperX Savage 2400MHz | Samsung EVO 250GB

EK Supremecy EVO & EK-MOSFET M7G  | Dual 360mm Rads | Primochill CTR Phase II w/D5 | MSI GTX970 1670MHz/8000MHz

Just now, Benji_w said:

I can only tame my 5ghz with custom loop, even my motherboard is watercooled because it needed the heat taken away.

Oh wow xD 

58 minutes ago, Benji_w said:

Not sure how far the 8300 will go, the 8350 will hit 5ghz but produces more heat than a 9590 does as it needs more voltage than a 9590 does at the same clock speeds. I need 1.6v for 5ghz on my 8350 and mine is a voltage whore.

1.6v, that's ridiculous, my FX-9590 runs at 5GHz with 1.35v.

Pixelbook Go i5 Pixel 4 XL 

I'm surprised this hasn't turned into more of a flame war by now. 

*internet awards to all*

But basically IMO there are advantages and disadvantages to either side. There VERY VERY VERY VERY rarely is ever a "Best" product. Partly because "best" is so subjective. 

many people claim that almost any i3 is equivalent to the 8350 for gaming. While this is likely semi accurate many people take this to mean that the i3 is better overall.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-intel-core-i3-6100-review

So while these benchmarks show that the i3 6100 performs better than an FX 6300. In gaming loads. They go onto talk about how it does so well for a duel core. This is because games aren't massively core dependent. Everyone knows this. Take a look at linus's video where he uses many many workloads of multiple programs on a pentium, an i3(i think), an i5, and an i7.

Without the added stress of the other programs the extra cores of the i5/i7 are not utilized which makes them appear to not have a significant advantage over the pentium.

Much of the advantage of more cores is in multi threaded workloads ( no duh). Which games are not (again no duh). Look at something like a Xeon 2699 v3. 18 slower and weaker cores that together perform astoundingly well. 

Basically, for the same reasons that a pentium is a great deal for a gaming build but an i5 or i7 beats it out for workstations is that sometimes its not about speed per core. but about number of cores.

If the i3-6100 had 4x as many cores it would kick the 8350s ass in everything. But they have products like that(plus more cache). Those products are the i5s i7s and such. 

So as it usually does, the answer depends on if you want to be able to game and watch high def video and skype and maybe do some video work. or just gaming. IT DEPENDS ON THE INDIVIDUAL. 

2 hours ago, Citadelen said:

You. Are. So. Damn. Lucky.

PMSL

7 hours ago, Citadelen said:

Stress test please, IBT AVX will soon show you're unstable.

5 hours ago, Dabombinable said:

You. Are. So. Damn. Lucky.

No he isn't stable stock voltage is higher than that.

I'm bored of my 4670k already, my 8350 does what this i5 can do well enough that it doesn't justify the price.

Spoiler

Chernobyl

Spoiler

Kraken

Im currently using an Amd FX 4300 quadcore 3.8Ghz it can handle most things on my pc but my plan is to upgade to an 8 core in the fx series with the ability to OC if i need to. 

1 hour ago, Benji_w said:

No he isn't stable stock voltage is higher than that.

I'm bored of my 4670k already, my 8350 does what this i5 can do well enough that it doesn't justify the price.

1.35V, his FX9590 does 5GHz. I'd say he's lucky. Also, how are the minimum FPS in games treating you?

10 minutes ago, Turbofreak88884444 said:

Im currently using an Amd FX 4300 quadcore 3.8Ghz it can handle most things on my pc but my plan is to upgade to an 8 core in the fx series with the ability to OC if i need to. 

That would actually be a good upgrade since the FX 4*** series is to be blunt, rubbish. It depends on what the rest of your computer is though as to whether or not you'll have a small overclock, or a large one.

PMSL

1 minute ago, Dabombinable said:

1.35V, his FX9590 does 5GHz. I'd say he's lucky. Also, how are the minimum FPS in games treating you?

That would actually be a good upgrade since the FX 4*** series is to be blunt, rubbish. It depends on what the rest of your computer is though as to whether or not you'll have a small overclock, or a large one.

im using a gt 610 so i can't overlclock at all

7 minutes ago, Turbofreak88884444 said:

im using a gt 610 so i can't overlclock at all

With that graphics card, you might see a small boost in games with the CPU upgrade, but either way it sounds like your computer needs a fair bit upgraded.

PMSL

5 hours ago, Benji_w said:

It doesn't crash for what I use it for, so I see no need to change it.

Pixelbook Go i5 Pixel 4 XL 

3 minutes ago, Citadelen said:

Filling your hard drives with corrupt data isn't something I'd do but then again I use mine for benching and graphic design work so stability is something I actually require.

If you're happy chancing it then you do you, I on the other hand can't be arsed with all the headaches and frustration of losing another OS/files/work to pig ignorance.

Spoiler

Chernobyl

Spoiler

Kraken

3 hours ago, Dabombinable said:

Perfectly fine Dab, so much so that I'm not impressed by this i5 at all, it offers me nothing more than what my 8350 can do but then again that's the difference between me and you, I know what I'm doing.

Spoiler

Chernobyl

Spoiler

Kraken

13 minutes ago, Citadelen said:

I feel sorry for your poor computer for having such an uncaring owner.

'My dog doesn't die if I don't feed it for a week, so I see no need to give it any food for a few days'.

Linus is my fetish.

5 minutes ago, Benji_w said:

Perfectly fine Dab, so much so that I'm not impressed by this i5 at all, it offers me nothing more than what my 8350 can do but then again that's the difference between me and you, I know what I'm doing.

Your FX8350 isn't an i5. And your obviously doing something wrong because you should easily be running that i5 4670K that you supposedly have at 4.8GHz, and watching as your 5GHz FX8350 shows that it isn't that much faster multi threaded with the i5 at 4.8GHz, and slower single threaded than if your i5 4670K was at 3.3GHz.

PMSL

1 minute ago, Bhav said:

I feel sorry for your poor computer for having such an uncaring owner.

'My dog doesn't die if I don't feed it for a week, so I see no need to give it any food for a few days'.

Its only a suicide clocked FX 8350, they are cheap to replace as far as CPU go.

PMSL