AMD fanboys.

k1ng_alex
30 minutes ago, 2001jaden said:

don't take this away from me

i cleared it with flying colors using a FX 8320.... sure i score 1000 points lower then my i7 4790k... but FX 8320 at 4.62GHz vs 4790k at 4GHz/4.3Ghz turbo.... still 1000 points lower aint bad

Best of both worlds. 20 cores of computing goodness, for my own everyday personal use.  

Its a bit of an odd setup admittedly, which I cobbled together on a tight budget, but it has done amazingly well.

... and I think Ive spent around  $500 on motherboard +CPU + RAM + graphics card in total.  I have all the CPU grunt and bandwidth that I am likely to need for some time. Given the total cost, and the years of use I have got out of it so far, the whole setup has paid for itself (literally) several Hundred times over. Cant complain.

On top of that, I have spent way more on the important bits .... desk setup, portable air-cond, audioengine speaker set, several great keyboards, sweet mice ... and of course disks, but that is all separate, and nothing to do with AMD Fanboism.  

At the heart of my system :

AMD FX-4170  (Zambezi) @4.3 GHz   ... still a very kickass CPU, that can pump out very impressive numbers

970 motherboard, 8GB Ram @1866,  Gtx-620 graphics card   ! woot !

total cost around  $250

This is my main development box, its way fast enough, and has never missed a beat. 

Recently upgraded the cooler to a 212X,   Most of the time when Im flat out working, CPU temps report anything from 12-25 deg C, so heat is a non-issue. Mind you, I have a portable refridged air-cond unit that supplies air to where the boxes sit, so that always helps too.

Sitting next to it, humming away quietly, and always doing something useful  :

Dual Opteron setup.  2 x socket-F motherboard, each socket with a 6-core opteron running @2 GHz, and 16GB slowish DDR2 ECC memory.

Grabbed this from a factory refurb place in Germany, for  $250, which included the CPUs, coolers, and the RAM.  Bargain !!!!

They still have plenty more for sale on the 'bay last I looked, Tempted to get some more, because they are genuinely awesome.  

There is simply no substitute for having Dual CPUs in a rig when it comes to style ...... its like having on old V-12 motor with 6 banks of weber carbs.

Pointless, but still beautiful !

This machine is used primarily as a "Digital Asset Management Server" - the ECC RAM is good for that. Running BSD on this, with ZFS filesystem, so that gives me "enterprise level" data protection and endless storage / redundancy.  Data is made of blood, sweat and tears ...  so you gotta look after it. 

Sitting in a data center in Japan  :

Xeon E5   (4 cores / 8 threads)

Not sure what the equiv CPU clock is, but its stupid fast, whatever it is. Its a VM anyway, so the numbers can be rubbery.

This is a production server for a few dozen projects, sitting in a managed data centre in Tokyo (linode FTW !)  

Full root access via ssh, it is indistinguishable from having an extra machine under my desk.

The connection bandwidth on this machine to the rest of the world is just ridiculous.  The Japanese are totally ahead of us in terms of infrastructure.

It would be prohibitively expensive here in Australia to get Japanese style speeds to either the USA or Europe, so that is not even worth thinking about.

Cost = $20 a month, which is probably about the same as the extra power cost if I tried to add a rackmount server in my studio here. Its a no brainer purchase.

Come to think of it, that rental cost is passed on to others anyway, so its basically a  free machine. Very useful, and very free, and always on.

I still have my Phenom II x6 1090T sitting inside a box somewhere. Processor was a destroyer in its day. 

3 hours ago, ln2_cooled_heart said:

I still have my Phenom II x6 1090T sitting inside a box somewhere. Processor was a destroyer in its day. 

I had a lot of fun with my 940 black edition. Overclocked like a beast.

4 hours ago, ln2_cooled_heart said:

I'd love having one, mostly because it is about as fast multithreaded as an i5 2500K-my Xeon X5450 is only fast as an i5 4440 single and multithreaded at 4.4GHz and I'd be able to build a rig that looks better as well since I've still got some good stuff lying around from a few AM2 and early days (2006-2007) LGA775 machines that I stripped and sold parts off.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL