Why Do People Prefer Mac For Music /DJ'ing

stan92

I made the guitar on the very right and the one thats hard to see beside the keyboard. Not the best guitars in the world but making them was soooooo much fun.  I want to make more but time does not permit.

studio2.jpg

That one on the right looks so nice man. you play? 

I'm trying to off my Japanese 72' reissue strat right now, really looking to buy another Taylor haha. I bought a Taylor 414 back in November of last year, I ended up selling my D-18 afterwards. Before that Taylor the only acoustics I played were Martins, not the case anymore :) I could talk about instruments all day 

That one on the right looks so nice man. you play? 

I'm trying to off my Japanese 72' reissue strat right now, really looking to buy another Taylor haha. I bought a Taylor 414 back in November of last year, I ended up selling my D-18 afterwards. Before that Taylor the only acoustics I played were Martins, not the case anymore :) I could talk about instruments all day 

I mess about, I do all this stuff for fun and for meditation.  I have arthritis in my fingers and if I stop playing I will lose the ability to use my hands for a lot of fine motor skills stuff.  I am nowhere near proffesional but I love recording and stage production.  The white jackson in the middle is a copy made by a company called Onyx.  Most of my gear is entry level (behringer/alto) and my accoustics are all nylon stringed yamaha jobs. Great for classic and folk.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I mess about, I do all this stuff for fun and for meditation.  I have arthritis in my fingers and if I stop playing I will lose the ability to use my hands for a lot of fine motor skills stuff.  I am nowhere near proffesional but I love recording and stage production.  The white jackson in the middle is a copy made by a company called Onyx.  Most of my gear is entry level (behringer/alto) and my accoustics are all nylon stringed yamaha jobs. Great for classic and folk.

I've picked up a few Yamaha red label acoustics from pawn shops over the years really cheap and they were great. Wish I kept one of them. I bought some off brand classical guitar from a pawnshop once for $30 and it played great. Moral of the story pawn shops are awesome 

Because they are stupid. Thats why. If you want the best audio you would have to go with PC and get a really good sound card.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

Because they are stupid. Thats why. If you want the best audio you would have to go with PC and get a really good sound card.

If you wanted the best audio you wouldn't have a computer part of the equation at all.

If you wanted the best audio you wouldn't have a computer part of the equation at all.

Probably. But if you want to play games and store all your music without having hundreds of CD's then you would need a PC.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

Probably. But if you want to play games and store all your music without having hundreds of CD's then you would need a PC.

And if you wanted the best audio in that situation, you'd still get an external solution that connected via USB or S/PDIF instead of a soundcard.  :rolleyes:

And if you wanted the best audio in that situation, you'd still get an external solution that connected via USB or S/PDIF instead of a soundcard.  

I though they where the same it's just that a sound card is internal and the USB hub things are external to the case. Unless you have a sound system but I don't really know how to connect one of those to a PC. Even then I would still use a sound card as the audio would need to be generated on the PC and then sent to speakers. Having audio generated on a USB solution is stupid unless you are transferring generated audio to speakers. I am not too knowledgeable about this kind of thing though.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

Yes it is true that alot of DJs use Macs. . .  I have good experience with dance music, believe me.

There was a common assumption that Mac's are more stable, and don't crash (if u're laptop crashes during a live performance it's gonna look bad) . . . To be fair this was like back pre 2006 when Laptop DJing was even considered, it's become huge now in 2013 because people are now getting over the fact that "only pure djs beatmatch" and have opened up to the creativity of software. And back then Windows Laptop's were mostly them crappy Acer things with like not even a gig of RAM.

The only software which requires an IOS is Logic (that I'm aware of) Traktor, Ableton, Serato works on both windows and Macs.

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 | Cooler: Stock | RAM: 16GB Hyper Fury X RGB | GPU: RTX 2080 Super FTW3 | Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus Elite| PSU: Corsair RM850x
Storage: WD SN750 500GB / 850 500GB Samsung Evo /  | CASE: 570X | Display: Dell u2414h  | KEYBOARD: Corsair K70 | MOUSE: Corsair M65

I though they where the same it's just that a sound card is internal and the USB hub things are external to the case. Unless you have a sound system but I don't really know how to connect one of those to a PC. Even then I would still use a sound card as the audio would need to be generated on the PC and then sent to speakers. Having audio generated on a USB solution is stupid unless you are transferring generated audio to speakers. I am not too knowledgeable about this kind of thing though.

There's a much greater chance of interference happening to an internal soundcard than any external device, but otherwise they are theoretically the same. In reality, however, drivers for soundcards always suck, you're paying a premium for the form factor to no real reason, and the amp chips they use have too high of an output impedance for the majority of headphones and every headset on the market.

Having audio generated on a USB solution has many benefits, and is definitely not stupid.

They use audio interfaces like this

NI-TRAKTOR-AUDIO10_right_shadow.jpg

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 | Cooler: Stock | RAM: 16GB Hyper Fury X RGB | GPU: RTX 2080 Super FTW3 | Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus Elite| PSU: Corsair RM850x
Storage: WD SN750 500GB / 850 500GB Samsung Evo /  | CASE: 570X | Display: Dell u2414h  | KEYBOARD: Corsair K70 | MOUSE: Corsair M65

@mr moose are you saying they are using mac software on windows computers?

No, Pro tools, Steinberg, Cubase, FL studio Acid pro, Cakewalk etc were all written for windows and ported to mac later on. 

There are a few Mac specific

Logic audio and digital performaer are mac only.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

A lot of music colleges provide Macs, also Logic Pro X is only $200 and it can pretty much handle anything from recording a regular band to making a full fledged electronic song. Oh and DJs like to make there songs in Logic and then play live with Abelton because of how good Logic's synths are. 

Corsair 350d, Intel 3570k @ 4.2 ghz, H100i, Caviar blue 500gb, Caviar Blue 1TB, Samsung EVO 850 Pro 256GB, EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 ACX 3.0, Corsair Vengeance 8gb,AX760i

2013 Macbook Pro 15-inch 

The notion that most production software is only available for OS X is complete and utter bull.

I assume most artists use OS X because the audio hardware in Macbooks is likely more solid than what you'd find in any other notebook (artists on tour write tons of stuff on the go, so they can't always have their fancy external audio solutions).  Apple has always been good about implementing decent audio solutions.

I've also heard that OS X can handle MIDI devices and such things better than Windows can at the driver level, though I'm unsure how true this is.

A guy who went to school with me for a year is a big time artist now (http://soundcloud.com/popeska) and he switched from his old Thinkpad to a Macbook a little while ago.  Apparently he hates its guts and wants to go back to PC.  So I suppose it's all up to personal preference.

Intel Core i7-7700K | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW | ASUS ROG Strix Z270G Gaming | 32GB G-Skill TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200 | Corsair AX860i

Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 3 Samsung 950 Pro 256GB | Samsung 850 Evo 1TB | EKWB Custom Loop | Noctua NF-F12(x4)/NF-A14 LTT Special Edition

Dell S2716DGR | Corsair K95 RGB Platinum (Cherry MX Brown) | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | FiiO E17 DAC/Amp | Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro

I've also heard that OS X can handle MIDI devices and such things better than Windows can at the driver level, though I'm unsure how true this is.

Thats interesting,

I haven't heard that, but I am going to go out on a limb and say it's rubbish.  I just can't see how an interface like midi (which is one of the lowest bitrate and simplest interfaces known to man kind) could be descibed as being better on osx than win or even linux for that matter.  Being a transfer protocol developed in '81, If windows hadn't had it sorted by now pro studios would not be using win based systems.

I also have a feeling that the aesthetics of a Mac and its software play a heavy role too... This makes sense to me because most artists/musicians like myself are very right brained and are constantly judging how things look all the time, even if we are doing it subconsciously. This could also be the reason why I spent extra money on my build to look very clean. (BTW I am running a dual booting Hackintosh and I also have a Macbook Pro, so my biases are not very strong towards any platform).

Corsair 350d, Intel 3570k @ 4.2 ghz, H100i, Caviar blue 500gb, Caviar Blue 1TB, Samsung EVO 850 Pro 256GB, EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 ACX 3.0, Corsair Vengeance 8gb,AX760i

2013 Macbook Pro 15-inch 

I also have a feeling that the aesthetics of a Mac and its software play a heavy role too... This makes sense to me because most artists/musicians like myself are very right brained and are constantly judging how things look all the time, even if we are doing it subconsciously. This could also be the reason why I spent extra money on my build to look very clean. (BTW I am running a dual booting Hackintosh and I also have a Macbook Pro, so my biases are not very strong towards any platform).

True, I really like the sleekness and beauty of macs but I wouldn't really want to buy one, I could just build a sleek and faster PC and dual boot windows and OSX

True, I really like the sleekness and beauty of macs but I wouldn't really want to buy one, I could just build a sleek and faster PC and dual boot windows and OSX

Yeah exactly. It's just that a lot of people don't even know that one can do that,

2013 Macbook Pro 15-inch