Why Do People Prefer Mac For Music /DJ'ing

stan92

Why Do People Prefer Mac Laptops etc For Music /DJ'ing?

Because its more "Professional"

I have seen DJ's with viaos and other PCs but its less popular.

Main Rig: -FX8150 -32gb Kingston HyperX BLUE -120gb Kingston HyperX SSD -1TB WD Black -ASUS R9 270 DCUII OC -Corsair 300r -Full specs on Profile

Other Devices: -One Plus One 64gb Sandstone Black -Canon T5 -Moto G -Pebble Smartwatch -Nintendo 2DS -G27 Racing Wheel

#PlugYourStuff - 720penis - 1080penis - #KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #HashtagsAreALifestyle - CAR BOUGHT: 2010 Corolla

@megadarkwood how is it more "professional"? is it the cost? also how does ur hp laptop have 2 gpus?

Because they are stupid and go with the other iSheep. 

@megadarkwood how is it more "professional"? is it the cost? also how does ur hp laptop have 2 gpus?

No its just that a lot of the programs and tools are on Macs..

And my laptop actually has 3 if you count in the APUs GPU. But other than that its a dual GPU card.

Main Rig: -FX8150 -32gb Kingston HyperX BLUE -120gb Kingston HyperX SSD -1TB WD Black -ASUS R9 270 DCUII OC -Corsair 300r -Full specs on Profile

Other Devices: -One Plus One 64gb Sandstone Black -Canon T5 -Moto G -Pebble Smartwatch -Nintendo 2DS -G27 Racing Wheel

#PlugYourStuff - 720penis - 1080penis - #KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #HashtagsAreALifestyle - CAR BOUGHT: 2010 Corolla

@megadarkwood

1. do you mean they come preinstalled with some programs / tools?

2. or some programs and tools only work on mac OS?

GPU Stuff:
3. why have i never heard of this?
4. why do they put dual gpus?
5. wouldnt it be cheaper to put one beasty gpu in there...

Extra:
6. also please send me link to ur laptop specs plz

@megadarkwood what the... i never heard of this? why havent I? and why do they put dual gpus? wouldnt it be cheaper to put one beasty gpu in there... also please send me link to ur laptop specs plz

The 8700m is a dual GPU component. If I can find it I will give it to you.

@megadarkwood sorry i edited it as you replied:

GPU Stuff:

Extra:

Why do you always capitalize random letters? ugh, it makes my eyes hurt.

@megadarkwood

GPU Stuff:

Extra:

1. No, most DJ tools are only compatible with Mac

2. Yes

3. Because its not a popular solution

4. Moorrreee POWAH!

5. The 8700m is the top mobile GPU from AMD!

b44.png

http://www8.hp.com/ca/en/products/laptops/product-detail.html?oid=5400033#!tab=specs

The 8650G is the APU and the 8700m is the dedicated.

thanks all

@megadarkwood what fps do you get in some common games and what presets and resolution are you playing at?

They don't.  I don't know where this perception comes from. Macs aren't necessarily good or bad, just prefered by some people. Maybe it is a DJ thing?

Of the top 5 recording software packages for studios 80% are not mac/win specific. Which means they are run on whatever platform the manager has installed.

Of the 6 top looping programs, 4 are PC specific 2 are non OS specific and 1 (gartage band) is mac specific.

http://www.music-software-reviews.com/music_recording_software.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recording_studio

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Coming from one of the biggest DJ Forums on the web as well as working in the industry, it's reliability & features though that's more so for audio recording. A huge majority of DJ's that I talk to do not use a windows laptop or if they do, it never is connected to the Internet and is used solely for DJing. From random popups and alerts about software updates to random crashes, DJ's feel more comfortable working with OSX because it tends not to have these issues as much.

As for the features, most windows laptops lacked FireWire - a superior connection to USB for the audio world. That's why you'll see the majority of recording engineers use OSX laptops because of the FireWire connectivity.

As for the features, most windows laptops lacked FireWire - a superior connection to USB for the audio world. That's why you'll see the majority of recording engineers use OSX laptops because of the FireWire connectivity.

Seen anything use USB3 yet?

"Pardon my French but this is just about the most ignorant blanket statement I've ever read. And though this is the internet, I'm not even exaggerating."

They don't.  I don't know where this perception comes from. Macs aren't necessarily good or bad, just prefered by some people. Maybe it is a DJ thing?

Of the top 5 recording software packages for studios 80% are not mac/win specific. Which means they are run on whatever platform the manager has installed.

Of the 6 top looping programs, 4 are PC specific 2 are non OS specific and 1 (gartage band) is mac specific.

http://www.music-software-reviews.com/music_recording_software.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recording_studio

I think people have this misconception about all professionals using Macs haha. Whether it be Video editing, Graphic Design, DJing, Mixing, etc. 

I don't DJ or mix music, but I would take a PC over a Mac, though I really like how OSX looks :)

Not all studios use Macs, I've only been in 2 different studios before. Neither of them using Mac.

It has to be a software preference. Certainly isn't hardware... ;):P:D

I think people have this misconception about all professionals using Macs haha. Whether it be Video editing, Graphic Design, DJing, Mixing, etc. 

I don't DJ or mix music, but I would take a PC over a Mac, though I really like how OSX looks :)

Not all studios use Macs, I've only been in 2 different studios before. Neither of them using Mac.

I watch a fair few documentaries on bands like Iron maiden, def lepard, Mettalica etc. I spend as much time watching the background and notice quite a few of those guys use pro tools on generic computers.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I watch a fair few documentaries on bands like Iron maiden, def lepard, Mettalica etc. I spend as much time watching the background and notice quite a few of those guys use pro tools on generic computers.

Yep most of aren't using extremely high end computers, my Dad's friends with a folk band in my area, and they know I'm into music and stuff so when they go into the studio they let come  sit in and watch. It's pretty cool, kind of want to pursue a career as an audio engineer, though I got a lot to learn. :)

Seen anything use USB3 yet?

Nope

Yep most of aren't using extremely high end computers, my Dad's friends with a folk band in my area, and they know I'm into music and stuff so when they go into the studio they let come  sit in and watch. It's pretty cool, kind of want to pursue a career as an audio engineer, though I got a lot to learn. :)

Yep, me too, I wanted to do the whole production/engineering thing. I got a couple of live shows and few recording bits and pieces but there was no way I was going to find enough work in the field. Especially here in Aus, It is almost as hard to get a good job/name engineering as it is to become successful as an artist.

Yep, me too, I wanted to do the whole production/engineering thing. I got a couple of live shows and few recording bits and pieces but there was no way I was going to find enough work in the field. Especially here in Aus, It is almost as hard to get a good job/name engineering as it is to become successful as an artist.

To my knowledge there's a good amount of work here in the States, but I don't want a career where I'm constantly looking for work, you know what I mean? Also I don't want to be mixing or producing any horrible music I don't like :/. Might go into something with electrical engineering, I would love to build guitars that would be my dream job especially if they are Taylors :) 

I work at a music store right now, but there are so many idiot people that come in and plug in $2000 guitars and can only play 3 chords...I'm currently looking for a new store to work at 

To my knowledge there's a good amount of work here in the States, but I don't want a career where I'm constantly looking for work, you know what I mean? Also I don't want to be mixing or producing any horrible music I don't like :/. Might go into something with electrical engineering, I would love to build guitars that would be my dream job especially if they are Taylors :)

I work at a music store right now, but there are so many idiot people that come in and plug in $2000 guitars and can only play 3 chords...I'm currently looking for a new store to work at 

I made the guitar on the very right and the one thats hard to see beside the keyboard. Not the best guitars in the world but making them was soooooo much fun.  I want to make more but time does not permit.

studio2.jpg