halp plz my internet is so god damn slow i can barely download anything

hey guys can one of you geniuses help out, Im in Australia and my internet is so god damn bad 

ex: down=max 750kb/s

up= max 50kb/s 

were using adsl2+ and running on telstra (the fastest network provider for my area) 

our router that we are using is the one that telstra gave us, and our house is quite large for a normal house, we are in a very dense urban area and everyones running on a 2.4ghz channel literally everyone.

what should i invest money in a better router, or is there another problem going on, please help

regards hamish,

First plug your computer directly to the router via an ethernet cable and test your speed, in order to see were the bottleneck is.

see if you can get a better ADSL cum Wireless Router like Asus or DLink

most of the router should support the 5GHz bandwidth

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

stop using wifi and buy an ethernet cable

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

5 minutes ago, jnvqc said:

First plug your computer directly to the router via an ethernet cable and test your speed, in order to see were the bottleneck is.

its around the same but more stable 

Just now, Enderman said:

stop using wifi and buy an ethernet cable

ethernet is same speeds but more stable 

2 minutes ago, hamishdgx said:

ok well are you paying for higher speeds?

do you get the same speeds when nobody else is using the internet?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Well, if you are running speed at what you paid for, then i can only say upgrade it.

Main Gaming and Streaming PC: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Vinsinity/saved/TjwVnQ

Ultrabook and College Laptop:

Spoiler

XPS 13 9350:

i5-6200U

8GB RAM

Samsung PM951 250GB M.2 Solid State Drive

Workstation Laptop:

Spoiler

Sager NP8672 (P670SG):

i7-4720HQ

32GB (4 x 8GB) CORSAIR Vengeance Performance

Samsung 850 EVO 250GB M.2 Solid State Drive (Boot Drive)

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 Solid State Drive (Video Drive)

Crucial MX100 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Secondary SDD Storage)

Western Digital (Blue or Black) 1TB 2.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (Storage Drive)

GeForce GTX 980M 4G

1 minute ago, hamishdgx said:

buy / build a better router

check your QoS settings and make sure it isn't reserving bandwidth for certain services (VoIP, TV, etc...)

are other people using the network when you have these issues or are they persistent regardless?

What is your average packet loss running "ping 8.8.8.8" for the command line?

What speed does your ISP say you should be getting?

Ultimate XP gaming system build log coming soon!  Q8200 // 8GB DDR2 // Asus P5E Deluxe X48 // Asus 4870 DARK KNIGHT X-Fire // Supreme FX sound // BFG Ageia PhysX PCI Co-Processor // AX 860x with Silverstone extensions 

Just now, Enderman said:

ok well are you paying for higher speeds?

do you get the same speeds when nobody else is using the internet?

yes 

18 minutes ago, hamishdgx said:

yes 

so when nobody is using the router you get higher speeds?

thats normal

bandwidth is shared

of course your speeds are going top be slower when others are using it too

if not, and you still get slower speeds when nobody is on, then thats a problem that your ISP needs to take care of

call them and ask them to fix their stuff

Spoiler