I Think I broke my graphics card when trying to install an SSD...

Enigma1011

Okay guys so I did a bit of a dumb-ass thing accidentally so here's the story:

Friend bought me an SSD and I installed it and moved a few game files over too it then left the computer alone till the next day ( had some files downloading then it was scheduled to turn off (afterwards). We had a thunderstorm over my city that night too.

The following day I turn on my PC and see the screen tearing constantly and overall signs of my GPU dying. This couldn't be possible as my entire rig is only about 10 months old. After about an hour of trial and error I realized that my problems started happening after I installed my SSD. So after I unplugged it I realized my PSU couldn't handle the SSD power needs. 

Buuuuut I had realized this SSD issue too late as I was taking out my GPU out and I had broken a little plastic holder that keeps my R9 280 in place in the mobo SLI slot. I can't even place it in the other SLI slot since the card is far too big. So currently my case is on the side and the GPU is working without error (if i put it upright though it starts wigging out and screen tears) until I start playing games, then it will blank screen me after a few moments.

So guys does it sound like a dying GPU or have I simply screwed the MOBO and need to replace that?

TL;DR OP broke a little piece of plastic in the SLI slot of his MOBA and now the GPU is acting up

For reference my moba is an ASROCK extreme 3 and the GPU is a R9 280OC Gigabyte Windforce

I'd try to take the whole rig out of the case so that you can place your gpu in the other pcie slot, which should help you figure out what is wrong.

Core i5 6600k | Gigabyte GTX 970 Windforce | MSI Z170 Krait Gaming Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB DDR4 2400 | NZXT S340 Red                                              EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 | Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo | Razer Blackwidow Tournament | Logitech G600 Razer Kraken USB                                                                                                            If you want me to see your post, please remember to quote me!

You could try taking the whole computer apart and then try to find a way to secure the gpu in place. Maybe zip ties but that's cheap. 

System 1:

CPU: FX - 8320E | MOBO: MSI 970 Gaming | RAM: Patriot Viper 16GB 1866MHz | 

GPU: Radeon RX480 8GB | Storage: Sandisk Ultra II 480GB SSD | PSU: Corsair CX750 |

Cooler: Enermax ETS - N30 II

System 2:

CPU: A4 - 7300| MOBO: MSI A68HM Grenade | RAM: Patriot 4GB 1600MHz | 

GPU: Integrated Motherboard Graphics | Storage: Seagate 500GB Desktop | PSU: Thermaltake TR2 600W |

Cooler: Enermax ETS - N31

cheers for helping me out here guys, all points looking at the mobo. 

What's odd is how it runs normally when on its side, but when a graphically intensive program (aka, any game whatsoever) it begins to wig out, is that due to it not sitting right or?

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, after a week of trial and error. I had swapped out my old mobo and bought a new one but still no luck. Turns out the GPU just simply had a voltage problem and died on me.