Steam storage: small SSD or large hdd

Gdourado

Hello, 

I am wondering what is your preference. 

If building a small form factor gaming pc where space is limited, would you prefer to have a "large" 512gb ssd for both system and games but running the trouble of having to much more frequent installs and uninstalls but have greater speed, or have a small m.2 128gb ssd for system and a large 3tb 7200 rpm drive for your game library? 

What is the best option? 

Cheers 

If you have a large library and you frequently play many games to the point where you would need to be constantly instaling/uninstalling stuff, then definitely the 128gb M.2 ssd + HDD. But for me personally, I tend to play a few games consistently and then play through other games one at a time, so 500gb~ would be sufficient for me. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

I'd do just go for the m.2 ssd and the hard drive just because not all games have the longest load times. 

Depends on the internet connection. If the internet connection is really fast and it doesn't take too long to download/install a new game the I would go with the single SSD. If it take a long time (e.g. more than a couple hours) to download a modern game, then I would go with the HDD so that you can just install a bunch of games.

Idealy, if you have a mobo with an m.2 slot, put something like a 128GB m.2 drive in for the OS and then put the 512 GB SSD in for game storage. Then you kinda have the best of both worlds.

END OF LINE

-- Project Deep Freeze Build Log --

Quote me so that I always know when you reply, feel free to snip if the quote is long. May your FPS be high and your temperatures low.

I've used a HDD for a while now and usually have my games installed just to have them installed. I would probably choose the m.2. 

Realistically, I'd advise a 2TB HDD. 

Personally, I have a 500GB SSD and a 1TB HDD. I shove games that I load up every once in a while onto the HDD, and games I play frequently (daily, if not every other day) onto the SSD. I digress, though, because the load times are very similar, even in the old HDD-only computer I use as a steam machine.

Eien nante naito iikitte shimattar  /  Amarinimo sabishikute setsunai deshou
Dare mo ga hontou wa shinjitai kedo  /  Uragirarere ba fukaku kizu tsuite shimau mono

M.2 for OS then 2 x 2 and half inch 7200rpm hdd in raid 0 for games.

----Ryzen R9 5900X----X570 Aorus elite----Vetroo V5----240GB Kingston HyperX 3k----Samsung 250GB EVO840----512GB Kingston Nvme----3TB Seagate----4TB Western Digital Green----8TB Seagate----32GB Patriot Viper 4 3200Mhz CL 16 ----Power Color Red dragon 5700XT----Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl ----Corsair RM850w----

I have a few of my favorite games on my 250gb SSD and i have a second library in an HDD for all of the games I barely play or that an SSD really wont impact much in performance.

18 hours ago, Gdourado said:

What is the best option?

I would definitely go for the M.2 SSD+HDD. However, I would spring for a 240GB/256GB M.2 SSD if you can spare.

I have a 256GB SSD and a 3TB hard drive. I have enough space on my SSD for all my main programs, MS Office, adobe suite, and a very decent amount of games. Usually after installing Windows and all the programs I use, I have about 150GB left. Which might seem like a lot of space, but if you put your most played games on it OR a couple of the recent AAA games(most 50GB-60GB in size each) that have come out then that 150GB is gone instantly. I also like a little buffer zone, about 30GB-40GB of free space on my SSD just in case I need to move files or something. Everything else can go on the 3TB. I like to have the games I'm playing through once installed on the SSD until I beat it, just feels better with shorter load times and the game will be deleted later anyway.

Obviously this is really dependent on how big your Steam Library is. I have almost 600 games, obviously I don't play them all at the same time, but there are games that I *need* to have installed on my PC at all times, but only a few really benefit from a SSD. Recently Fallout 4 has noticeably faster loading saves on SSD's(obviously), and it's only ~30GB. If you had a 128GB SSD, after formating and installing Windows you'd have about 100GB of space left, then Fallout 4 would bring that down to ~70GB.

So if you don't have a lot of games or any games that benefit from being on a SSD, then just get a 128GB M.2 SSD, but if you do have a few games then you might want to consider a 256GB M.2 SSD.

Either way, I'd definitely do a M.2+HDD setup.