[update2][false alarm]Far Cry: Primal is a return to form for Ubisoft: Possibly a crap port, Users report DRM issues

Misanthrope

So you might start seeing the first Farcry: Primal videos and reviews this morning one day after the official release but according to TB the performance it's utter crap: 

Now in all fairness it is gonna be patched day 1 and Nvidia will probably have a driver out anywhere between today and tomorrow, however the fact that the game could very well be in a state where Titans can't run 60fps solid at 1080p seems to me like Ubisoft is keen to retake their recent tradition of abyssal game ports.

What do you guys think? I personally was interested in the concept since it seems like Farcry meets Skyrim and such but after this I'm waiting for in depth testing at least and likely a significant price discount before I touch this with my CC

UPDATE: Apparently TB was too quick to denounce and had a very early build, performance seems fine:

http://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/gpu_displays/far_cry_primal_pc_performance_review/1

UPDATE 2: A lot of users are reporting issues with DRM, not steam's but Ubi's DRM just not working out, rough launch it seems perhaps their servers are not ready or they didn't test properly:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/371660/

This post suggests workaround which blame it on the Firewall but some users still report this still doesn't solves the issues:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/371660/discussions/0/405692758724956643/

-------

Current Rig

-------

i'm in the open world fatigue group, so won't even bother looking at it

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

Well... When was the last time I've read about "a great PC port"? Fallout 4, Hitman Absolution, ROTTR also has its issues...

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

I don't expect any game to run perfectly the first day it comes out, so I'm not surprised.

My question is, is the game any fun?

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

1 minute ago, Morgan MLGman said:

Well... When was the last time I've read about "a great PC port"? Fallout 4, Hitman Absolution, ROTTR also has its issues...

Hm, going back a bit I would say GTA V was the last one that wasn't totally fucked up, at least the last one that comes to my mind.

7 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

Now in all fairness it is gonna be patched day 1 and Nvidia will probably have a driver out anywhere between today and tomorrow, however the fact that the game could very well be in a state where Titans can't run 60fps solid at 1080p seems to me like Ubisoft is keen to retake their recent tradition of abyssal game ports.

I honestly think that Nvidia will jump back in as always and release a driver that fixes the worst performance problems. Sucks balls tough. :/

Just now, cynexit said:

Hm, going back a bit I would say GTA V was the last one that wasn't totally fucked up, at least the last one that comes to my mind.

I honestly think that Nvidia will jump back in as always and release a driver that fixes the worst performance problems. Sucks balls tough. :/

Well. Now while that might be true, consider how long did it take for GTA V to release on PC compared to when it released initially for consoles. I'd rather have a shitty port that's going to be fixed over time than to wait that long ;-;

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

Return to form?  Everything I've read just says it's more of the same old tired thing they have been doing.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

Well I was going to buy it but when I went to jump on Far Cry 4 to get hyped for it and it didn't work. No Farcry Primal for me.

See my Build here!

Intel 6700k -  Strix GTX 1080Ti - Corsair AX760 - Corsair Dominator 16GB 3000MHz - ASUS Maximus VIII Hero

Seagate Barracuda 1TB -  Samsung 120GB 840 - Samsung 840 EVO 250GB - Corsair H100i - Corsair Air 540 White -

Corsair AF120 - 2x Noctua NF-F12 - 3 x Noctua NF-S12

Dell S2417DG - Dell UH2515H 

OP is a liar 980 ti can run Far cry primal at above 60 fps with nvidia beta drivers, the reason it runs like shit on 770m is because it has the power of a console.

proof : http://www.pcgameshardware.de/Far-Cry-Primal-Spiel-56176/Specials/Benchmark-Test-1187476/#a5

hell you can change the settings a bit to get stable 60 1440p

fx-8350 @4,4Ghz/sapphire r9 fury/2x 8gb Kingstone ddr3 @2030Mhz

9 minutes ago, dimitriianghelov said:

OP is a liar 980 ti can run Far cry primal at above 60 fps with nvidia beta drivers, the reason it runs like shit on 770m is because it has the power of a console.

proof : http://www.pcgameshardware.de/Far-Cry-Primal-Spiel-56176/Specials/Benchmark-Test-1187476/#a5

"Beta" drivers being the operative phrase there.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

14 minutes ago, dimitriianghelov said:

Watch the video before you brand the OP as a liar.

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro | PSU: Enermax Revolution87+ 850W | Motherboard: MSI Z97 MPOWER MAX AC | GPU 1: MSI R9 290X Lightning | CPU: Intel Core i7 4790k | SSD: Samsung SM951 128GB M.2 | HDDs: 2x 3TB WD Black (RAID1) | CPU Cooler: Silverstone Heligon HE01 | RAM: 4 x 4GB Team Group 1600Mhz

I don't get how Ubisoft do it, it's just a reskin of FC4 but they still manage to bork up the performance.

Ubisoft digs once again! And lied, again.

Didn't they say the would take PC gamers serious again? 

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

Ubisoft normally relies on a feedback loop...
-Release the game

-Nvidia's customer's complain to Nvidia

-AMD's customer's complain to AMD

-AMD and Nvidia tell Ubisoft what needs to be changed

-Three or four patches

-Couple of driver releases

In a month it will probably be a good experience.

The question is: do the looks justify the performance for maxed graphics, and does it scale well? 

Ugh. How about let's wait for the proper game-ready drivers and then judge performance? This happens with almost EVERY new triple A game release, EVERY TIME. Happened with ROTTR as well. 

Have we all not learned this yet??? 

I have the game pre-loaded and will report it's performance on an i5 + 980 pre and post driver update. 

As for the game itself, I've watched a number of reviews for the console versions and I looked really interesting to me. I'm also starting to notice the graphical and performance optimizations for the latest consoles are really starting to come into swing now. It's getting harder to tell PC vs console versions apart aside from the lower resolution and frame rates. Since this game runs so well on the consoles, I can't see it being a dog on the PC version after driver updates. Usually the games that were bad and remained bad on PC, also remained bad on the consoles. I really don't think this game is going to be a problem for PC after driver updates, but we shall see...

Just wish everyone with stop this knee-jerk reaction to every game that runs less than optimally on PC on day one prior to driver updates.  

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

10 minutes ago, MEC-777 said:

Ugh. How about let's wait for the proper game-ready drivers and then judge performance? This happens with almost EVERY new triple A game release, EVERY TIME. Happened with ROTTR as well. 

Have we all not learned this yet??? 

I have the game pre-loaded and will report it's performance on an i5 + 980 pre and post driver update. 

As for the game itself, I've watched a number of reviews for the console versions and I looked really interesting to me. I'm also starting to notice the graphical and performance optimizations for the latest consoles are really starting to come into swing now. It's getting harder to tell PC vs console versions apart aside from the lower resolution and frame rates. Since this game runs so well on the consoles, I can't see it being a dog on the PC version after driver updates. Usually the games that were bad and remained bad on PC, also remained bad on the consoles. I really don't think this game is going to be a problem for PC after driver updates, but we shall see...

Just wish everyone with stop this knee-jerk reaction to every game that runs less than optimally on PC on day one prior to driver updates.  

there shouldnt be any need for godam game ready drivers. Why the hell does a driver team have to fix a shitty coded game. wtf does primal do so different and cutting edge that drivers have to be updated for it?

4 minutes ago, Ashaira said:

there shouldnt be any need for godam game ready drivers. Why the hell does a driver team have to fix a shitty coded game. wtf does primal do so different and cutting edge that drivers have to be updated for it?

Console hardware is a fixed known combination which gives the devs the ability to optimize for that hardware really well. On PC there is such a wide range of hardware, it's not so simple to optimize for it. 

The only thing that I don't understand is why they wait until day one or later to release the game-ready drivers. Why can they not have it ready before hand? That's my only beef, to be honest. 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

Just now, MEC-777 said:

Console hardware is a fixed known combination which gives the devs the ability to optimize for that hardware really well. On PC there is such a wide range of hardware, it's not so simple to optimize for it. 

The only thing that I don't understand is why they wait until day one or later to release the game-ready drivers. Why can they not have it ready before hand? That's my only beef, to be honest. 

oh for gods sake. console hardware has nothing to do with it. this is a huge studio with plenty of pc experience. This isnt a case of the game running bad on very niche specific hardware combinations. it runs like shit on anything from an entry level laptop to the best config available on a desktop pc. either they gave away the port to another studio or ubisoft pushed it out too fast again cause i refuse to believe any dev with a shred of dignity would allow a game to go out in such a state.

10 minutes ago, Ashaira said:

oh for gods sake. console hardware has nothing to do with it. this is a huge studio with plenty of pc experience. This isnt a case of the game running bad on very niche specific hardware combinations. it runs like shit on anything from an entry level laptop to the best config available on a desktop pc. either they gave away the port to another studio or ubisoft pushed it out too fast again cause i refuse to believe any dev with a shred of dignity would allow a game to go out in such a state.

Watching TB's video about the game right now before I comment further on it's performance. 

All I will say to you at this point is; calm down. It's just a game. There is really no need to get this upset about it at this point.

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

HTPC:

Spoiler

Laptops:

Spoiler

NAS:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, MEC-777 said:

Watching TB's video about the game right now before I comment further on it's performance. 

All I will say to you at this point is; calm down. It's just a game. There is really no need to get this upset about it at this point.

it is when you work in said industry and are watching an old paragon burning it's legacy to the ground.

Just now, Ashaira said:

it is when you work in said industry and are watching an old paragon burning it's legacy to the ground.

Just curious; what will you say if after the game-ready drivers and day 1 patch, the game then runs great? 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

HTPC:

Spoiler

Laptops:

Spoiler

NAS:

Spoiler

Just now, MEC-777 said:

Just curious; what will you say if after the game-ready drivers and day 1 patch, the game then runs great? 

dude the point still stands what in gods name does it do different that a graphics driver has to be changed for it? and this stands for every game not just primal.

2 hours ago, Morgan MLGman said:

What does Hitman Absolution have to do with any of those recent titles? The game launched in 2012. And it ran pretty damn good.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

2 minutes ago, Nineshadow said:

What does Hitman Absolution have to do with any of those recent titles? The game launched in 2012. And it ran pretty damn good.

I mean the latest hitman that's in BETA atm, dunno the name :P