How to clean metal?

spwath

So im trying to restore some old headphones, and the metal isnt very shiny and is tarnished. The inside is nice and shiny, outside isnt.

What can I do to clean/shine it up?
20160228_140734.thumb.jpg.e545ad7bc4ed6820160228_140747.thumb.jpg.406fff780696a9

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Different metals have different cleaning solutions and compounds.  You should go to a hardware store and ask what they carry for cleaning the types of metals on the headset.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

alcohol :S ? maby idk i might be wrong dont Quote me on this one xD

CPU:Intel Core i5 6600K 3,5GHz  Motherboard: Z170 PRO GAMING  RAM: HyperX X Fury black DDR4 2x4GB

GPU: AMD Radeon HD 7800 series Case: some random shit tho it is gonna be upgraded Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240GB Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo Display: Asus VS278Q Keyboard: Roccat Arvo Mouse:Razer Naga 2015 Edition OS:Windows 10 

If the discoloration is a kind of rust/tarnish, then I'd try some white vinegar on a cloth before anything else. I've tried it on old brass door handles and some slightly rusted tools - works pretty nicely.

Brasso make sure to use good gloves because the sent can stay on your hands for a long long time. 

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

17 minutes ago, spwath said:

So im trying to restore some old headphones, and the metal isnt very shiny and is tarnished. The inside is nice and shiny, outside isnt.

What can I do to clean/shine it up?

If it's solid metal and not metalized plastic I would recommend a non-abrasive metal polish, it would clean it up quite well, go easy on it if it's plated stuff depending on the thickness of the plating. 

Depends on the metal. If its chrome finish, there are chrome polishes with rust remover. I prefer Turtle Wax brand. Otherwise, brasso is good. Despite its name, it services a wide variety of metals. If these dont work, the last thing I would recommend is Barkeeper's Friend. It has a tendency to be harsher than the others, which is great for stubborn projects, but can leave scratches in the surface of the metal. To mitigate this, I use a polishing cloth like an old glasses or antistatic cloth.

On 2/28/2016 at 3:39 PM, W-L said:

If it's solid metal and not metalized plastic I would recommend a non-abrasive metal polish, it would clean it up quite well, go easy on it if it's plated stuff depending on the thickness of the plating. 

I'm guessing silver polish would not work as its not silver? I have some on hand

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

2 hours ago, spwath said:

I'm guessing silver polish would not work as its not silver? I have some on hand

It might have some stuff in it that wouldn't work as well, but you could try it in a inconspicuous spot, as long as it's a non abrasive metal polish it shouldn't mind too much. 

2 hours ago, W-L said:

It might have some stuff in it that wouldn't work as well, but you could try it in a inconspicuous spot, as long as it's a non abrasive metal polish it shouldn't mind too much. 

Seemed to work, but not that well. Ordered some brasso