Maximus Hero VIII vs Z-170 A for gaming build.

So i just want to know if the 80$ are actually worth it. I'll be using a i7-6700k, 16 gb  DDR4-3000, and a 980ti if that helps. I'll be using it primarily for gaming and might do some OC,  so which one is better for my needs?

Thanks!

I can't justify the extra cost of the Hero over the Z-170A. Both support the ram speed you have, both support SLI if you need it later, both support OC. The Z-170a also has more expansion slots than the Hero. You are paying for the ROG branding and not a lot of other features really.

Go check the specs of both and see what I mean about features from one board to another - the Z-170A is a great board.

https://www.asus.com/au/Motherboards/Z170-A/specifications/

https://www.asus.com/au/Motherboards/MAXIMUS-VIII-HERO/specifications/

18 minutes ago, Scarfold said:

So i just want to know if the 80$ are actually worth it. I'll be using a i7-6700k, 16 gb  DDR4-3000, and a 980ti if that helps. I'll be using it primarily for gaming and might do some OC,  so which one is better for my needs?

Thanks!

ROG boards are pretty much made for the looks and some people are willing to pay for that and for people that don't want to pay for it they over the boards like the z170a. So its up to you if you think having the looks of the ROG board are worth the extra cash.

[CPU-i5 4690k] [MB-Asus Maximus VII Hero] [GPU-Asus Matirx 980ti] [Ram-8GB Corsair Vengeance ram] [ Cooling-Corsair H100i/ 3 Noctua NF-P12 for intake] [sSD/HDD-120GB evo/ 1TB WB Caviar blue] [Case-NZXT H440] [Dell U3415W]