FPS in Minecraft with Intel Core i7 5820K and R9 390

Matias_Chambers

In Minecraft video I have seen with a GTX 970 and Intel Core i7 people have been getting 250-1000 fps. In all videos with an R9 390 people are getting around 100 fps. The R9 390 performs atleast the same as GTX 970. My question is: Would I still get 250+ fps in Minecraft with an R9 390? Or does Minecraft work better with Nvidia?

Well i have a 6600k oced to 4.4 and a 390 and i get around 250 depending on view distance,

And since minecraft is cpu dependent it will run even better on the 5820k. 

CPU: i5 6600k OCed to 4.5Ghz @ 1.35v, GPU: R9 390 Nitro, Motherboard: Asus z170-A, CPU Cooler: H100i GTX, RAM: HyperX 2x8 16gb DDR4, PSU: Seasonic x650, Storage: 850 EVO 500gb, WD 1tb blue, Case: H440 White/Black

3 minutes ago, Matias_Chambers said:

In Minecraft video I have seen with a GTX 970 and Intel Core i7 people have been getting 250-1000 fps. In all videos with an R9 390 people are getting around 100 fps. The R9 390 performs atleast the same as GTX 970. My question is: Would I still get 250+ fps in Minecraft with an R9 390? Or does Minecraft work better with Nvidia?

MC works well(or bad) with all GPUs also because anyone recording is also running a recording software you'll probably get even better then them even if raw specs are even.

If I use words like probably or most likely, it is because I dislike certainty. These words can probably be omitted and the sentence read as a certainty.

Pls dont tell me youre purchasing a 5820K and a 390 with the sole intent of playing Minecraft...

To answer your question, yes it will work great but you dont need it.

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

2 minutes ago, Swndlr said:

Pls dont tell me youre purchasing a 5820K and a 390 with the sole intent of playing Minecraft...

maybe he wants a 1024 texture pack?

If I use words like probably or most likely, it is because I dislike certainty. These words can probably be omitted and the sentence read as a certainty.

4 minutes ago, Swndlr said:

Yeah please.  I played minecreaft on a 4590 and a r9 270x.  got above 100 on high

I can help with programming and hardware.

<Script>alert("This website is vulnerable to XSS");</Script>

4 minutes ago, Swndlr said:

I do video editing and rendering etc.

i run minecraft on a AMD Phenom x4 9750 and a Nvidia 8800 GT with 250 to 300+ fps on high to maxed settings

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning." -Albert Einstein

1 minute ago, NTF5252 said:

maybe he wants a 1024 texture pack?

Regardless of what res texture pack he wants, getting a rig like that just to play Minecraft is downright stupid and your rig deserves to catch on fire if it's that overkill for one game and one game only.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

i had a gtx 650 and an i5 3450 and i was usually getting around 300-400 fps.  i have an r9 390 now and it gets the same so my CPU is holding me back at this point.

Just now, tmcclelland455 said:

Regardless of what res texture pack he wants, getting a rig like that just to play Minecraft is downright stupid and your rig deserves to catch on fire if it's that overkill for one game and one game only.

I've seen a guy who had a i7(I dont remember which) and 64 gb of ram, for internet browing. I guess my overkill meter is broken :)

3 minutes ago, tmcclelland455 said:

i had a client that wanted a custom computer with a GTX 950 just to run minecraft only and with shaders. it was kind of stupid but the customer is always right i guess... 

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning." -Albert Einstein

7 minutes ago, tmcclelland455 said:

Relax, I also do video editing and play other games.

5 minutes ago, Matias_Chambers said:

Relax, I also do video editing and play other games.

lol almost had a heart attack there for a second 

17 minutes ago, glitchmaster0001 said:

i had a client that wanted a custom computer with a GTX 950 just to run minecraft only and with shaders. it was kind of stupid but the customer is always right i guess... 

While you may not think it, the shader mods for mine craft are actually kind of taxing. Not to the level of a lot of other games, but it still does take a relatively high amount of power compared to stock mine craft.

That said though, it is kind of overkill still :P.

Current system: CPU:I5 6600k 4.5Ghz, CPU Cooler: Asetek 550LC, Motherboard: Asus Z170 Pro Gamer, Ram:Adata XPG 4x2 2400, Graphics Card:MSi GTX 970 + Zotac 970, Hard drives:256gb SSD+1tb WD Blue, Case:Corsair Spec 01 Power Supply:XFX TS  750 watt Bronze, OS:Windows 10 64bit

Nice to see the Linus Tech Tips forums jumping to conclusions again.

To OP: you're gonna get at least 300FPS in Minecraft, and it'll hold up better than the 970 with tons of texture and shader packs.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

Minecraft can run somewhat good on my rig.

Specs down below.

No but seriously, a Haswell-E chip can do waaaay more stuff then just playing and recording a not very intensive game, like Minecraft, especially when you pair it with a top tier GPU.

Edited by Djole123
Forgot to add that glorious -E after Haswell!

Athlon X2 for only 27.31$   Best part lists at different price points   Windows 1.01 running natively on an Eee PC

My rig:

Spoiler

Celeronator (new main rig)

CPU: Intel Celeron (duh) N2840 2.16GHz Dual Core

RAM: 4GB DDR3 1333MHz

HDD: Seagate 500GB

GPU: Intel HD Graphics 3000 Series

Spoiler

Frankenhertz (ex main rig)

CPU: Intel Atom N2600 1.6GHz Dual Core

RAM: 1GB DDR3-800

HDD: HGST 320GB

GPU: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) 3600

5 minutes ago, 1Revenger1 said:

While you may not think it, the shader mods for mine craft are actually kind of taxing. Not to the level of a lot of other games, but it still does take a relatively high amount of power compared to stock mine craft.

That said though, it is kind of overkill still :P.

I thought shaders was also heavily dependent on the CPU rather than the GPU. I may be wrong though.

My Rig:

Xeon E5 1680 V2 @ 4.5GHz - Asus Rampage IV Extreme X79 Mobo - 64GB DDR3 1600MHz - 8 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Low Profile - CAS 10-10-10-27 - AMD Radeon RX 6700XT Sapphire Pulse 12GB - DeepCool E-Shield E-ATX Tempered Glass Case - 1 x 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe SSD - BeQuiet Straight Power 11 850W Gold+ Quad rail - Fractal Design Celsius S36 & 6 x 120mm silent fans - Lenovo KBBH21 - Corsair Glaive RGB Pro - Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Monitors - 3 x Acer Nitro 23.8" 1080p 75Hz IPS 1ms Freesync Panels = AMD Eyefinity @ 75Hz

Just now, Brennan_Price said:

I thought shaders was also heavily dependent on the CPU rather than the GPU. I may be wrong though.

I actually really don't know. I think it is kind of both, but I don't have any evidence for it.

Either way, the OP shouldn't have to worry about FPS at all, easily get more than 250 I'm guessing with or without shaders.

Current system: CPU:I5 6600k 4.5Ghz, CPU Cooler: Asetek 550LC, Motherboard: Asus Z170 Pro Gamer, Ram:Adata XPG 4x2 2400, Graphics Card:MSi GTX 970 + Zotac 970, Hard drives:256gb SSD+1tb WD Blue, Case:Corsair Spec 01 Power Supply:XFX TS  750 watt Bronze, OS:Windows 10 64bit

shaders is GPU bounded. while minecracft nativily is GPU bounded 

5 minutes ago, 1Revenger1 said:

I actually really don't know. I think it is kind of both, but I don't have any evidence for it.

Either way, the OP shouldn't have to worry about FPS at all, easily get more than 250 I'm guessing with or without shaders.

Yeah. I totally agree with you however I'm stuck on what to do now. I gave just bought a 1080p monitor finally after using a 15 year old monitor at the weirdest res ever. And I use shaders but only get about 25fps on my 1080p monitor. I have an AMD Athlon x4 860k as well as an r7 360. They run fine together but I'm kinda wondering which to upgrade next since I obviously have low fps. Should I get an r7 370 or r9 380. will getting a r9 380 be overkill?

Should I even get a new GPU either, maybe go for a new CPU... I don't know.

My Rig:

Xeon E5 1680 V2 @ 4.5GHz - Asus Rampage IV Extreme X79 Mobo - 64GB DDR3 1600MHz - 8 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Low Profile - CAS 10-10-10-27 - AMD Radeon RX 6700XT Sapphire Pulse 12GB - DeepCool E-Shield E-ATX Tempered Glass Case - 1 x 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe SSD - BeQuiet Straight Power 11 850W Gold+ Quad rail - Fractal Design Celsius S36 & 6 x 120mm silent fans - Lenovo KBBH21 - Corsair Glaive RGB Pro - Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Monitors - 3 x Acer Nitro 23.8" 1080p 75Hz IPS 1ms Freesync Panels = AMD Eyefinity @ 75Hz

in strictly vanilla minecraft you especially want cpu power, i'm not too sure on the finer details, but anything more than quadcore is a waste of silicon.

as for the gpu side... its weird.. lots of strange things happen when you go up into the insane numbers fps wise.

as for the nvidia/amd argument: it literally shouldnt matter a thing, minecraft is written with LWJGL, which uses OpenGL, and isnt really sponsored or helped by any gpu manufacturer as far as i know.