Futureproof enough?

Svadilfare

So, I'm looking to build a work/gaming PC that will last me quite a while. I'm looking to get at least 5 years out of it, so I wonder if there's anything else I should change in order to make it even more futureproof. I have a beefy power supply so that if needs be, I can buy another gtx 980 ti and run it in SLI. I'm also planning to overclock the CPU if it starts falling behind to other, newer coming models.

Case: Fractal Design Define R5

CPU: Intel i7 6700K

CPU Fan: Noctua NH-D15

GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX 980Ti

MoBo: Asus Z170 Pro gaming

PSU: Corsair RM850X

SSD: 250GB Samsung EVO 850

HDD: 1TB WD-Blue 7200RPM

RAM: 32GB DDR4 2400Mhz HyperX Fury

Any thoughts or opinions are welcome.

Edit:

Some extra information:

I'm not planning to do any 4K gaming or stuff like that, probably gonna stick to 1080p or maybe 1440p.

I know the RAM might be abit overkill, but I run quite a few VM's for work related stuff, so that's the main reason

I would say that it is definitely future proof! Thats some of the most top of the line tech of today so it wont be outdated for a while.

| Ryzen 9 3950X | EVGA 1200P2 | AMD 5700XT | ASUS Crosshair VIII Hero WiFi | G. Skill 4x16GB 3600Mhz CL16 F4-3600C16D-32GTZN | 2x1TB Samsung 980 Pro | Lian Li O11 Dynamic |

Yeah you'll easily get over 5 years out of that, you may like another HDD/SSD later though.

i5 6600K @ 4.4GHz / Cooler Master Nepton 240M (GC Extreme Thermal Compound) / Asus Maximus VIII Gene / 8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-2400 / 240GB SanDisk SSD Plus & 2TB SeaGate Barracuda HDD / EVGA GTX 980 ACX 2.0 / XFX XTR 750W 80+ Gold  / Fractal Design Node 804                                                                                                                                                                                                                      Total: £1042.31

keep in mind amd is comming out with a new gen aswell idk if they are gonna be strong but its worth waiting for just to check it out before buying this 

CPU:Intel Core i5 6600K 3,5GHz  Motherboard: Z170 PRO GAMING  RAM: HyperX X Fury black DDR4 2x4GB

GPU: AMD Radeon HD 7800 series Case: some random shit tho it is gonna be upgraded Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240GB Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo Display: Asus VS278Q Keyboard: Roccat Arvo Mouse:Razer Naga 2015 Edition OS:Windows 10 

2 minutes ago, Svadilfare said:

So, I'm looking to build a work/gaming PC that will last me quite a while. I'm looking to get at least 5 years out of it, so I wonder if there's anything else I should change in order to make it even more futureproof. I have a beefy power supply so that if needs be, I can buy another gtx 980 ti and run it in SLI. I'm also planning to overclock the CPU if it starts falling behind to other, newer coming models.

Case: Fractal Design Define R5

CPU: Intel i7 6700K

CPU Fan: Noctua NH-D15

GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX 980Ti

MoBo: Asus Z170 Pro gaming

PSU: Corsair RM850X

SSD: 250GB Samsung EVO 850

HDD: 1TB WD-Blue 7200RPM

RAM: 32GB DDR4 2400Mhz HyperX Fury

Any thoughts or opinions are welcome.

I mean overall it looks great and should last but new cards are coming this year, maybe wait for those.

_/ V\
                  / /  /
                <<    |
                ,/    ]
              ,/      ]
            ,/        |
           /    \  \ /
          /      | | |
    ______|   __/_/| |
   /_______\______}\__}  

Spoiler

[i7-7700k@5Ghz | MSI Z270 M7 | 16GB 3000 GEIL EVOX | STRIX ROG 1060 OC 6G | EVGA G2 650W | ROSEWILL B2 SPIRIT | SANDISK 256GB M2 | 4x 1TB Seagate Barracudas RAID 10 ]

[i3-4360 | mini-itx potato | 4gb DDR3-1600 | 8tb wd red | 250gb seagate| Debian 9 ]

[Dell Inspiron 15 5567] 

Looks good! You may want to get a larger HDD, maybe 2TB or more if you're putting more data on it.

I say jiggly-bytes when I see "GB".

It goes down better than you would expect.

Now there's one thing I see in this system that's not future proof. Everythings fine and will probably last 7 - 10 years except STORAGE, go for at least a 2tb hdd. 

4 minutes ago, Svadilfare said:

I know the RAM might be abit overkill, but I run quite a few VM's for work related stuff, so that's the main reason

Go X99 then with 5820K

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

Depends how long your idea of quite a while is and what your budget is!

I'm in the process of building a new rig based around the same gear Linus used for the 7 gamers 1 CPU video but with less powerful Xeon's to replace my current EVGA SR-2 x5690 rig which has served me since 2011. Depends how many VM's you are running really - I use about 20 VM's on Hyper-V at the moment.

Dual Xeon x5690's overclocked to 4.3GHz on air | EVGA SR-2 |48GB DDR3 PC3-12800 | Cooler Master: V6GT's | LSI 9260-8i SAS Controller | 4 x Samsung 850 SSD's in RAID0 | Gigabyte GTX980 G1 Gaming

You also need to remember memory bandwidth and the extra threads from the 2011-v3 series will benefit you immensely depending what you intend to do with virtualized workloads.

Dual Xeon x5690's overclocked to 4.3GHz on air | EVGA SR-2 |48GB DDR3 PC3-12800 | Cooler Master: V6GT's | LSI 9260-8i SAS Controller | 4 x Samsung 850 SSD's in RAID0 | Gigabyte GTX980 G1 Gaming

Definitely future proof! You'll also have the option to by an m.2 4x ssd which will help you for your working tasks

Get a 5820k instead. 

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

16 minutes ago, Nailzy said:

Depends how long your idea of quite a while is and what your budget is!

I'm in the process of building a new rig based around the same gear Linus used for the 7 gamers 1 CPU video but with less powerful Xeon's to replace my current EVGA SR-2 x5690 rig which has served me since 2011. Depends how many VM's you are running really - I use about 20 VM's on Hyper-V at the moment.

14 minutes ago, Nailzy said:

You also need to remember memory bandwidth and the extra threads from the 2011-v3 series will benefit you immensely depending what you intend to do with virtualized workloads.

Yeah, I'm probably not gonna end up running 20, I think i'm gonna have at most probably 5-6, so I don't think it's much in my interest to get that beefy of a CPU, my budget is also around 2000€, so yeah.

27 minutes ago, Oishter said:

Now there's one thing I see in this system that's not future proof. Everythings fine and will probably last 7 - 10 years except STORAGE, go for at least a 2tb hdd. 

I actually still have another 1TB WD-Blue HDD lying around, so I can use that one if I'm really starting to run out of space.

Just now, Svadilfare said:

I actually still have another 1TB WD-Blue HDD lying around, so I can use that one if I'm really starting to run out of space.

Ok, but remember, adding 1tb drives now and again you will eventually run out of sata. Better to start as you mean to go on with a big drive. Up to you in the end though