SLI 970 vs. single 980ti

fearherbs

SLI 970 vs. Single 980ti  

33 members have voted

1. 1. SLI 970 vs. Single 980ti

I was wondering what peoples view on this is. Feel free to Explain your choice.

GTX980Ti-Fullsize1.jpg

img_0256.jpg

Single 980 Ti if you play lots of games, 970s if you benchmarking.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

Single 980Ti.

-Avoid SLI issues.

-Less heat

-Less power consumption

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

A single 980 ti will give you less problems with games that either don't scale well or don't even support SLI. Plus a single card means you won't really suffer from any form of stuttering caused by SLI (then again, there are games out there that are unoptimized pieces of shit that they stutter with just one card anyways, but it'd have to be THAT badly optimized)

Just now, xAcid9 said:

Single 980 Ti if you play lots of games, 970s if you benchmarking.

he's right, SLI isn't always that effective and not with all games, go with a single 980ti

A single 980ti will smash my golden 970 out the park.

post-122562-0-41631000-1450365441.png

post-122562-0-86798800-1449749955_thumb.

Spoiler

Chernobyl

AMD FX8350 @ 5GHz | Asus Sabretooth 990FX R2 | 16GB HyperX Savage @1950mhz CL9 | 120GB Kingston SSDNow

EK AMD LTX CSQ | XSPC D5 Dual Bay | Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 240mm & Coolgate Triple HD360

Spoiler

Kraken

Intel i5 4670K Bare Die 4.9GHz | ASUS Maximus VII Ranger Z97 | 16GB HyperX Savage 2400MHz | Samsung EVO 250GB

EK Supremecy EVO & EK-MOSFET M7G  | Dual 360mm Rads | Primochill CTR Phase II w/D5 | MSI GTX970 1670MHz/8000MHz

Graphic Design Student & Overall Nerd

Preferably, a Hybrid Cooled 980 Ti :p, for those low temps and decibel range.

Groomlake Authority

SLI becomes a genuinely viable option when there's no single-card upgrade path i.e. if you're already using a top-tier GPU. Until then, it typically makes sense to upgrade and sell off the previous one.

Single most powerful card vs two mediocre ones.

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero

This video explains things quite nicely:

Previously Trogdor8freebird

5800x | Asus x570 Pro Wifi (barely enough for 64GB apparently given it's 2133 and still crashes sometimes) | 64GB DDR4 | 3070 Ti 8GB | Love that whole weeb shit

14 minutes ago, Trogdor8freebird said:

This video explains things quite nicely:

Please don't share things from gamersnexus, they really don't know shit about what they're talking about, the fact they didn't notice their gimped 9590 thermal throttling then went on to deny they fucked up their testing etc was enough for me to see they're fucking morons.

Spoiler

Chernobyl

AMD FX8350 @ 5GHz | Asus Sabretooth 990FX R2 | 16GB HyperX Savage @1950mhz CL9 | 120GB Kingston SSDNow

EK AMD LTX CSQ | XSPC D5 Dual Bay | Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 240mm & Coolgate Triple HD360

Spoiler

Kraken

Intel i5 4670K Bare Die 4.9GHz | ASUS Maximus VII Ranger Z97 | 16GB HyperX Savage 2400MHz | Samsung EVO 250GB

EK Supremecy EVO & EK-MOSFET M7G  | Dual 360mm Rads | Primochill CTR Phase II w/D5 | MSI GTX970 1670MHz/8000MHz

25 minutes ago, Benji_w said:

Please don't share things from gamersnexus, they really don't know shit about what they're talking about, the fact they didn't notice their gimped 9590 thermal throttling then went on to deny they fucked up their testing etc was enough for me to see they're fucking morons.

I'm not sure what scenario you're referring to, but from what I've seen they're pretty good overall. Much better than most others in fact. 

If they acted stupid in one specific issue, I can understand getting annoyed. However, you look at most other popular tech channels (Jayztwocents, Linus [no offense to him of course], tek syndicate, Awesomesauce Network, Digitalfoundry), I can point out so many more issues they all have when compared to Gamers Nexus. Digitalfoundry and Tek Syndicate most notably say some of the dumbest crap yet people consider them reliable.

Whether they made a notable stupid mistake once or twice doesn't make their testing less valid considering half of the Youtubers I mentioned don't even use minimums all the time, let alone the 0.1% and 1% fps deltas. Their numbers aren't simply made up just because you've lost faith in their competence. 

Whatever their past configurations were, it looks like they learned (something that tells a lot more than one or two stupid mistakes). Their test setup is definitely not an FX-9590 anymore, and (at least on the GPU side) I've noticed they're not biased for one brand or another, or even one card or another (something I can't say for any of the youtubers I mentioned above).

In any case, I won't respond to your next comment because I know how people on the internet generally take to being challenged in their logic and this'll likely only escalate. Just noting: you do what you do, I'll continue to do what I'm doing. :)

Previously Trogdor8freebird

5800x | Asus x570 Pro Wifi (barely enough for 64GB apparently given it's 2133 and still crashes sometimes) | 64GB DDR4 | 3070 Ti 8GB | Love that whole weeb shit

1 hour ago, Trogdor8freebird said:

I'm not sure what scenario you're referring to, but from what I've seen they're pretty good overall. Much better than most others in fact. 

If they acted stupid in one specific issue, I can understand getting annoyed. However, you look at most other popular tech channels (Jayztwocents, Linus [no offense to him of course], tek syndicate, Awesomesauce Network, Digitalfoundry), I can point out so many more issues they all have when compared to Gamers Nexus. Digitalfoundry and Tek Syndicate most notably say some of the dumbest crap yet people consider them reliable.

Whether they made a notable stupid mistake once or twice doesn't make their testing less valid considering half of the Youtubers I mentioned don't even use minimums all the time, let alone the 0.1% and 1% fps deltas. Their numbers aren't simply made up just because you've lost faith in their competence. 

Whatever their past configurations were, it looks like they learned (something that tells a lot more than one or two stupid mistakes). Their test setup is definitely not an FX-9590 anymore, and (at least on the GPU side) I've noticed they're not biased for one brand or another, or even one card or another (something I can't say for any of the youtubers I mentioned above).

In any case, I won't respond to your next comment because I know how people on the internet generally take to being challenged in their logic and this'll likely only escalate. Just noting: you do what you do, I'll continue to do what I'm doing. :)

Lol please stop, just... stop. GN are idiots across the board and that's where I leave this convo for the better. The reviewer was a douche, he didn't know shit about amd but went on to compare them to intel anyway the stood by his words when pointed in the right direction, all hail intel because fuck everything else.

they're not unbiased either. Rated as funny because it is.

Spoiler

Chernobyl

Spoiler

Kraken