andy335e92

Dune Case  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Awesome case?

• Yes, I would consider getting it!
    • No, complete ripoff of mac pro, want nothing to do with it
    • undecided

1 hour ago, dunecase said:

I feel you on the extruded part .. to do this case we combine extrude, bend, form, CNC and will be doing some d case moulds ... man its gets expensive .. but once put into production it should make everything cheaper and affordable .. Seems like you have some manufacturing experience or CAD??

Quoting on phone still buggy as hell. Wait for next post.

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil

I am an electrical engineering student (master degree). I do work part time and about two years ago I had to desing a smal mechanical part for a test equiment for internal use. So i got an introduction form a college and worked about 4 days on the model. It was 3D printed afterwards.

thats all experience I had from work, but I liked the programm so I used for my three private projects. I'm far off of beeing a power user and I reuse a lot models provided by grabcad.com. But I make incremental steps everytime I use it. As for production, I know how to use a drill and so on. But I don't know how to weld for example. But I have someone that can give me some advise when I don't know how to manufacture something. I'm familliar with electrical stuff.
All knowledge I needed for the project I got by reading on the internet, common sense as well as try and error. And I also spend a looooot of time on this projects. The planing and sourcing of the parts is extremly time consuming. But it's my hobby and I like to do it, so it's fine.

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil

11 minutes ago, Stefan1024 said:

I am an electrical engineering student (master degree). I do work part time and about two years ago I had to desing a smal mechanical part for a test equiment for internal use. So i got an introduction form a college and worked about 4 days on the model. It was 3D printed afterwards.

thats all experience I had from work, but I liked the programm so I used for my three private projects. I'm far off of beeing a power user and I reuse a lot models provided by grabcad.com. But I make incremental steps everytime I use it. As for production, I know how to use a drill and so on. But I don't know how to weld for example. But I have someone that can give me some advise when I don't know how to manufacture something. I'm familliar with electrical stuff.
All knowledge I needed for the project I got by reading on the internet, common sense as well as try and error. And I also spend a looooot of time on this projects. The planing and sourcing of the parts is extremly time consuming. But it's my hobby and I like to do it, so it's fine.

We should definitely work on a build together .. I moved to Hong Kong three years ago from Sydney, Australia and 40 mins away is the manufacturing Hub of the world... Shenzhen, China. I have a metal factory I work with that does all my stuff. He has a really nice CNC machine but mainly use if for creating molds. We used it to make our prototype. We also used 3d parts but I still like things milled out using CNC process. 

If your interested in doing a build together let me know .. we can make something really cool .. I also have a CAD engineer from europe that makes life easy when designing how it is put together. Good thing about China and particularly Shenzhen is that you can find any part you need in one place. I know its time consuming but I'm here if you want help on your next build or do one together :)

YES I am interested. I can provide my experience with passive cooling / heat management.

Sadly I'm running low on time lately due to part time study (today - had lecures from 9:00 to 20:15 + two hours traveling) and part time working takes a lot of time. But I'm sure I will fine some time. Also I willl travel to china next august. i may be able to visit Shenzen. If you know somebody who sells 50 liter pure silicon oil with <= cSt viscosity and shippps is to Switzerland for less than 300$ total: I'm interested ;)

1 minute ago, Stefan1024 said:
  • By the way whats the time in china now? ;)

Hahahha 4:30am 

wouldl love it if linus could give his thoughts on my case ...

also i will have an answer in the next few days on the  50 liter pure silicon oil ... Ill ask a few guys in china for you :)

Amazing case. I would DEFINETELY have bought it had I known about this 5 days earlier. Instead got the BitFenix Prodigy, whihc is a good case but this looks awesome.

P.S Couldn't rip off the Mac Pro more if you tried, v.hilarious

A friend of my mom's bought a Mac Pro despite me offering to make a computer for him in a small mini-itx case.

I am definetely showing him this case. Hope this gets funded and continue to make awesome cases :)

I can certainly see this case being used as a console replacement as something that looks nice and compact and sits next to your TV.

Good Luck!

Just for the guys that wants the details .. I'm letting you guys be one of the first to see the dune case inside ..

frontpanel.png

This is the front panel. The display connectors is 2 x HDMI 2.0 or Display Port 1.2 This is all connected to a custom pcb and at the bottm of the PCB it has connectors that go into the PSU bracket

caselayout.png

Here we show exactly how the cables are piped into the PSU bracket. You can also see that the PSU bracket splits the airflow into 2 sections. GPU and CPU. The cables are then channeled to the mid section of the case.

cable-management.png

As you can see on from the PSU bracket the cables are piped in the mid section of the case. The mid section has the PCIe riser, HDD mounts, PSU cables that feed to the motherboard, front panel cables for mb, and cables for GPU. This section is closed off with a door that is also a GPU mount.

Anyway guys you are the first to see these drawings and I hope it has answered some of the questions you were looking for answers too.. please let me know if you have any more questions as I am happy to answer them .. thanks,

Alexander Gomez

Looks smacking!
May purchase at some point if it becomes available!

I don't like 2D games...I just couldn't get into them.. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

2 minutes ago, Lor1113 said:

A friend of my mom's bought a Mac Pro despite me offering to make a computer for him in a small mini-itx case.

I am definetely showing him this case. Hope this gets funded and continue to make awesome cases :)

I can certainly see this case being used as a console replacement as something that looks nice and compact and sits next to your TV.

Good Luck!

Thanks Lor1113 for you comments .. would be good to hear what your friend says :)

Here's a crazy idea - replace the mesh top with a radiator mount. You could AIO your CPU for even better airflow, or just install a fan if your not into AIO. Would be cool.

2 minutes ago, dunecase said:

Under the mesh comes with a 140mm fan .. its inclusive .. we use 

http://www.thermalright.com/html/products/fan/ty-14013r.html

Thats going to move a crapload of air through the case!

yeah if people only knew that the thermals actually work in this case .. all the designs for the PSU bracket and GPU mount door was design so it was minimal air leaks and no cables in between to interrupt air flow .. 

1 minute ago, dunecase said:

yeah if people only knew that the thermals actually work in this case .. all the designs for the PSU bracket and GPU mount door was design so it was minimal air leaks and no cables in between to interrupt air flow .. 

Perhaps demonstrate thermals by doing temperature and noise measurements with power hungry cards and CPUs

Good idea from iamdarkyoshi - put in mac pro components and show how badly it reks the mac pro in terms of thermals

Just saw the diagrams.

My thoughts: would much rather have just 1 3.5" inch as i could use a M.2 SSD as boot.

1 3.5" and 1 2.5" is ideal but i can understand if it can't fit inside. Also the I/O looks slightly sunk in from one of your pictures - would look MUCH nicer if flush with the outside.

On 2/24/2016 at 7:12 AM, dunecase said:

Ofcourse ... I love designing cases and I really want to make high quality cases for the custom builder .. There is life after Kickstarter and there is so much interest in this that I think it validates that people want something new for the PC with high quality build and not your standard Sheet metal like most manufactures... So the simple answer is Yes ... we are here to stay and I hope we can get one to you asap :)

u should sell them on ebay'

at the moment probably just on the kickstarter .. not but later it may be an option. 

Thoughts from me:

Love the clean look, but a hole should be included in the back/bottom to run extra cables through, like surround audio Or anything not on back panel that could be on a motherboard, silverstone ft03 style, but on the bottom and hidden.

Otherwise you are restricted to back panel, and i could not hook up my surround system Or dvi monitor, or ibm model m.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."