Dune Case (Mac pro copy)

andy335e92

Dune Case  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Awesome case?

• Yes, I would consider getting it!
    • No, complete ripoff of mac pro, want nothing to do with it
    • undecided

Not sure if this has been shared on here yet or not but check it out... A mac pro case copy, these guys really went went out of their way to copy it. Everything from the actual design to the black glossy finish, even the promo bio video on the kickstarter page was made just like an apple product video. All the way down to the icons they use on the kickstarter page. BUT I haven't been more excited for a case in a while, I have had a mini itx hackintosh for over 2 years now so this is so appealing to me. I actually do hope it gets funded and that apple doesn't find a way to sue or bother to do so. I am 100% building a monster hackintosh 2.0 if this comes through. Share thoughts! 

update: Alexander Gomez (creator of dune case) has been kind enough to show up and share unique information about the case internal design and answer questions 

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/dunecase/dune-case

Capture.PNG

i7 3770k - sandisk ssd -evga gtx 660 - kraken x61 - 16gb corsair vengeance - nzxt h440 - logitech g502 proteus core- hackintosh = badass  

"Superior Thermal Dynamics"

I thought the Mac Pro's case had "garbage performance with thermal throttling" and looked like a "trash bin", hehe.

I guess more and more people are learning the truth about this engineering marvel now that companies are starting to copy it.

Edit: Unfortunately it appears to be lacking the unified heatsink at the center though - the best feature of the original case.

~ Specs bellow ~

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit [UEFI]
CPU: Intel i7-5820k Haswell-E @ 4.5-4.7Ghz (1.366-1.431V) | CPU COOLER: Corsair H110 280mm AIO w/ 2x Noctua NF-A14 IPPC-2000 IP67 | RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 32Gb (8x4Gb) DDR4 @ 2666mhz CL15 | MOBO: MSI X99S Gaming 7 ATX | GPU: MSI GTX 1080 Gaming (flashed "X") @ 2138-2151Mhz (locked 1.093V) | PSU: Corsair HX850i 850W 80+ Platinum | SSD's: Samsung Pro 950 256Gb & Samsung Evo 850 500Gb | HDD: WD Black Series 6Tb + 3Tb | AUDIO: Realtek ALC1150 HD Audio | CASE: NZXT Phantom 530 | MONITOR: LG 34UC79G 34" 2560x1080p @144hz & BenQ XL2411Z 24" 1080p @144hz | SPEAKERS: Logitech Z-5450 Digital 5.1 Speaker System | HEADSET: Sennheiser GSP 350 | KEYBOARD: Corsair Strafe MX Cherry Red | MOUSE: Razer Deathadder Chroma | UPS: PowerWalker VI 2000 LCD

Mac Pro 2,1 (flashed) OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan 64-bit (NAS, Plex, HTTP Server, Game Servers) [R.I.P]
CPUs: 2x Intel Xeon X5365 @ 3.3Ghz (FSB OC) | RAM: OWC 16Gb (8x2Gb) ECC-FB DDR2 @ 1333mhz | GPU: AMD HD5870 (flashed) | HDDs: WD Black Series 3Tb, 2x WD Black Series 1Tb, WD Blue 2Tb | UPS: Fortron EP1000

Hey guys, thanks for the positive comments on this case :) Its been a year in the making and after four prototypes we finalized the case. I know there has been concerns on how it is all put together. Please look at this image is it gives you a better idea on how the thermals work. We didn't just throw standard parts into a cylindrical case .. no .. First we measured the standard parts and designed it to look good in the case while maintain good thermal dynamics and good cable management. 

psu-unveil-1.png

I hope that helps to give you an idea of how the thermals work and cable management.

Alexander Gomez

GPU.png

33 minutes ago, andy335e92 said:

gn to the black glossy finish, even the promo bio video on the kickstarter page was made just like an apple product video. All the way down to the icons they use on the kickstarter page. BUT I haven't been more excited for a case in a wh

Keep up the good work!.. Question if it doesn't reach full goal on kickstarter will you still offer this case to purchase somehow? 

i7 3770k - sandisk ssd -evga gtx 660 - kraken x61 - 16gb corsair vengeance - nzxt h440 - logitech g502 proteus core- hackintosh = badass  

Just now, andy335e92 said:

Keep up the good work!.. Question if it doesn't reach full goal on kickstarter will you still offer this case to purchase somehow? 

Ofcourse ... I love designing cases and I really want to make high quality cases for the custom builder .. There is life after Kickstarter and there is so much interest in this that I think it validates that people want something new for the PC with high quality build and not your standard Sheet metal like most manufactures... So the simple answer is Yes ... we are here to stay and I hope we can get one to you asap :)

8 minutes ago, dunecase said:

Ofcourse ... I love designing cases and I really want to make high quality cases for the custom builder .. There is life after Kickstarter and there is so much interest in this that I think it validates that people want something new for the PC with high quality build and not your standard Sheet metal like most manufactures... So the simple answer is Yes ... we are here to stay and I hope we can get one to you asap :)

I really want one of thoes cases...

UNfortunatly, I dont have money to go down to ITX, as all my parts are ATX with a custom loop.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Just now, spwath said:

I really want one of thoes cases...

UNfortunatly, I dont have money to go down to ITX, as all my parts are ATX with a custom loop.

Actually when I started this project it was ATX but the proportions didn't look right .. It was just too tall

Stage-1.jpg

Stage-2.jpg

25 minutes ago, dunecase said:

awesome! thanks for answering, I'm sure more people will ask questions and offer feedback if you stick around here

3 hours ago, dunecase said:

Actually when I started this project it was ATX but the proportions didn't look right .. It was just too tall

Well you could send me that atx prototype if you want :)

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

5 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

I have an idea.... I wonder what would happen if you were to make a larger one and cover the outside in heatsinks....

Maybe you could make a completely passively cooled machine...

Thats actually not a bad idea but the case would get very hot on the outside right??

4 minutes ago, dunecase said:

Thats actually not a bad idea but the case would get very hot on the outside right??

It would get pretty hot but the idea here is to cool the PC without using any fans. @Stefan1024 has done it, but not in a cylindrical shape. His was, for lack of better terms, a box :P

3 minutes ago, dunecase said:
10 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

I have an idea.... I wonder what would happen if you were to make a larger one and cover the outside in heatsinks....

Maybe you could make a completely passively cooled machine...

I think it would at least be pretty warm to the touch, it's a cool idea but I honestly idk how many people would be interested in it. But as a unique system build it's badass, someone did that in last month's build of the month 

1 minute ago, dunecase said:

really thats cool do you have a link???

Stefan will be here in a bit, because I mentioned him, he can tell you all about it :P

I am going to be attempting a passively cooled system under 100 bucks

11 minutes ago, dunecase said:

Yeah, i saw the build log, he will link it soon, it was pretty cool, but massive. But dead silent

15 minutes ago, dunecase said:

Here:

and another one

Tada here I am ;)

But I'm on the phone so I'm quite limitted. i see the others have already liked the builds. Also the appropriate therm for the design is cube and not box :) If you have some questions on passive cooling feel free to ask.

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil

Yeah I really like what you did .. it looks cool .. Man that is really different and when you think about it it makes sense... Kudos to you mate ... 

What about the outward design .. anyway to do something different there ??

Man just finish reading that .. that is some build .. i must of been hard work there buddy

The desing is dicdated by the heat sinks used. And all (affordable) once I found are rectangular. But if you don't use such hing power parts you have more freedom for the design process. You could use two halve cyrcle shaped heat sinks to make a zylinder bu expect the cost to explode compared to a rectangular design. Or you work with heat pipes and attached finns, they can be formed to different shapes more cost efficient than extruded heat sinks.

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil

1 minute ago, Stefan1024 said:

The desing is dicdated by the heat sinks used. And all (affordable) once I found are rectangular. But if you don't use such hing power parts you have more freedom for the design process. You could use two halve cyrcle shaped heat sinks to make a zylinder bu expect the cost to explode compared to a rectangular design. Or you work with heat pipes and attached finns, they can be formed to different shapes more cost efficient than extruded heat sinks.

I feel you on the extruded part .. to do this case we combine extrude, bend, form, CNC and will be doing some d case moulds ... man its gets expensive .. but once put into production it should make everything cheaper and affordable .. Seems like you have some manufacturing experience or CAD??

Just now, dunecase said:

I feel you on the extruded part .. to do this case we combine extrude, bend, form, CNC and will be doing some d case moulds ... man its gets expensive .. but once put into production it should make everything cheaper and affordable .. Seems like you have some manufacturing experience or CAD??

I do believe he has quite a bit of experience with both. I have not done much with manufacturing but I have had some work done with CAD software