rMBP 13 vs XPS 13 vs Razer Blade

Hi guys, I am thinking of getting a new laptop (preferably 13 inches) I was wondering whether I should go for the retina macbook pro 13 or if i should get a xps 13 or a razer blade. 

I currently do photo editing, school work, and such (not much video to deal with) on my laptop, but now I would rather go for portability, since I have a new desktop at home. 

Ideally, under 2000 CAD for the laptop would be great, I was really wondering which laptop would give me the best performance for the price. Razer is the only one with discrete GPU, but im not looking to play any real games my laptop, so doesn't matter. 

Old computer had 8 GB ram, so I think that is the minimum, not sure if 16 GB ram would make a big deal w/ performance. (I know multitasking especially with photoshop requires more ram) 

As for CPU, im not sure how big of a difference a quad core and dual core CPU would be, anyone done any tests at all?

Please share any comments below, thank you very much (I don't mind waiting a while, if a new macbook pro comes out before the end of the year.

Cheers

I'd either go for the XPS 13 or the rMBP depending on which OS you prefer. Performance-wise the two end up being very similar. 

/I would definitely step up to 16gb of RAM though. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

XPS13

no GPU means you will get awesome battery life, especially if you go for the 1080p model

im using a dual core 4 thread i5 and 8GB of ram and performance is very good in photoshop, sketchup, chrome, and flstudio

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

XPS13

no GPU means you will get awesome battery life, especially if you go for the 1080p model

im using a dual core 4 thread i5 and 8GB of ram and performance is very good in photoshop, sketchup, chrome, and flstudio

how many gigahertz is your i5?

12 minutes ago, coolmango71 said:

how many gigahertz is your i5?

2.7GHz i5 5200U

i think the 2016 model comes with the 6200U though so even better

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I had an xps 13 with the i5 5200u, 8gb ram, and the 3200x1800 display which was a beast and it would get 6-8 hours of battery life. My friend with the same spec but 1080p easily gets 12 hours+. Battery life on the 1080 model is insane.

XPS 13 :) because I love the dell engineering of this laptop and light as well

the i5 6200u is 2.3 to 2.8ghz and SSD  i recommend the 256gb or more and 8gb of ram great for ultraportable editing and office use

I've faced with the same choice (powerful desktop at home, and I need ultrabook for work and study).  

XPS 13 owners, there are some complains about it's manufacturing issues, like dead pixels, dead battery, etc. Do you had something like that? I really don't want to get such issues when I buy my XPS 13, because I'm going to send it oversea and sending back will cost a lot.