I need a wifi solution for my house =/

Junior_Zytkowski

Hey guys, how y'all doing?

So, here is the problem, I have a very weak and totally regretable d-link dl 524 router here in my place and I recenlty got a new pc

I'm looking forward to put my pc on another room, my bedroom is kinda full of stuff right now, so I thought about another room I have here, it's two 13,5cm brick walls away from the router, and the signal barely gets there...

I wanted to use wifi so I don't have to bother with cables and things like that.

Can you guys help me find a suitable solution for this?  I don't mean to change the router from its original place, so maybe just put up an AP or something? or just a decent router would do the job?

Thank you so much guys, aprecciate your help!

Do some googling on Ethernet over power... It involves a few milliseconds of latency but honestly its not noticeable.

And it will do the job you need for a cheaper price.

My new Gaming PC.

Spoiler

Case: Coolmaster CM690III, Motherboard: Asus Z170-AR, CPU: I5 6600K 4.6Ghz, OS: Windows 10 HP 64 bit, RAM: X1 8GB G.Skill DDR4, GPU: Galax GTX 960 (Overclocked), Storage: Kingston V300 SSD 120GB(OS), X2 1TB 5400RPM HDD, 500GB Samsung 7200RPM HD, PSU: Cougar RS 750 Watt, Peripherals: Logitech G910 Orion Spark,  World Of Tanks Edition 2014 DeathAdder Razer Mouse And Mouse Pad, Sennheiser HD 518. , Palsonic tftv6042fHD, Logitech Z506 5.1 Surround Sound Speakers

Don't buy powerlines.

"In the middle of every difficulty lies opportunity."
- Albert Einstein

are you on a 2.5 or 5ghz signal? maybe get some bomb ass directional antennas or get a decent router and put it betwen rooms. 

_/ V\
                  / /  /
                <<    |
                ,/    ]
              ,/      ]
            ,/        |
           /    \  \ /
          /      | | |
    ______|   __/_/| |
   /_______\______}\__}  

Spoiler

[i7-7700k@5Ghz | MSI Z270 M7 | 16GB 3000 GEIL EVOX | STRIX ROG 1060 OC 6G | EVGA G2 650W | ROSEWILL B2 SPIRIT | SANDISK 256GB M2 | 4x 1TB Seagate Barracudas RAID 10 ]

[i3-4360 | mini-itx potato | 4gb DDR3-1600 | 8tb wd red | 250gb seagate| Debian 9 ]

[Dell Inspiron 15 5567] 

Get a powerline - the performance degredation will be negligible if you don't need anything greater than about 100 mbps which most people don't have anyways.

Of course the best and easiest solution is to run a long ethernet cable to your room.

WiFi is definitely not going to work.

Primary Build: i7-4790 · 16GB Hynix DDR3-1600 · Sapphire Tri-X R9 390x · NZXT S340 · Win10 Pro · Seagate Barracuda 1TB T_T

Portable: 2015 Retina Macbook Pro 13" · i5-5257u · 512GB PCIe SSD · Intel Iris 6100 T_T

If my post helped you, please rate it!

Just now, sushisharkjl said:

Get a powerline - the performance degredation will be negligible if you don't need anything greater than about 100 mbps which most people don't have anyways.

Of course the best and easiest solution is to run a long ethernet cable to your room.

Do you have experiences with power-lines?

- Albert Einstein

I would disagree with you, I have been using power line adapters for years. I have never had a problem with them and they supply a very good connection to area's in my house that is just plan not accessible with wireless.

My new Gaming PC.

Spoiler

Case: Coolmaster CM690III, Motherboard: Asus Z170-AR, CPU: I5 6600K 4.6Ghz, OS: Windows 10 HP 64 bit, RAM: X1 8GB G.Skill DDR4, GPU: Galax GTX 960 (Overclocked), Storage: Kingston V300 SSD 120GB(OS), X2 1TB 5400RPM HDD, 500GB Samsung 7200RPM HD, PSU: Cougar RS 750 Watt, Peripherals: Logitech G910 Orion Spark,  World Of Tanks Edition 2014 DeathAdder Razer Mouse And Mouse Pad, Sennheiser HD 518. , Palsonic tftv6042fHD, Logitech Z506 5.1 Surround Sound Speakers

Just now, Mcmole said:

I would disagree with you, I have been using power line adapters for years. I have never had a problem with them and they supply a very good connection to area's in my house that is just plan not accessible with wireless.

Which one did your purchase?

- Albert Einstein

Just now, LittleCarrot said:

Do you have experiences with power-lines?

Yes... have you? Mine is perfectly fine and can sustain connections up to 100mbps and sometimes 300+ on LAN without appliances on.

Primary Build: i7-4790 · 16GB Hynix DDR3-1600 · Sapphire Tri-X R9 390x · NZXT S340 · Win10 Pro · Seagate Barracuda 1TB T_T

Portable: 2015 Retina Macbook Pro 13" · i5-5257u · 512GB PCIe SSD · Intel Iris 6100 T_T

14 minutes ago, Mcmole said:

Do some googling on Ethernet over power... It involves a few milliseconds of latency but honestly its not noticeable.

And it will do the job you need for a cheaper price.

1 minute ago, sushisharkjl said:

he said he doesn't want to mess with cables, wifi can easily cut it, he just needs a better router in between the rooms. 

_/ V\
                  / /  /
                <<    |
                ,/    ]
              ,/      ]
            ,/        |
           /    \  \ /
          /      | | |
    ______|   __/_/| |
   /_______\______}\__}  

Spoiler

[i7-7700k@5Ghz | MSI Z270 M7 | 16GB 3000 GEIL EVOX | STRIX ROG 1060 OC 6G | EVGA G2 650W | ROSEWILL B2 SPIRIT | SANDISK 256GB M2 | 4x 1TB Seagate Barracudas RAID 10 ]

[i3-4360 | mini-itx potato | 4gb DDR3-1600 | 8tb wd red | 250gb seagate| Debian 9 ]

[Dell Inspiron 15 5567] 

1 minute ago, RedWulf said:

he said he doesn't want to mess with cables, wifi can easily cut it, he just needs a better router in between the rooms. 

25 minutes ago, Junior_Zytkowski said:

it's two 13,5cm brick walls away from the router

4 minutes ago, sushisharkjl said:

Yes... have you? Mine is perfectly fine and can sustain connections up to 100mbps and sometimes 300+ on LAN without appliances on.

I get 180 (UP) and 10(down)[WIFI]. With the powerline I got 50 (up) and 10(down). My house was built [Protection]. Quite recent for houses.

- Albert Einstein

1 minute ago, cdsboy2000 said:

I've used them before and they worked fine for me.

What your speed?

- Albert Einstein

9 minutes ago, LittleCarrot said:

I get 180 (UP) and 10(down)[WIFI]. With the powerline I got 50 (up) and 10(down). My house was built [#redaction is cool]. Quite recent for houses.

And mine was built in [a very racist time period]; that logic is irrelevant if you've got hardy wiring which a lot of newer houses skimp on.

Speeds also depend on how many high-power devices you've got on the power as well.

I'm getting 100-300 symmetrical on LAN, and 50 down and 5 up which is the same as what I get on WiFi or a direct Ethernet connection. I use a TP-Link AV500.

4 minutes ago, LittleCarrot said:

Which one did your purchase?

I can't remember the model number  (can can't find out easily would turning off my modem and so on)

But Ive always bought D-Link..

My new Gaming PC.

Spoiler

@Junior_Zytkowski

Are you able to provide a floorplan as well as the WiFi specs of the devices attempting to connect? Chances are switching to a 5Ghz network with better placement of the wireless router will be beneficial.

Have you done a wireless scan of the 2.4 & 5 ghz bandwidths to see if it's a simple channel issue?

Just now, sushisharkjl said:

And mine was built in 1957; that logic is irrelevant if you've got hardy wiring which a lot of newer houses skimp on.

I'm getting 100-300 symmetrical on LAN, and 50 down and 5 up which is the same as what I get on WiFi or a direct Ethernet connection. I use a TP-Link AV500.

Can you remove when my house was built in your post?

- Albert Einstein

Just now, LittleCarrot said:

Can you remove when my house was built in your post?

Sorry what? 

Just now, Windspeed36 said:

@Junior_Zytkowski

Are you able to provide a floorplan as well as the WiFi specs of the devices attempting to connect? Chances are switching to a 5Ghz network with better placement of the wireless router will be beneficial.

Have you done a wireless scan of the 2.4 & 5 ghz bandwidths to see if it's a simple channel issue?

From my expeirnce 5ghz actually has trouble with walls vs 2.5 ghz. But my neighbors router makes it through 2 brick walls, 2 sheet rock walls, and a 200 foot yard and i still get 2 bars off him xD

_/ V\
                  / /  /
                <<    |
                ,/    ]
              ,/      ]
            ,/        |
           /    \  \ /
          /      | | |
    ______|   __/_/| |
   /_______\______}\__}  

Spoiler

[Dell Inspiron 15 5567]