Help with correct Domain setup

Swinzon

Hello! I am planning to make a local domain on my network, but, I know the way to set it up, but not with correct IP`s on the server and so on.
I read that I need to set up a static IP, but what should the IP be? And DNS, I also read that adding google`s DNS is good in case my DNS goes south it`ll have a backup DNS.

When that is done, my serves makes a domain network, in my case if I make it "Strix.Local", I also want to add my Media PC to the server, but not with a domain user account. Only join the PC into the domain, is that possible?

And I also have it set up as a NAS server and WDS, there are at least 3 PC`s in the house that`ll not join the domain including my school PC which is already a part of my school`s domain. 
The school PC I wan`t to add only the network drives, and nothing else. Is it possible when the server and the school PC is a part of two different domains and the server is on it own local domain network? 
And how will Windows Deployment work on other PC`s which isn`t a part of the domain?

If you are wanting to setup Active Directory you should never use .local as this was never good practice and conflicts with bonjour services. Even if you don't have or plan to have Apple devices on your network just don't use .local just in case.

Static IP for the domain controller can be what ever private IP address you like, your choice.

Windows Deployment Services isn't reliant on Active Directory, it does integrate but only on a basic level and isn't fundamental to it's function. Joining computers to the domain during imaging using WDS requires answer files etc, you'll likely need to do some more reading up on this topic.

Also running other services such as NAS from the same server/OS as Active Directory isn't recommended, you need to make changes so security policies that are applied by default to domain controllers else network speed is rather slow and very CPU intensive, security wise it's just not a good idea. Create your domain controller in it's own VM.

3 minutes ago, leadeater said:

If you are wanting to setup Active Directory you should never use .local as this was never good practice and conflicts with bonjour services. Even if you don't have or plan to have Apple devices on your network just don't use .local just in case.

Static IP for the domain controller can be what ever private IP address you like, your choice.

Windows Deployment Services isn't reliant on Active Directory, it does integrate but only on a basic level and isn't fundamental to it's function. Joining computers to the domain during imaging using WDS requires answer files etc, you'll likely need to do some more reading up on this topic.

Also running other services such as NAS from the same server/OS as Active Directory isn't recommended, you need to make changes so security policies that are applied by default to domain controllers else network speed is rather slow and very CPU intensive, security wise it's just not a good idea. Create your domain controller in it's own VM.

Okey, thanks for good answer. Then I will not make a domain! :P

Just now, Swinzon said:

Okey, thanks for good answer. Then I will not make a domain! :P

You still may be able to do it with what you have, plenty of free hypervisors out there so you can create a domain controller VM and a second one for everything else. For the domain just make up something else to use, again can be anything i.e. Strix.lan or Strix.lab