Loud VS450..

Allshevski

So, as in the topic, my PSU is loud, very loud. I can hear rattling sound even on idle. And it seems like it's noisier than both stock case fan and intel cooler.. Is there anything I could do about it? Is it normal? If not, could you recommend me any good 600 or so watts PSU? I would be more than happy if it could be fully modular.. And quiet, maybe passive or at least semi-passive. Or have silent fan.. I don't quite understand Corsair cheap fan could move more air and be quieter..

I need S340. But more Define S'ish

4 minutes ago, Allshevski said:

-snip-

Sounds like a noisy bearing. You could try some WD40 (or similar) to grease it if the PSU is no longer in warranty and can't be returned/repaired.

I had the same problem with a new corsair PSU but sorted it with some lub (couldn't be bothered going through the RMA process.

The VS is the bottom of the barrel for Corsair PSUs, I'd get something like a EVGA G2 or if you can't afford it a XFX TS or Seasonic S12-||.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

My PC is loud as well and I have the Corsair VS 450W Power Supply. I didn't suspect the PSU to be loud, but your thread made me check it. But in my case it's the stock intel cooler

As for the Corsair part I have the HX 850 (Yes i know this is more than you want) but it has run like a charm and often makes no noise when under load. Most of the time the fan doesnt spin at all i would recommend a Corsair PSU 

• CPUi5-4460
  • MotherboardAsus ROG Maximus VII Hero
  • RAMG. Skills Ripjaws 4x4
  • GPUXFX Radeon R9 280 Black
  • CaseNZXT Noctis 450
  • Storage120 GB Kingston SSD; 1TB HDD
  • PSUCorsair HX 850 GOLD
  • Display(s)LG 34UC97
  • CoolingCooler Master V8 GTS
  • KeyboardRazer Blackwidow
  • MouseMad Catz R.A.T. 7
  • Operating SystemWin 10

1 minute ago, Smitty07314 said:

As for the Corsair part I have the HX 850 (Yes i know this is more than you want) but it has run like a charm and often makes no noise when under load. Most of the time the fan doesnt spin at all i would recommend a Corsair PSU 

+1 can recommend HX series PSU's :D My HX650 has been a pleasure to own, truly a great unit, did I mention it's a SeaSonic OEM?

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

8 minutes ago, Castdeath97 said:

The VS is the bottom of the barrel for Corsair PSUs, I'd get something like a EVGA G2 or if you can't afford it a XFX TS or Seasonic S12-||.

Okay, lesson learned, never build with a budget..

Just now, Allshevski said:

Okay, lesson learned, never build with a budget..

Huh? What do you mean?

Pascal laptops guide

11 minutes ago, EdInk said:

Sounds like a noisy bearing. You could try some WD40 (or similar) to grease it if the PSU is no longer in warranty and can't be returned/repaired.

I had the same problem with a new corsair PSU but sorted it with some lub (couldn't be bothered going through the RMA process.

It's on the warranty and I don't feel like disassembling it...

3 minutes ago, Swndlr said:

+1 can recommend HX series PSU's :D My HX650 has been a pleasure to own, truly a great unit, did I mention it's a SeaSonic OEM?

6 minutes ago, Smitty07314 said:

12 minutes ago, Castdeath97 said:

They are expensiv :<

XFX and Seasonic options sound interesting, but.. I won't cheap out on PSU, not this time.. Only thing is that I don't want that first tier'ish ones, just modular. And silent.

4 minutes ago, Castdeath97 said:

Huh? What do you mean?

I literally had no money and wanted to finish my build before Christmas for some reason.. Saved $3 on a case without window... Hope you understand.. And now have to change every single component...

what works for you is all that matters. Saving money here and there is worth it so having a PSU that makes a little more noise is not the end of the world. Using a computer that you spent your lunch money on would be no fun. Using a computer and having lunch is much better

• CPUi5-4460
  • MotherboardAsus ROG Maximus VII Hero
  • RAMG. Skills Ripjaws 4x4
  • GPUXFX Radeon R9 280 Black
  • CaseNZXT Noctis 450
  • Storage120 GB Kingston SSD; 1TB HDD
  • PSUCorsair HX 850 GOLD
  • Display(s)LG 34UC97
  • CoolingCooler Master V8 GTS
  • KeyboardRazer Blackwidow
  • MouseMad Catz R.A.T. 7
  • Operating SystemWin 10

3 minutes ago, Smitty07314 said:

what works for you is all that matters. Saving money here and there is worth it so having a PSU that makes a little more noise is not the end of the world. Using a computer that you spent your lunch money on would be no fun. Using a computer and having lunch is much better

For me, I could starve for months only to have my PC look good and be silent.. And I regret that choice. Good case, no window, good PSU, a little bit noisy.. Good ram, but single stick doesn't look as awesome as at least 2 4GB ones.. Good motherboard, but only 2 controllable fan headers and no SLI possibility.. Good cooler, but no mounting options for newer sockets.. I'm tired.. But my noctua fans are on the way, I'm so happy ^^ Expensive, but I hope I won't regret the decision made..

31 minutes ago, Allshevski said:

It's on the warranty and I don't feel like disassembling it...

They are expensiv :<

XFX and Seasonic options sound interesting, but.. I won't cheap out on PSU, not this time.. Only thing is that I don't want that first tier'ish ones, just modular. And silent.

The TS and the S12-|| are no cheap options! There pretty good, look for other good PSUs here:

Pascal laptops guide

1 hour ago, Castdeath97 said:

The TS and the S12-|| are no cheap options! There pretty good, look for other good PSUs here:

Oh, okay, but they still are compared to the best of the best ones.. I'm just scared that I will waste my money once again for something that will not be perfect..

2 hours ago, Castdeath97 said:

And damn, that Seasonic one looks so sweet, and it's probably the cheapest.. But.. Damn, can handle only one GPU.. you know, 2 6-pin ones.. 

8 hours ago, Allshevski said:

And damn, that Seasonic one looks so sweet, and it's probably the cheapest.. But.. Damn, can handle only one GPU.. you know, 2 6-pin ones.. 

SLI isn't really that good, you would be better off getting a better single card, it has a lot of micro stuttering in some games:

Pascal laptops guide

55 minutes ago, Castdeath97 said:

SLI isn't really that good, you would be better off getting a better single card, it has a lot of micro stuttering in some games

But it looks good :D And I use a lot of CUDA accelerated software, so keeping a few older cards would be nice, they don't even have to be in SLI.. I know that I could sell them and buy a new one, but I would rather prefer to keep these cards..