Upgrade to 7970 now or wait for Maxwell?

TechSage

7970 costs $299

There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.

maxwell, it introduces something new that we haven't seen before and will come in handy when 4K roles around and we NEED MOAR RAM

Wait for 9 series haha

PC: Corsair C70 Arctic, FX 9370, Corsair H80i, Gigabyte 990fxa-ud3, Corsair Vengence 16gb, Palit JetStream GTX 970, OCZ Vertex 4 128gb and Western Digital Blue 1Tb + 500gb, Antec Gamer 520w

Peripherals: Logitech G19 and SteelSeries Sensei RAW

Toshiba L50-A: i7 4700mq, 8gb, 1TB HDD, GT 740M 2gb

If you can wait it would be best to wait for Maxwell, since you will see the 9XXX series and the massive discounts on the GTX 700 series if maxwell is too expensive and you don't want the 9XXX series.

Wait for the 9970, not Maxwell...

If he can wait for Maxwell, he should because chances are, the gtx800 series is faster than the 9000 series.

Wait fo the 9970 to be announced then decide what to do. As far as i am aware Maxwell is a while off.

In saying that $299 is a good price for the card. 

|i5 3570k @4.4Ghz | Asus Maximus V Gene | 8gb Corsair XMS3 | 2 x MSI HD7970 OC @ 1175mhz | 512gb Crucial M4 | Corsair AX750 | Fractal Design Define Mini | Dell P2416D 

If he can wait for Maxwell, he should because chances are, the gtx800 series is faster than the 9000 series.

Based on what information?

Im sure i saw a while back Nvidia is going to be focusing on performance/watt. Even if they do get a better product they probably wont ship it (much like the kepler cards).

|i5 3570k @4.4Ghz | Asus Maximus V Gene | 8gb Corsair XMS3 | 2 x MSI HD7970 OC @ 1175mhz | 512gb Crucial M4 | Corsair AX750 | Fractal Design Define Mini | Dell P2416D 

the rumors about a q1 maxwell are bull. it's 20nm and tsmc cant fab that yet, and wont be able to till late summer of 2014.

Daily Driver:

Case: Red Prodigy CPU: i5 3570K @ 4.3 GHZ GPU: Powercolor PCS+ 290x @1100 mhz MOBO: Asus P8Z77-I CPU Cooler: NZXT x40 RAM: 8GB 2133mhz AMD Gamer series Storage: A 1TB WD Blue, a 500GB WD Blue, a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB

never wait because something is always right around the corner. if pc ppl waited for the next thing they would never actually pull the trigger and buy anything.

going off your sig, i'd say if you got a 7970 now, you would hardly see the benefit of it.

I'd hold off on the 7970 now, and pick up a new board, chip and Ram, then see what price the 9000 series come out at, if they are two expensive, then pick up a 7970 as they will probably drop even further in price.

----Ryzen R9 5900X----X570 Aorus elite----Vetroo V5----240GB Kingston HyperX 3k----Samsung 250GB EVO840----512GB Kingston Nvme----3TB Seagate----4TB Western Digital Green----8TB Seagate----32GB Patriot Viper 4 3200Mhz CL 16 ----Power Color Red dragon 5700XT----Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl ----Corsair RM850w----

Yeah, I'd say that 9000 (or R2/3/749?) series is close enough to wait for (based on rumours), but as has been said there's no point waiting for Maxwell, because you'd likely get to the Maxwell launch and then find that the 10000 (?) series is being rumoured as much as Maxwell is atm.

Should I wait for Maxwell or wait till 2050?

Seriously, if the 7970 performs well for your gaming needs just get it, why play the waiting game?

CoolerMaster CM 690 II Basic | Intel i7-2600 | CoolerMaster Hyper 212+ 2x Zotac GTX 1070 AMP! Edition

Asus P8Z77-V LK | 2 x 4GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600MHz CL9 | SeaSonic M12ii 850W 80+ Bronze Crucial M4 128GB

i would wait till 9970, it should be coming pretty soon. maxwell is a while away

FX 6300 | Sapphire 7770 | G-Skill Ares 8GB | WD Blue 1TB | ASUS M5A78L-M

Tritton Kunai | Logitech Proteus Core G502 | Razer Blackwidow Tournament 

If you need a card now, the HD 7970 http://amzn.to/17OYLI6 isn't a bad option at it's low price but if you can wait, you'd probably not regret it.

Intel Core i7-8700K @ 4.8GHz | Corsair H110i GTX | EVGA RTX 2080 XC | Asus ROG Maximus XI | Intel M.2 nVME SSD 1TB | Samsung 850 EVO 2X2TB | 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z 3200MHz CL14 RAM | EVGA SuperNova GS 1050W | Kept cool & quiet in a Fractal Design Define R5 Window with all Noctua fans

Like everyone says maxwell is a ways off. If you can hold wait for the 9xxx series and then pick what you want. If it is a matter of money get the 7970 thats a good deal for that card.

My Rig "Corsair air 540, MSI Z87-G45, i5 4670k, EVGA ACX 780, Gskill sniper 2x8gb 1866 memory, Corsair CX500m modular 80+ bronze, corsiar h100i, toshiba 1.5tb HDD." / Peripherals "Acer H226HQLbid Black 21.5" (Main monitor), Acer S200HLAbd Black 20" (auxiliary), Razer blackwidow ultimate 2013, razer naga 2013, razer goliathus 444x355 speed edition, Sennheiser HD8 DJs"

Based on what information?

Im sure i saw a while back Nvidia is going to be focusing on performance/watt. Even if they do get a better product they probably wont ship it (much like the kepler cards).

With the release of the 9970 (if rumors are true), Titan performance isn't worth $1000 USD anymore, and it isn't such a big deal. Based on the pattern that's been going on between Nvidia and AMD, I'm guessing the gtx880 will be faster than the 9970. (There's only a 5% difference between the gtx780 and 9970 anyway)

He is the hero this forum deserves but not the one it needs right now.So we'll hunt him because he can take it because he is not our hero he is a silent guardian 

a watchful protector A Dark Knight

With the release of the 9970 (if rumors are true), Titan performance isn't worth $1000 USD anymore, and it isn't such a big deal. Based on the pattern that's been going on between Nvidia and AMD, I'm guessing the gtx880 will be faster than the 9970. (There's only a 5% difference between the gtx780 and 9970 anyway)

So what you are saying is wait an undisclosed period of time for something that you are guessing may be faster than an already unreleased product that there is no benchmarks of. That is bad advice for two reasons. One you are basing it on assumptions and guessing which could mean you are completely wrong with your assessment. Secondly by the time Maxwell is released we will be waiting on AMDs next gen cards which will just be around the corner. You could literally wait for ever on the next best thing and never buy.

So what you are saying is wait an undisclosed period of time for something that you are guessing may be faster than an already unreleased product that there is no benchmarks of. That is bad advice for two reasons. One you are basing it on assumptions and guessing which could mean you are completely wrong with your assessment. Secondly by the time Maxwell is released we will be waiting on AMDs next gen cards which will just be around the corner. You could literally wait for ever on the next best thing and never buy.

Are you kidding me? Of course I'm guessing.

This isn't necessarily bad advice because why wouldn't the gtx880 be faster than the 9970? Is it too much to ask that the gtx880 be at least 10% faster than the gtx780? Graphics cards usually have a cycle of 1-2 years so I wouldn't expect the 9000 series to be replaced soon.

Why not just wait a few months for the 9xxx to come out and pick up a 7970 on the cheap from ebay. Save a shit ton of money, enough performance to play any game currently out (and likely play most games in the next 2 years on higher settings), and you can stop the stupid cycle of waiting for what comes next.

Primary:

Intel i5 4670K (3.8 GHz) | ASRock Extreme 4 Z87 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical LP 2x8GB | Gigabyte GTX980ti | Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 240GB | Corsair RM 850W | Nanoxia Deep Silence 1| Ducky Shine 3 | Corsair m95 | 2x Monoprice 1440p IPS Displays | Altec Lansing VS2321 | Sennheiser HD558 | Antlion ModMic

HTPC:

Intel NUC i5 D54250WYK | 4GB Kingston 1600MHz DDR3L | 256GB Crucial M4 mSATA SSD | Logitech K400

NAS:

Thecus n4800 | WD White Label 8tb x4 in raid 5

Phones:

Oneplux 6t (Mint), Nexus 5x 8.1.0 (wifi only), Nexus 4 (wifi only)

Are you kidding me? Of course I'm guessing.

This isn't necessarily bad advice because why wouldn't the gtx880 be faster than the 9970? Is it too much to ask that the gtx880 be at least 10% faster than the gtx780? Graphics cards usually have a cycle of 1-2 years so I wouldn't expect the 9000 series to be replaced soon.

For starters we do not know how fast the 9970 is going to be. It may perform amazingly well.

Secondly the only information we have about maxwell that is reliable (that i know about) is it is going to have better performance/watt. 

Yes the 880 will be faster than the 780 but that does not mean its going to be faster than the 9970. Your just speculating.

As for the release cycle, i think you will find that the 700 series has not been out for 1 year yet and there is already talks of replacing it early next year. Absolutely nothing is certain.

Good advice is not based upon speculation. For example if you look at the number of people who said for for Haswell, its going to be way better than ivybridge. Oh look it inst that much better, definitely not worth the years wait.

For starters we do not know how fast the 9970 is going to be. It may perform amazingly well.

Secondly the only information we have about maxwell that is reliable (that i know about) is it is going to have better performance/watt. 

Yes the 880 will be faster than the 780 but that does not mean its going to be faster than the 9970. Your just speculating.

As for the release cycle, i think you will find that the 700 series has not been out for 1 year yet and there is already talks of replacing it early next year. Absolutely nothing is certain.

Good advice is not based upon speculation. For example if you look at the number of people who said for for Haswell, its going to be way better than ivybridge. Oh look it inst that much better, definitely not worth the years wait.

I never said it was "good" advice. On the other hand, there is no reason for AMD to release such an "amazing" GPU. If the 9970 is faster than the gtx780, they've done their job. In fact, if you look at previous patterns, they've done more than just "their job". It's now up to nvidia to release something better than the 9970, especially when there's so much pressure because the Titan was bested by AMD. Of course there will be talk of newer GPU, but it probably won't launch soon, because at this point, there's no need to.

You don't have to keep on repeating that I'm guessing.