WTF is this on my screen?

jodatechtips

I just got my super big (and pricey) monitor  - an Acer 34 inch ultrawide (freesync version, XR341CK) - and things were going smashingly until I noticed for the first time an artifact on the screen... *tum tum tummm*.

Check out the image below. 

Are these dead/jacked up pixels?? Do I/can I fix it somehow??? Should I return to manufacturer for a replacement? Keep in mind this is an IPS panel.

It's not a smudge or anything since I cannot wipe it away. For something that costs as much as it does you'd think they provide better quality. *sheesh*

bad pixels.png

bac pixels2.JPG

Its smaller than pixel, looks like a hair or a scratch.

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE

did you get it off of amazon? if so, send it straight back and get it somewhere else.

if you got it at an actually decent retailer, contact them and figure stuff out together.

that looks like you got someone else's return after they fucked up.

deep scratch, from a sharp tool. Or by some object hitting it.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Thanks for your feedback. That's a negative.... it's not a scratch and it's definitely not a hair. You can tell easily by looking at the area with the monitor turned off (I am working on uploading an image). It's definitely sub-surface.

47 minutes ago, manikyath said:

did you get it off of amazon? if so, send it straight back and get it somewhere else.

if you got it at an actually decent retailer, contact them and figure stuff out together.

that looks like you got someone else's return after they fucked up.

Yes, I got it from amazon. 

What's a retailer that actually cares about quality on products like these?

2 minutes ago, jodatechtips said:

Yes, I got it from amazon. 

What's a retailer that actually cares about quality on products like these?

someone more local to you than floaty cloudy amazon.

i prefer retailers that have their main office at least within the same country as myself.

Makes sense. Thanks.

I am working on sending it back for a refund.

Going back to the scratch theory... here is a side-by-side comparison showing the area with monitor on and off. The tape shows area of the artifact. Both were taken with flash coming from bottom at a very steep angle. Note the dust particles everywhere, these are invisible to the naked eye. Any physical imperfection on the screen would have been captured.

monitor on off comparison.png

53 minutes ago, jodatechtips said:

Makes sense. Thanks.

I am working on sending it back for a refund.

Going back to the scratch theory... here is a side-by-side comparison showing the area with monitor on and off. The tape shows area of the artifact. Both were taken with flash coming from bottom at a very steep angle. Note the dust particles everywhere, these are invisible to the naked eye. Any physical imperfection on the screen would have been captured.

[removed]

I wonder if it's some sort of separation of the panel at the pixel level. Have you tried to edit your right photo to make it artificially brighter to see if the oddity becomes more visible?

Scratch my idea. It's a hair that's on the inside of the panel. Probably occurred during the assembly process.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

I moved it!!! I flicked at it lightly with my nail and it frigging moved. I flicked and I flicked until it moved to the bottom and completely out of view. Maybe it was a piece of hair or something stuck under the front panel but before the pixels layer?! A manufacturing boo boo perhaps?

I can live with an occasional flicking if needed (and mentally flipping of acer). Time to do a thorough screen analysis. The things we gotta do for our first-world lifestyles, good grief.

Hope this post helps someone.

flick.JPG