• VMware ESXi
    • Microsoft Hyper-V
    • Proxmox
    • XenServer
    • KVM (what most Linux use)
    • different (please tell in answer)

7 hours ago, jasonvp said:

-snip-

Well Google for the majority of their servers are not virtualzed at all.

The cost of a decent virtual host does not change regardless of hypervisor, that is fact. What you need to be virtualized has the overwhelming impact of resources not the hypervisor.

You don't need to use the VMware GUI to do anything, you can use PowerCLI and other API's to integrate in to other products. You can also use VMware templates if you don't have all the automation tools to streamline with your change release process. There are cloud providers that use VMware, including VMware them selves.

ESXi will install on any workstation class or server class motherboard, something I have done many times. No business should ever use desktop chipset motherboards to do anything server related, end of story.

Your misinterpreting what I'm calling alternative. I didn't say KVM or Xen is alternative I said Nutanix is.

The only real valid argument against VMware is the license cost, the sole reason cloud providers do not use them.

As for command line, I can use that perfectly fine. I also create many scripts to do various tasks which is standard in any business. I even have programming experience in many different languages. Still you do not want to use command line day in and day out, just no.

These are all things you should actually know if you have worked in IT for any decent length of time and for a reasonable sized business.

VMware is not the answer to everything and the competing products are all great too, but at the hypervisor specific level none is clearly superior to anyone else.

14 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Still you do not want to use command line day in and day out, just no.

These are all things you should actually know if you have worked in IT for any decent length of time and for a reasonable sized business.

So I was going to let your post go until you said these two things.

First, you've no idea how old I am (older than you, almost certainly) nor any idea how long I've been in the industry (longer than you) nor even what industry I'm in (service provider, etc).  Simply put: I drive w/CLI.  My routers, my switches, my VMs, my hypervisors, my everything.  CLI.  It's vastly more efficient and has no overhead to it whatsoever.  And I learn more (still, to this day, after over 20+ years in the industry) than you will while you're busily pointing, clicking, and drooling with your GUI.

Enjoy your ESXi bubble.  It's gonna burst some day.

Editing Rig: Mac Pro 7,1

System Specs: 3.2GHz 16-core Xeon | 96GB ECC DDR4 | AMD Radeon Pro W6800X Duo | Lots of SSD and NVMe storage |

Audio: Universal Audio Apollo Thunderbolt-3 Interface |

Displays: 3 x LG 32UL950-W displays |

Gaming Rig: PC

System Specs:  Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme | AMD 7800X3D | 64GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 6000MHz RAM | NVidia 4090 FE card (OC'd) | Corsair AX1500i power supply | CaseLabs Magnum THW10 case (RIP CaseLabs ) |

Audio:  Sound Blaster AE-9 card | Mackie DL32R Mixer | Sennheiser HDV820 amp | Sennheiser HD820 phones | Rode Broadcaster mic |

Display: Asus PG32UQX 4K/144Hz displayBenQ EW3280U display

Cooling:  2 x EK 140 Revo D5 Pump/Res | EK Quantum Magnitude CPU block | EK 4090FE waterblock | AlphaCool 480mm x 60mm rad | AlphaCool 560mm x 60mm rad | 13 x Noctua 120mm fans | 8 x Noctua 140mm fans | 2 x Aquaero 6XT fan controllers |

4 hours ago, jasonvp said:

So I was going to let your post go until you said these two things.

First, you've no idea how old I am (older than you, almost certainly) nor any idea how long I've been in the industry (longer than you) nor even what industry I'm in (service provider, etc).  Simply put: I drive w/CLI.  My routers, my switches, my VMs, my hypervisors, my everything.  CLI.  It's vastly more efficient and has no overhead to it whatsoever.  And I learn more (still, to this day, after over 20+ years in the industry) than you will while you're busily pointing, clicking, and drooling with your GUI.

Enjoy your ESXi bubble.  It's gonna burst some day.

That is completely fine if you want to use CLI, that is how you want to do it. I don't, continue to do what you find best. Not everyone is going to agree on the same things and this will never change. Your also assuming I only ever use a GUI for every part of my job I do.

Having a superior view on how CLI is the best and anyone using a GUI is a lesser IT worker is not ok and unprofessional. Your attitude to a perfectly fine and accepted way of administering systems is just outright rude, this is the same reason for why I may also seem rude. Why should I take the time to put forward a respectful point of view if you yourself cannot.

For age, not an issue. I look at what people say. What you say is the same rubbish I hear from University graduates and/or the elitist unix community. I have no allegiance to VMware, if a better product comes along that can meet our business requirements and is cheaper then we will move to it. I have not said it is the best out there and everyone should only use VMware, only that it best suites me for what I do.

You spout the same lines I hear all the time from cloud vendors and is all complete nonsense. Every cloud feasibility study we have done and trialed costs more than what we can do our selves and this is ignoring the fact that these cloud provided resources would also be less reliable. Cloud service providors have more to worry about than anything I do, the first thing to go from shrinking budgets will be cloud plain and simple.