Skylake i7 or i5?

CorgiParade

I've pretty much decided on this build for my new computer. However, the one thing I HAVEN'T decided on is the CPU. I can't really decide whether I want an i7 or an i5. In fact, I'd appreciate if somebody could give me a better understanding on what kind of work an i7 would be better at than an i5. Some tell me the i7 is worth it, some tell me not to get it. The i5 saves me $130, the i7 gives my hyperthreading.

For pure gaming, the i5 is the best choice. Some people will recommend the i7 but I personally think the i5 will get the job done pretty well.

For workstation programs and applications, the i7 will be most beneficial with its hyperthreading, and will basically do most tasks faster than an i5.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

What are you doing with it? If its just single monitor gaming then i5 is perfect for it just like last gen. If you will be running other stuff in the background like if you are streaming or watching netflix at the same time then i7 might be better.

Just now, HKZeroFive said:

For pure gaming, the i5 is the best choice. Some people will recommend the i7 but I personally the i5 will get the job done.

For workstation programs and applications, the i7 will be most beneficial with its hyperthreading, and will basically do most tasks faster than an i5.

So if I'm performing a mix of  the two... Gaming with recording and video editing/rendering... Experimenting with random stuff...programming... Should I go for an i7?

4 minutes ago, CorgiParade said:

So if I'm performing a mix of  the two... Gaming with recording and video editing/rendering... Experimenting with random stuff...programming... Should I go for an i7?

I'd go i7 for those tasks.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

4 minutes ago, CorgiParade said:

Definitely i7 if you can then

13 minutes ago, CorgiParade said:

An i7 would make those things faster, if you have the money, and know that you will not just drop editing and rendering because you are experimenting, then go for the i7.

It also has a 200MHz higher turbo clock. 

EDIT: Fucking avast popup came up as I was typing, pressed "y" and it restarted my PC. Anyhow, you may have a non K CPU, but do consider a proper cooler for it. The stock cooler that comes with the non K skylake's isn't that good AFAIK. The good intel cooler is sold separately IIRC. 

Spoiler

Case Bitfenix Ghost, Mobo Asus Maximus VIII Ranger, CPU i7 6700K @4.2 Ghz cooled by Arctic cooling Freezer i30, (barely). GPU Nvidia GTX 970 Gigabyte G1 @1519Mhz core, RAM 16Gb Crucial Ballistix CL16 @2400Mhz. SSD 128GB Sandisk Ultra Plus as my OS drive. HDD's  1TB  Seagate ST31000524AS its OEM, 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 2x 500GB WDC Blue (RAID 0)

If it isn't working absolutely perfectly, according to all your assumptions, it is broken.

12 minutes ago, CorgiParade said:

I've pretty much decided on this build for my new computer. However, the one thing I HAVEN'T decided on is the CPU. I can't really decide whether I want an i7 or an i5. In fact, I'd appreciate if somebody could give me a better understanding on what kind of work an i7 would be better at than an i5. Some tell me the i7 is worth it, some tell me not to get it. The i5 saves me $130, the i7 gives my hyperthreading.

Keep in mind you need a cooler. You didnt have one on the build when I looked at it. The K cpus dont come with them this gen.

If you can afford it, try getting the 5820k for video recording and editing purposes. Doesn't cost much more than a quad core I7.

Linus is my fetish.

3 minutes ago, Hunter7263 said:

Keep in mind you need a cooler. You didnt have one on the build when I looked at it. The K cpus dont come with them this gen.

I, uh, don't have a K CPU man. 

If you were confused by the motherboard choice... It's for the RAM and XMP profiling, not the CPU. 

1 minute ago, CorgiParade said:

I, uh, don't have a K CPU man. 

If you were confused by the motherboard choice... It's for the RAM and XMP profiling, not the CPU. 

My bad I just missed the fact that the K wasnt there. Maybe my mind just glossed over it because I saw the Z170.

6 minutes ago, Bhav said:

If you can afford it, try getting the 5820k for video recording and editing purposes. Doesn't cost much more than a quad core I7.

Most of the time it does cost more, not to mention that the mobo's are more expensive most of the time. He would need to get a lower end mobo for the 5820k.

Spoiler

Case Bitfenix Ghost, Mobo Asus Maximus VIII Ranger, CPU i7 6700K @4.2 Ghz cooled by Arctic cooling Freezer i30, (barely). GPU Nvidia GTX 970 Gigabyte G1 @1519Mhz core, RAM 16Gb Crucial Ballistix CL16 @2400Mhz. SSD 128GB Sandisk Ultra Plus as my OS drive. HDD's  1TB  Seagate ST31000524AS its OEM, 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 2x 500GB WDC Blue (RAID 0)

If it isn't working absolutely perfectly, according to all your assumptions, it is broken.

Just now, UnknownEngineer said:

Most of the time it does cost more, not to mention that the mobo's are more expensive most of the time. He would need to get a lower end mobo for the 5820k.

If he has a microcenter its actually cheaper to get the 5820k with an equivalent board by about 20 bucks. I looked into that since I'm looking into a new build.

2 minutes ago, Hunter7263 said:

If he has a microcenter its actually cheaper to get the 5820k with an equivalent board by about 20 bucks. I looked into that since I'm looking into a new build.

Microcenter is an "if" though, considering how the intended prices of the skylake CPU's and mobo's are about 40$ lower it should be easier to find a store with cheaper skylake parts instead. Unless said store still has largely inflated skylake prices because they bough a massive shipment when they released.

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, UnknownEngineer said:

Microcenter is an "if" though, considering how the intended prices of the skylake CPU's and mobo's are about 40$ lower it should be easier to find a store with cheaper skylake parts instead. Unless said store still has largely inflated skylake prices because they bough a massive shipment when they released.

I know its a big if. I always feel spoiled when I go to Microcenter and some of the people where I live dont even know about it. 299 for a 5820k is retardedly awesome!

10 minutes ago, Hunter7263 said:

I know its a big if. I always feel spoiled when I go to Microcenter and some of the people where I live dont even know about it. 299 for a 5820k is retardedly awesome!

Are you getting some other sale ontop with that price? From their website it says 319.99$ for me, a small difference, but notable. The non K skylake is the same price as the 5820K, the 6700K is more expensive.

For a better and similarly priced X99 build OP would need to get the 5820K from microcenter, and the mobo from elsewhere, I couldn't find a mobo cheaper that 169,99$, and that's a refurb mobo. For that price you can get a mid/high end Z170 mobo.

The 5820k is a better deal if you are buying from microcenter, but the mobo's, at least from what I could see, are not. 

Spoiler

In store the guy said they could sell it for 300 not the 320. Apparently they can have deals in store that isnt on the site. Plus they bundle gets 20 bucks off a mobo with the cpu purchase.